• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Global Character Guides - Mr. Game & Watch

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hello, all! For those that don't know me, I'm Virg. I moderate things. I'm also in charge of the newly founded Discussion Leader group and I had an idea sprout in my head not too long ago.

Every individual character board is quite different and many are truly contrasting. Seeing as how I'm tasked with encouraging discussion and help throughout the boards, I thought that maybe encouraging some similar layouts on each board would help new people (or board hermits) that eventually strolled into other boards. Not that they would get lost, but just that it would be easier and the process alone would be gratifying.

So with that, I'm here for a proposition (not of that kind!): a reformatting and update of the character guide, if it needs one. I see that you guys run a very tight ship here and that's good! I see all the good threads...and they seem to remain updated. You guys are pretty good as is and probably wouldn't have to do too much. But I digress.

So for those of you that don't want to read: I would like to try to get every character board to clean up and organize their character board guides/stickies. Some are fine as is. Others...not so much. I'm asking this for a shot of dialogue and cross communication throughout the boards as well as making the stickies less cluttersome.

So, what do you guys say? This is all voluntary. Just wanted to try to spruce the boards up a bit

If you have any questions, please ask away.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i happen to agree with this, most character boards are either too messy or don't even have a solid guide.

IMO, the guide, character discussion, video thread, question thread have pretty good place there (i realize im bias lol).

i think that the directory is kinda useless, considering the really important threads are stickied. If this thread really does need to exist, then it should be merged into the first post of the questions thread.

the get to know people on the gw boards, seems nice at first, but video thread will help people understand who the important gw players are. Anyone else mentioned in this thread are just looking for attention imo.

stage discussion isn't really indepth enough to deserve a sticky, nor will there really ever be enough information there to deserve a sticky. IMO, probably should be listed in the questions sticky after the merger.

anyone have any thoughts on all of this?

Neb

Smash Lord
i happen to agree with this, most character boards are either too messy or don't even have a solid guide.

IMO, the guide, character discussion, video thread, question thread have pretty good place there (i realize im bias lol).

i think that the directory is kinda useless, considering the really important threads are stickied. If this thread really does need to exist, then it should be merged into the first post of the questions thread.

the get to know people on the gw boards, seems nice at first, but video thread will help people understand who the important gw players are. Anyone else mentioned in this thread are just looking for attention imo.

stage discussion isn't really indepth enough to deserve a sticky, nor will there really ever be enough information there to deserve a sticky. IMO, probably should be listed in the questions sticky after the merger.

anyone have any thoughts on all of this?
I think the directory is a suitable sticky. It serves dual purposes, archiving the enlightening threads and navigating people to free-roaming information, saving them the sweat of combing through the boards many pages. The directory is one of the reasons the board is so neat, as it limits the demand for stickies.

The 'Get to Know..." thread is fine, it fills others in on the individual behind the character. But its not necessary, keep it or boot it, I don't mind.

Stage Discussion thread is better off in the directory, IMO.

EDIT: If we do decide to consolidate the Q&A and the Directory threads, I would like to take over the OP...
That way I can still update it, and also have it function as a social/general discussion thread.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Imo when I want to know more information about a character, it's usually one of the follow:

1. Frame data for each of the character's attacks, dodges, and grabs.
  2. Specific advantages/disadvantages against the other characters in the game, not necessarily matchup discussions.
  3. A good list of videos of top players to help me learn how to play the character. I learn from these more easily than "How-to-play character guides."
  4. Any useful tricks. Most characters have a bunch of useful little tricks up their sleeves, but they are usually hard to find.

Also, having the "Ask a simple question, get a simple answer" thread seems to always be useful. I know a lot of top players will subscribe to their characters' thread to help answer questions quickly and accurately. It also helps reduce spam.

tl;dr

Frame Data + Strengths/Weaknesses + Videos + Little Tricks

Top Bottom