• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good approachings?

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I just played against a good friend of mine and his read on me is just too good. He punishes every ****ing roll of mine. But I don´t know good approachings for ICs. Wavedashing all the time isn´t that good,but wtf should I do? If he gets too close to me I start rolling around and hoping for the best. Please help me :dizzy:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you must be random and quickly change your style in the middle of battle , like once i started spamming fair and before he thought of a way to counter it i was dieing for a grab even when i was in control and then I was desysceing attack in the end he threw the controller at the tv and blaming the controller sigh thank you randomness

sorry about spelling

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
hm ok, so I should make some moves again and again so he´s trying to punish this style and then change it. thats a good idea, I should think about a "non-grab-style"...I have to read choknaters guide again^^

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
We need more details unless you put up a video. Who does your friend use? Can you use adv techniques?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i can do most of the chain throws (dthrow to dair) but mario is hard to chain throw i can desyse i just got better and try to make them think they have the edge on the game by taunting with just nana and who do they use marth? because you are must likely F***ed and stay on land

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
he used nearly all charakters and I lost -.- But don´t think I´d suck this hard, he´s one of the best Falco Players in europe. His metagame is soo ****ing amazing. I need general approchings, I´ll learn the spezific things later

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wow a pro yeah um does he try to get rid of one climber at a time? if so hm well play smash and look at his style know how both of you play and work with that and if we keep loseing don't worry or get mad (unless he spams a lot) just enjoy the game

cool a german

PB&J

Smash Hero
practice ur dash dancing, by doing this you will have more control over the icy's . after doing this alot do dash dance to wave dash in both directions, then dash dance to wavedash jab, then up tilt, f tilt, smash..hopefully u get my drift..the meaning of this is to control your character..dont worry about desynceing if u cant control your character and this will make you roll less trust me..try these alot ..but make sure u practice it because it will take some time getting use to

and wavedash to light sheild will help u..practice wavedashing out of your sheild in both directions

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
WD with your back turned to him and F-tilt.

And once it knocks him over you tech chase with grab and he dies and I'm happy, you're happy, and the dog is happy.

Alternatively, do a really long WD into SH Uair because everyone and their mother tries to platform camp them so ****-punt those *****es.

I find SH Bair is just amazing in general if they like to stick to the ground mostly because of its power but be careful with your WD momentum when you use it because it sort of frizzles your spacing a lot if you're not paying attention. The plus though is that it knocks people over ASAP and then you can tech chase with your massively amazing D-smashes and death grabs.

Dash attack Falcos if they're shooting you more than they should be.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Speaking of techchasing, f-air to jab/techchase is amazing. F-air in general isn't a good approach, though, but retreating f-air and stationary f-air are both worth using.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fair is stupidly good vs anyone who tries to beat you on the ground or follow aerials with a low vertical-range move (namely D-tilts but also in some cases D-smash *cough*Peach*cough*) or who approaches you with low vertical-range moves.

As an approach it is so-so but it's also your highest range aerial when you're facing someone so *shrugs* you have to be good with it I guess. It's one of those cases where you're going to be stuck using it not so much by choice but because it's the only move in your arsenal that fits that situation.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
a good approaches are:
Nair
the small knockback it gives is perfect for setting up grabs

Fair (use with caution, otherwise, its pretty good)
tech chase

Bair
leads to grabs and dsmashes also has good range

Ftilt
its fast, i usually do a wavedash ftilt because its a good 'surprise move

Dsmash
for obvious reasons

and wavedash jabs which set up beautifully for some nice grabs/dsmashes...

put in some mindgames there and you ll do fine man

PB&J

Smash Hero
are u serious..bair yoshi all day and up air just watch out for the dumb cc downsmash, it ***** icy's but beside that if yoshi or anyone is comboing nana i blizzard them to annoy them and save her..she is too good

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Bair beats CC.

All Yoshi has on IC is CC.

Thus perhaps we have winrar?

Oh and if he jumps away from you to DJC back towards the earth with blistering light speed just remember that he can do that and don't fall for it and then grab him for being so stupid with laggy aerials vs ICs mmkay?

If Yoshi is comboing you then stop being hit by Fair.

Top Bottom