• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God of the Past vs God of the Future.....

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
Bronx NY, Pasadena California "Tag name: KS13

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Try not to go for grab attacks on early percents. If they are a competent player they will break out (which, the Link you are facing does do) better to just go for a throw instantly instead of risking it. Especially on Link since uthrow/dthrow can be pretty boss against him.

need more upsmash!!! it's a magnificent move especially if you land behind someone's shield and they shield it, cause they almost always try to jump out of their shield. upsmash is raaaape at starting combos!

Might want to work on edgeguarding some - try some weird **** out sometimes, it might work. YL is one of the most versatile edge guarding mugs around. Nair is like a big mack truck going HONK HONK and just running over anyone (especially Link's up B) from coming back vrroooom... nevermind me I just woke up haha

Link's up B seems to catch you a bit often at the edge. Try being a little more patient, I guess, play cat and mouse. Stay on the edge and if he up B's, leap up with a falling uair to start a combo! fun stuff. yum.

will watch 4-7 later today, keep up the YL work son!

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Wow I haven't seen a L vs YL in ages!!! That was pretty entertaining to me =) It's about time we see a new YL and also L.

Do you play with some of the Pasadena players in California? Theres some, you should find some on the regionals so you can play them =)

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
Wow I haven't seen a L vs YL in ages!!! That was pretty entertaining to me =) It's about time we see a new YL and also L.

Do you play with some of the Pasadena players in California? Theres some, you should find some on the regionals so you can play them =)
Already have, and won.

But I'm back in NYC so until Genesis, I'm going to face GERM.
He's my Target.

I will have more up soon.

Brawl is great and all but I miss my Young Link. I'm back and ready to kick booty

rhan

Smash Hero
I have just figured out that my Wii loads videos than my computer (take that dial up!). I'm watching the vids now and will edit this post with critque.

Edit 1: I have just finished watching all videos. I'll post critque and such tomorrow morning at school. Goodnight and see y'all in the morning.

Edit 2:

Video#1

- It's better to drop bombs rather than throwing them while the enemy is below you.
- When being shield pressured especially by such a slow move like Link's up tilt, up B out of shield. It's a good move to rack dammage and it also sends a little message to the enemy "GTFO". After they get hit they're bound to retreat.
- You was out of range of Link's up B good, but the punish was horrible. F-smash isn't a reliable killer. Link was at 168%. Dash attack would have worked so much better and could potentially killed him or se him up for easy edge gaurding.(2:23)
- Dair from the edge into the oblivion? Please tell me that was an accident. When Link is below you chaining the stage try to Nair him out of it. Chances are that it would be unexpected and kill him. Also since the move has little lag you'll be able to recover from it.
- Link's up B catches you off gaurd at times while you're in the air. Stay grounded. This way you'll be able to either put your shield up (Ex: 3:44) before it hits or potentially hit the ground and tech so you won't fly far.
- Started using your head on the last stock. Always thinking a little ahead is good. Like after you threw up you shield up knowing he was going to dair it.

Video#2

- Never try to return with a Uair. Not even trying to hit when off stage. Since there was no other move to really do at that moment up B could have saved your life. If he'd hit you during it then you could have tried to DI towards the stage and tech off the wall. If he didn't you would have made it back. Probably just another mistake you made but meh.
- If you see him shielding never attack his shield. If he was smart enough then he could have up B'd out of shield. Insted grab him out of the shield. Grab > Sheild.
- Good shielding the up B, but I noticed when you grab and throw down you up tilt thinking it'll always connect? It won't work on Link at percents like that unless he trys to jump. Usually people try and tech the landing. When that happens follow his DI or tech and attack where he's going.

Video#3

- Good control on the first stock.
- Got up B'd for not staying grounded.
- I noticed you keep charging at the Link. SOmetimes camp and try to get him to come to you.
- Young Link used Edge Hop? Link used SKRAAAAAAH! At the edge there isn't much to you can do. Try to avid getting hit by the up B though. I suggest edge refreshing and trying to trick him to up his up B. If you're quick enough with the edge refreshing you should be able to edge hop and strike with the edge invincibility.
- Now it looks like you're spamming moves towards him in hopes that he runs into them. Don't spam moves. Insted spam the projectiles.
- You tried to up B cancel to grab the edge and failed. It's so much safer to just waveland off and grab the edge because that usually never fails. But if you know the timming to he up B cancel then be my guest, do it.

Video#4

- 2 Dairs back to back from both players and neither of them L-Canceled? Missed L-Cancels lead can lead to death. Especially when it's such a laggy move.
- Never approach an enemy with the dair. Nairs are the approaching aireal.
- I saw more than once you tried to grab D-throw utilt and failed. Try following DI and techs.
- Good shield pressure with the double jump nairs off the fin. Not the safest thing but it worked. Mindgames?
- You were on the edge when he up B'd then you edge hop'ed into it??? Like I was saying before that one of the mistakes he can do. He up B'd early. Once his up B was over you could have taken advantage of that. Maybe you was thinking too far ahead. Think about the moment not what you thought.

Video#5

- Battlefield. Such a good stage for Young Link when fighting Link.He usually relys on the grapple more than the up B recovery. The stage almost kills his grapple recovery while Young Link's main recovery is up B. But it is a small stage. Main focus is to get him off quick for easy gimps.
- Run off stage air dodge?
- Link was on the platform above and you tried Fair-ing and Bair-ing? Insted use SHFFL Uairs. It's pretty fast and if he shields, you can quickly catch him with another if he tries to jump away.
- Up B out of shielded you. You can't pop the bubble shield no matter how many slices of the sword you use (Ironic no?). Grab him.
- You let him back on... I made the same mistake in my very first crew battle. Lead to defeat pretty quick. Anyway when attemping the edge hog roll in. The game thinks that you're still grabing the edge ntil you completly finish the rolling animation. Until then no one can grab that ****.
- Link's and Young Link's up smash has like little/no lag time so after you do it you can do another move. U-smash as a shield pressure usually has people think that you're open for an attack. They'll probably try a shield grab causeing a sheild drap allowing you to sneak in a D-smash.
- LOL. That up B edge cancel off the platform was sexy. You almost fooled him with it. +1 Young Link points.
- At the end you were just asking him to take your last stock. You kept charging into his up B's.

Video#6

- You kept god pressure until that F-smash happened. I'm assuming it was a mstake.
- You waited for the up B to finish. GOOD JOB! You're learning. I'm proud. :')
- Arrow set up into Dair was hawt.
- You're doing very well this round. Playing smart and playing in the now rather than the thoughts.
- He missed the grab and you punished well. Then Bomberang gimped the recovery. Well done.
- Nice. Dodged that up B. You're catching on to his habits.
- You gotta L-Cancel them Dairs.
- Fair -> Dash Attack -> Nair. All SHFFL'd too. Amazing. Took out his 3rd stock, but ther e's a lot more video left. Does he make a comeback?
- Since he's on your **** a lot, up B out of shield to rack that damage so the kill comes sooner. Always do it once they attack your shield. It catches most opponets off gaurd causing them to regroup. If they start to catch on to that and grab, it's time to change strait.
- Link failure at the end.

Overall my favorite match.

Video#7

- Good chain miss punish.
- See what happens when let him come to you? (1:06)
- The up B was going to happen. That time he just waited on you. Edge refreshing into an invincibly Nair might have got him away. I don't know.
- Good up B edge cancel edge hog.
- Dair as an edge gaurd for the lose.

Overall you have a pretty solid Young Link. Little rough around the edges but if you stick around we'll be able to smooth them out. But if you listen and practice the things us Young Link players say you could become a pretty good Young Link in time. Keep playing our little Korkiri Warrior. Low tiers 4 lyfe.

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, honestly, I'm getting better and better ever since I've went back to Melee, apparently I can't train much since there isn't people who plays smash that lives around me.

There's only one person that has helped me with great advice and that's the one and only Best Young Link in the world Young Jash.

Some of my moves I've learned from him.

If only there were more smashers that plays Melee in NYC that could help me train.

Also my Dair Cancel, I use it a lot, but my timing is off sometimes so that's why I failed on that part.

rhan

Smash Hero
I don't live in NY and I can tell you for sure that there are players up there. Try looking under the "Regional Zone" Atlantic North and look for some kind of NY social thread. I'll post one here if I find one.

But I know some Melee players that live in NY. "F8 is RiPPiN" is one and "Alukard". Those are just some that come to mind instantly.

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that'd be great.
Most of my friends hate Melee and likes brawl.

ugh, no offense but Brawl is boring as heck.

I need someone to train with in Melee, I'm going to Genesis soon so I must be ready

Which reminds me, did you watch my last video?
Not the YL vs L,
There's another I put up

rhan

Smash Hero
I just got done watching it and this is what I got from it.

Extra Video

Ok Young Link vs Falcon. One of my most easiest matchups as Young Link. That was an easy first stock...This Falcon isn't playing with a full deck is he? Ok this Falcon doesn't really get the jist of how to play Falcon...I'll try to critique both sides.

Young Link:

- Easy first stock. When fighting Falcon try to get him on the platforms. When Falcon is above you go for that Uair. It catches him off gaurd and since he's a fast faller it'll be easy to combo him into death.
- You're already pro at the matchup. Nair usually beats every aireal Falcon has. Even the Knee.
- Good shield pressure. Jabs can scare most opponents. I usually try to jab wait a little to pull the second jab out then D-smash. Scares them to either jump or roll behind or away.
- Agh. You gotta use those Uairs. (1:16) That was a perfect time to start juggling him.
- Upon edge hoppoing I would suggest to either Uair back on or Nair. That way you get him away from the edge long enough for you to get back on. If he catches on to that then switch up and just edge jump back on. Chances are that he won't see it comming.
- Keeping good pressure. (2:33). Making sure he doesn't get the chance to set you up for death.
- Bomberang gimp at the end. Nice.

Falcon:

- Bad start. When going against Young Link it's best to get those grab combos. Young Link usually gets chained grabed by Falcon pretty easily at low percents. Then when you want grab throw up into a knee. Works 95% of the time.
- D-smashing on the top platform?
- Don't high hop when trying to pop him up with the Dair. Try SHFFLing the Dairs and shield pressure his ***.
- You're high hopping too much. Making you slow and a potentionally easy target.
- Random nipple spike for hilarity. I laughed. But it's not smart for serious play.
- You'll probably want the opponent above you so you can get the simple knees while they're on the platforms. Like a grab throw up. Let them plop then see what they do next. Then strike thier location with a knee. They won't have much room to move since those were tiny platforms.
- Gotta work on short hopping. You could have had that Knee if you short hopped.
- Good control. Risky knee if you would have fast falled but overall it killed and you came back.
- Falcon was made to SD. Gotta control the character's speed at all times. Since it's a small stage being fast wouldn't be an advantage if you cannot control it.
- Since the bomberang hit you and he was on the edge for the edge hog might as well ried for the cloud recovery. I never trust the cloud though.

Also Genesis is no joke. Eveyone who plays Melee will be there. Too bad I can't go. :(

I hope you excell though. We need a Young Link rep there.

Edit: Also Also: Here's a NY finder. I don't know how good it may be. But it's a start to finding people in your area. Just introduce yourself, what games you play, characters, and why you entered the smash community. Just for starters.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208594

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
lol Sad part is, I'm part Californian and Part New Yorker.

So I'll be repping Young Link on both sides since I'm best over there anyway.

I know how tough it is, I've faced tougher opponents before.

Germ is who I'm after, I want to see his Link in action.

I'll try and post for NY Smashers to train with.

rhan

Smash Hero
We're ****** the thread. Let's continue the conversation over AiM or in PM's. Lol

Also I forgot the finder link in the last post. I just put it in so check that out when you have the chance. :)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
**** Rhan, good **** on those comments. that is some in depth feedback right there. gooood ****

and yo does Jash play anymore? I'm gonna do something stupid like money match him lol

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
**** Rhan, good **** on those comments. that is some in depth feedback right there. gooood ****

and yo does Jash play anymore? I'm gonna do something stupid like money match him lol

Um...well Jash does play but sometimes. He's grown tired of brawl because of how boring it is and he's sometimes into melee. You can hardly see him in tournaments now.

If he does show up and see's a Melee game on, he'd definitely go for it for like around 3 matches or so.

If you're gonna MM him, good luck, I gave him a good fight last time I Faced him in a YL ditto. But he's still too good for me to beat.

rhan

Smash Hero

It's easy to point out mistakes when you're not the one playing. Vise versa, it's difficult because you don't see your own mistakes unless they're mad obvious. I have that state of mind where I think I'm doing everything right.

Which is why I want the active Young Link players here to crtique my videos when they can. Expect an *** load of videos by next weekend. Huge tourney Saturday and I'm taking my VCR! Hopefully I can get my Young Link ditto with Chu if he shows his face. :)

Um...well Jash does play but sometimes. He's grown tired of brawl because of how boring it is and he's sometimes into melee. You can hardly see him in tournaments now.

If he does show up and see's a Melee game on, he'd definitely go for it for like around 3 matches or so.

If you're gonna MM him, good luck, I gave him a good fight last time I Faced him in a YL ditto. But he's still too good for me to beat.
Has Jash fell off? He doesn't post here anymore so I thought he'd quit. :( I would only want to play his at the top of his game. Otherwise it's not the same if I win. I want challenges.

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
Has Jash fell off? He doesn't post here anymore so I thought he'd quit. :( I would only want to play his at the top of his game. Otherwise it's not the same if I win. I want challenges.

He hasn't fell off, he's just bored of brawl because of the BS that happens most of the time. He maybe going back to melee but he did tell me he's sometimes tired of fighting games now. He did say he's going to let go of it for a while to rest, he should be back soon but I'm not sure when, he's training me though like giving me tips and learning the matchups. Thanks to him I've learned a lot and learning more.

btw Good luck, I think Chu doesn't play Young Link anymore so I've heard.

rhan

Smash Hero

He hasn't fell off, he's just bored of brawl because of the BS that happens most of the time. He maybe going back to melee but he did tell me he's sometimes tired of fighting games now. He did say he's going to let go of it for a while to rest, he should be back soon but I'm not sure when, he's training me though like giving me tips and learning the matchups. Thanks to him I've learned a lot and learning more.
Jash is amazing. He needs to post around on the Young Link boards and help us out again.... If he gives up Smash that'll crush my spirit. :(

btw Good luck, I think Chu doesn't play Young Link anymore so I've heard.
He still should. I asked him last Summer at a NC tourney if he still played Young Link. He told me yeah and it only has been about 8 months since then....

I just shot down my own hopes.... He better still play Young Link.

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
I'll tell him, he just needs time to let go of the game for a while, it's stressful. Brawl takes away the fun for the fact that all the BS goes in that game.

He's had a rough time in it ever since that incident at Get G.I.M.P.E.D

For now he just needs rest.

I'll tell him though to get him to the Young Link boards again.

Laijin

Smash Hero
LOL Hey, watch it, me first, he's the one training me and I want to test my new abilities against him.

Besides, To be the best you have to take down the best, and that's what I'm gonna do.
True true. Which is why my plan is to take and beat all of the best YLs in the nation.
I'm gonna rematch Chu next time I see him and MM Jash the next time I see him as well. I also need to play Chip and a few others. :|

Looks like its time for a smash road trip in the near future ;)

rhan

Smash Hero
Laijin you better add me to that list. I'm an up and comming pro Young Link. Get at me son!

For real though. I'll hopefully have videos of my Young Link up soon. Going to play this weekend with others and get matches recorded. Watch for those. :)

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
True true. Which is why my plan is to take and beat all of the best YLs in the nation.
I'm gonna rematch Chu next time I see him and MM Jash the next time I see him as well. I also need to play Chip and a few others. :|

Looks like its time for a smash road trip in the near future ;)
Hehe, start going through me dude, I'm third best Young Link in the East. Better watch yourself. MM me dude if you dare.

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
Wait a sec. If your third best, then who is above you?
Better be me and Jash. ;)

XD
Nope not you sir

Jash is one of the since he's top.
But the only one standing in my way now is Ninjalink since Young Link is Second main to him.
I've never faced him nor have I placed higher than him in a tournament before so yeah he's the one in my way of being the Next Young King.

Laijin

Smash Hero
XD
Nope not you sir

Jash is one of the since he's top.
But the only one standing in my way now is Ninjalink since Young Link is Second main to him.
I've never faced him nor have I placed higher than him in a tournament before so yeah he's the one in my way of being the Next Young King.
That does'nt count. Ninjalink and Jash are in the same area.
Your forgetting about all the other east coast YLs.

Vanz, me, SmashMac, ChuDat(Does'nt play, but he still one of best)...I think thats it. haha. There might be a couple of more that I can't think of at the moment, but theres probably a couple of more.
I don't like placing YLs in tiers, but based off of tournaments and experience, you can't really claim third especially when the 4 YL players mentioned above have a lot more experience and such. You gotta fight your way up to the top bro. Its anyone's game really. Jash is probably at the top, but to my knowledge he has not fought Chudat, Smashmac or Me(He may have played Vanz).
Anyways. I really wanna play you guys. It'll be crazy fun sets.

Slademj15

Smash Apprentice
I want some matches too.
There is a chance of me coming up to NY for a week in july.
And I'll be the first to greet ya. And get pwned by me hehe
j/k I want to face you.

I hear you have a good Young Link, now I want to test that to see if it's true.
I'm going to Genesis this summer to support East Coast but to all Young Link Mains out there.

So I must be ready

rhan

Smash Hero
I feel so ignored Laijin. :(

One of these days I have to road trip to NY and play all those Young Linker's up there. I think G$ played Young Link down here in SoVA when he came down.

Cia

das kwl
just check the atlantic north forums often. there's always something going on. or if anything, ask jash if you keep in touch with him.

like for example, today is DJ Nintendo's HUGE birthday smashfest. and it's in the bronx. you could've been there.

Top Bottom