• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to my first tourney...

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I live in the seattle area of Washington, and I'm going to an Epeengaming monthlies tournament. SilentWolf will be there. Could anyone give me tips on placing high in the tournament?

Planning on using Falco.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I dont know your skill level, and i dont know how that area is, but my first tournament i got completely bodied all day. Which, while it destroyed my confidence for most of the day, i really learned alot just getting wrecked by better players. So i cant give you advice on how to place well, but all i can say is just have fun and go to learn!

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
Just stay calm. I remember my first tourney I was shaking. I performed terribly in Brawl(first event), but got top 8 in P:M (last event). Just stay comfortable and play your best. c;

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
Just remember, you're there to have fun playing a great game with people that share your passion.

Worrying about how well your doing compared to others will just stress you out and make you play worse.
There really are no great tips on how to place high, other than: keep playing and keep having fun.

If you keep that mindset, the tournament will be a BLAST! (regardless of how you placed)

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I am a little nervous because I have one controller that is way off sync, and my other one might have gotten a little off sync.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
ok that makes more sense haha. it shouldnt be that big of a deal if you are used to it, but if its something that bothers you maybe get a new controller =D

pierre11167

Smash Rookie
NNID
pierre11167
I live in the seattle area of Washington, and I'm going to an Epeengaming monthlies tournament. SilentWolf will be there. Could anyone give me tips on placing high in the tournament?

Planning on using Falco.
good chance

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
Good luck dude. I won my first two online tourneys but got DESTROYED at a real life tourney. Don't forget to try to face everyone when you can!

Vandire

Smash Cadet
My first tourney was UFGT X as far as Smash goes. That was nerve racking. I did a ton of tournaments for Starcraft before Smash, and still continue to do so. here and there before I full time Smash. The lesson I learned as look at the player as if he's just another player. Whether it be SilentWolf or even a classmate, treat them as if their just a player, and you'd be surprised how much better you can play. Also go to have fun. Yes, losing can be discouraging, it's normal to be a little salt, but the important thing is to have fun and have a great time with the other players there.

But good luck to you in this tournament and any future ones!

Last edited:

Cerebellum

Smash Rookie

Planning on using Falco.
honestly you should message Dr PeePee he seems to respond to everyone and his falco is amazing :) cheers

Senario

Smash Ace
"Congratulations" (melee anouncer)

Now, I think most of the stuff has been covered. Stay calm, mind your fundamentals and tech, and most of all have fun!

I got bodied in the first tournament I went to, It was a big tournament so I didn't make it out of pools (second to last place in pools, but socal lol). But it was one of the best experiences I've ever had while getting bodied XD. Everybody was really friendly and playing friendlies was really great. Also, seeing some pros in person is quite different than seeing them in a video.

Pew Pew U was there, M2k, Ken, and Hbox off the top of my head. (Hbox and M2k in doubles is freaking scary).

Everybody loves the game and that is why they are there. Having fun is the number 1 thing on any tournament list. Because if you aren't having fun, why are you there?

Cerebellum

Smash Rookie
"Congratulations" (melee anouncer)

Now, I think most of the stuff has been covered. Stay calm, mind your fundamentals and tech, and most of all have fun!

I got bodied in the first tournament I went to, It was a big tournament so I didn't make it out of pools (second to last place in pools, but socal lol). But it was one of the best experiences I've ever had while getting bodied XD. Everybody was really friendly and playing friendlies was really great. Also, seeing some pros in person is quite different than seeing them in a video.

Pew Pew U was there, M2k, Ken, and Hbox off the top of my head. (Hbox and M2k in doubles is freaking scary).

Everybody loves the game and that is why they are there. Having fun is the number 1 thing on any tournament list. Because if you aren't having fun, why are you there?
thanks and I'm sure it will be fun :)

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I remember my first tourney, I sat down for a friendly match against a guy and won. Huge confidence boost. Then we switched to his main and bodied me. Tourneys are always a learning experience, for me at least.

Hzashimi

Smash Rookie
honestly you should message Dr PeePee he seems to respond to everyone and his falco is amazing :) cheers
PPMD also has very interesting insight into the game. I strongly agree with Cerebellum that you reach out, especially if you plan on maining falco.

Top Bottom