• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going from Casual to Netplay (Fox/Sheik/Marth)

Who should I focus on maining in Melee as I go from casual to a semi-competitive level?

• Fox

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Sheik

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Marth

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Dual main Sheik/Marth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
I pick up 20XX every once in a while and practice and with netplay becoming more and more of a thing I was thinking I might migrate over to that but I kinda wanna train myself up a little first before I go on netplay.
Since I play Melee so infrequently I can't even consistently wavedash yet (with any character). IDK how good the average netplay Melee player is but I assume I'd prob get bopped pretty badly which I'm okay with but I feel like it would be more beneficial for me to practice more tech skill first.
There's prob not a huge gap in how good my Fox is compared to my Sheik/Falco/Puff/Marth bc I've always been kinda play half the roster kinda guy. So I'm wondering if I should practice more with Sheik or even Marth instead of Fox. I genuinely enjoy all 3 characters so it's not a matter of just who is the most fun I'm just wondering if trying to master ledge dashing and wavedashing and multishining with Fox is kind of like jumping into the deep end. I've played a decent amount of Marth in melee, brawl, brawl plus, PM and sm4sh. My friend that I used to always play Melee with was a Sheik main so I have a lot of practice against Sheik in Melee so I think that helps my general understanding of her. (Idk how much sm4sh skill transfers back to melee less it's good practice spacing your moves with marth but I dual main Sheik/Marth in sm4sh).
There aren't tournaments near me so I don't intend on being like tournament level but I still want to get better in general. I find in sm4sh that even though my Fox is pretty good I find myself doing "Fox melee things" when I should be doing "Fox sm4sh things" like shining instead of up tilting. But I'm not too worried about like playing the same character in one game ruining or hurting my character in another. I know the frame data and range and dmg of moves is all different but I feel like Melee and Sm4sh are different enough I could play the same characters in both. Thoughts?

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
Sheik is the best character to learn strong melee fundamentals on. Where is your region? I doubt you're utterly tournamentless.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
Sheik is the best character to learn strong melee fundamentals on. Where is your region? I doubt you're utterly tournamentless.
Upstate NY so like NYC has a ton of tournies but it's several hours away. Like once every two years there's a random 1 day tourney like an hour from me. It's pretty uncommon. But yeah I'm leaning a bit more towards Sheik right now.

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
Upstate NY so like NYC has a ton of tournies but it's several hours away. Like once every two years there's a random 1 day tourney like an hour from me. It's pretty uncommon. But yeah I'm leaning a bit more towards Sheik right now.
Where in Upstate? I'm in Buffalo and we have 2 biweeklies. I also know a couple people that would gladly netplay.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
Where in Upstate? I'm in Buffalo and we have 2 biweeklies. I also know a couple people that would gladly netplay.
I'm nowhere near Buffalo. More towards Albany. There aren't any weeklies or monthlies at all that I know of there. But anywhere in NY is prob close enough for netplay. Just wanna practice some more tech skill and basic fundamentals first.

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
I'm nowhere near Buffalo. More towards Albany. There aren't any weeklies or monthlies at all that I know of there. But anywhere in NY is prob close enough for netplay. Just wanna practice some more tech skill and basic fundamentals first.
I know that University of Albany has a Smash Club, hell I'm pretty sure 2saint is from out that way

Choop

Smash Rookie
I have trouble finding any tourneys listed for the capital district on here, maybe there's other places to look but I just haven't found any

Top Bottom