• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glorious Uptilt

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
After hearing that Dsome people are having some problems with kirby, it got me thinking of some ways to counter a kirby or any other character that likes to jump up and come down on top of you with a dair. I know it can be frustrating as heck cause if you are like me you try to upsmash them and it does nothing. So I decided to try out what an uptilt will cancel out if anything, since upsmashes don't work. So i did some testing, nothing major just quick stuff. But here is what I got....

Kirby's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it, if you mistime it and he still gets the dair on you just keep trying to uptilt because you can hit him right after and he can't get in a fsmash or dsmash
GW's Dair- Uptilt DOESN'T work! Neither does upsmash, best thing is to run away or if you can jump and upair.
Fox's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it. Same thing goes for fox that went for kirby
DDD's Dair- Uptilt DOESN"T work! Neither does upsmash..not to sure if upair does, but i doubt it....
Falco's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it. Most of the time it will just hit and cancel both attacks, if this happens try to uptilt again because he can still dair fairly quickly after so don't get caught
JigglyPuff's Dair- Uptitl DOESN"T WORK! Neither does upsmash...again not sure about upair...
Wario's Dair- Uptilt cancels it or outprioritizes it. Same thing as fox and kirby...
Ness's Dair- Uptilt or upsmash DON"T work

That is all of the testing I got done, since those characters generally use the dair approach on us olimars. So next time instead of trying to upsmash or shield grab, try an uptilt and surprise them, it might make them think twice about using it so much. But don't use it too much because smart players with kirby can play mindgames and just float above you wait till you uptilt and then punish you anyways. Or a fox can shine stall above you and do the same. The uptilt only outprioritizes these dairs when he is still rising or at the top, NOT ON THE WAY DOWN. So try to time it right. Also does NOT work for bairs from kirby or ddd and I am assuming most other characters bairs and fairs....so make sure not to get caught trying it if they don't dair and they bair or something. Good luck and hope it helps! Sorry if someone already said all of this, if so flame me all you want, i was just too lazy to look for it, lol. ALSO this was up in the NC-Echo Guide for like a week but no one saw it or if you did you didn't respond...I just wanted a lot of people to see this...

Zacke

Smash Cadet
How about Ganondorf? Lol.

This is pretty good, I've had troubles with Wario and u-tilt haven't crossed my mind.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
It works wonders against Wario's short hop Dair! They won't know what is going on!

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Most floaty characters will float around and use Dair, its a pain. Nair works vs foxes Dair really well. If kirby is floating around alot i suggest you start up+b'ing him. Goes for DDD too. Ive noticed that Uptilt works good vs kirby and jiggly but its hard to use, seems to outprioritise a few of their moves.

Zori

Smash Champion
Wow Kmay this is really good info thanks for testing this out. Cause we all know how wario likes those downairs.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I think a better move to test against Olimar's u-tilt is Kirby's b-air, since that is what a Kirby is going to use for an aerial approach.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
Haha yea i alerady tried the bair with Kirby as i wrote in my first post.

Awex

Smash Lord
I knew this move was priori-tastic, but I don't play enough wario's so I wasn't aware it stopped dair. Good to know.

Utilt is glorious. =)

Top Bottom