• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to play a really good Zelda player... what should I do as a Snake main?

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Whats a good way to approach zelda when her din is out? and how do I cope up with her transformation to get rid of the c4? Basically the general stuff

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
I have a video on my facebook that pertains to this exact matchup, if you want to see it, send me a private message.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Snake is lanky which means you are simultaneously easy to hit with lightning kicks but also easy to accidentally hit with the sourspots. Essentially, never be caught in the air vs Zelda, as your only 'good' trade option is bair. This means that if she places a Din at ground level, either back away (giving her stage control) or clank it (if you have time, resetting to neutral). Fortunately, if you back away she still has to approach your trap game. She may also try to use Dins to detonate your dsmash, watch for that.

Do a button check before the match starts and see how long transform takes on that particular setup. If she transforms on the ground or near the ground, the C4 will still be able to hit her if you detonate it after transform ends. That then leaves her in hitstun (or shield if you mistime it) as Sheik, an easy character to combo. Also, most Zelda players have bad Sheiks, so I wouldn't worry about the transform too much.

Edit: If she places a Din above ground level, your best bet is probably to ignore it. Too difficult to clank, and it is only closing off air space you probably don't need anyway. If it is on the ground I think you don't want to jump over it as Snake, as that's probably what she wants and you have no options to stop her approach once you are in the air.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Remember Zelda's teleport has more startup than it appears--if she's in an easy spot off stage and you have time, Fair can work wonders for you!

As for stuff in general, Zelda's traps function a little differently than yours, but they can be somewhat telegraphic. What a lot of people forget because it's so new is the recall hit of Din's, which I keep repeating, but is actually worth it because it can just disrupt characters so much. Zelda will play gay with it and you can be just as with grenades, Down Smash, and Down B. While she can reflect your Side B, if you manage to land it on her, the guy who I play against with stick a Down B on me, which he can use for later or make me airdodge/shield using the fake detonation. As for later, because Zelda's light, after you stick the down B you can up throw at higher percents and Zelda will go up a LOT, then you can detonate your Down B and she will die. If she tries to transform to avoid the C4, if you read where she goes, you can just combo Sheik and possibly even gimp her, which is musch easier to do than gimping Zelda. (ex. if you're off stage and Sheik is going to try to get the edge, you could literally waveland to edgegrab, stay on the edge if Sheik is trying to sweetspot, or punish accordingly if she does land onstage. Much easier than Zelda who has an actual hitbox on the end of her recovery, can shorten it, and is less telegraphed)

For Din's, as 4tlas said you can clank them, but it depends on what you're going to do from there. It's really a judgment call. She can use Din's to mess with your projectiles and DSmash, but if she's doing it in a dumb way, just go over and hit her haha.

This isn't exactly related to the Zelda MU specifically, but I found this video while looking at Snake stuff and it is actually pretty neat. It might be somewhat harder against Zelda since her neutral B is quite good at disrupting stuff through platforms, but it's not bad at all. You could probably use it to set up into that throw combo I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
You forgot the video, TimeSmash. Also you were referring to up throw.

4tlas

Smash Lord
What are friends for? Also that video was ridiculous.

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys for the tips, i really appreciate it :)
And that video is pretty good, might try in implement it

Top Bottom