• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glitch - Double Up-b

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
So, uh. About a day after the 1.0.6. patch, I encountered a strange glitch fighting a Bowser, where Mr. G&Ws recovery was used twice consecutively.

I don't know why, but when I was playing I just suddenly decided to use up-b when I was already in the parachute. I was real desperate for any way to attack. Then it actually worked.

I have no idea why it could've; there were no damaging wind boxes or anything of the sort, so I'm a little confused.

Video:
http://youtu.be/vaXLuDwFq2M

I know it's a little disappointing this isn't an on-command thing. I tried for a bit to recreate it, and I got no results.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
I am attempting recreation. Please tell me, to the best of your recollection, what your inputs were.

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
I am attempting recreation. Please tell me, to the best of your recollection, what your inputs were.
Sorry for not responding sooner.
Eh, I'm not the best at describing stuff like this but I'll try.

From the looks of it, two slightly forward hops, about the same timing as a heartbeat (the peak of the jump being about right beside GW's previous vertical position).Then an up-b in the opposite direction, held in that direction for about a second, then the second one is used.

I re-recorded this in 120 FPS (although still technically 60 due to game limits) and slowed it down for a more accurate analysis

http://youtu.be/0_5_VOfwPIc

Last edited:

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
What I think happened was Bowser 'ghost-footstooled' you
which seems to happen pretty often in this game online--
you get the jump of a footstool without affecting the character you 'footstooled' at all.

It's strange that he'd be able to ghost-footstool you during your upB,
but you get your upB back after a footstool and the proximity of his jump to your head at the time makes me believe it was probably that.

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
Ooohhhhh you're right.

It seems like ghost footstooling isn't just an online thing - I've noticed CPU's do it whenever they're above you. I've done once myself before too. I assume it just happens when you're too high above someone to have it count as an actual footstool?

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Ooohhhhh you're right.

It seems like ghost footstooling isn't just an online thing - I've noticed CPU's do it whenever they're above you. I've done once myself before too. I assume it just happens when you're too high above someone to have it count as an actual footstool?
No. Footstools don't affect the opponent in the traditional sense if they're using an attack, though the instigator still jumps from it. I guess it still registers as an interruption though, haha.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I just encountered a Game and Watch user performing the double up-b glitch. I was playing For Glory and it totally caught me by surprise. I have no idea what triggers the glitch. Maybe some perfect frame input?

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Is this a glitch?

I played an insane game and watch today, and his recovery was ridiculous. He was on the bottom of the screen but he zoomed up to the ledge like Lucario.

I was getting pissed because I knew G&W never had that good of a recovery but he was so far off the map and just darting right at the ledge.

Sixell

Smash Cadet
I think I get it now. Game and Watch was footstooled during the invincible part of the move, therefore he didn't get the negative effect of the footstool but the positive one: an extra chance to use Fire. This happens around 0:09 for the slowed down video.

Is this a glitch?

I played an insane game and watch today, and his recovery was ridiculous. He was on the bottom of the screen but he zoomed up to the ledge like Lucario.

I was getting pissed because I knew G&W never had that good of a recovery but he was so far off the map and just darting right at the ledge.
And no, it's not a glitch. Game and Watch just has an amazing recovery move. The speed and vertical height is just crazy.

Top Bottom