• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

gliding angles

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Ive been messing around with this for a while and ive found it beneficial when you are gliding at your opponent from off the ledge and they are standing on the edge, to come from below on the glide, hit them but since you are on your way back up with the glide you end up right next to them and are set up for an aerial.

Thoughts? Improvements? Critiques?

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Generally my enemies have realized they can't out prioritize the glide attack so they would just back off the ledge and hit me after the glide attack. The use of this really seems dependent on how quickly the opponents character will be able to punish a missed glide attack.

On the topic of gliding angles I've noticed that if you get a very vertical glide like this technique suggest you can get fairly low percent vertical kill I think the best I've done with that is kill a shiek in the 60% range (this tends to be more valid on maps you can go through like delphino, halberd and rainbow cruise).

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
yea but every now and then someone thinks that they will punish you or try to go for a meteor, oh and interesting on vert glide = increased launch distance

do any of you guys ever do dives only to pull back up and dive again for a glide attack to mess up opponents? yay mind games

CORY

wut
BRoomer
seriously? it gives increased launch distance when you pull up? that's nice to know...

i usually just do that to maximize range on glide when my opponent knows they can beat it out from above; keeps you safe and uses all of the range.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
yea but every now and then someone thinks that they will punish you or try to go for a meteor, oh and interesting on vert glide = increased launch distance

do any of you guys ever do dives only to pull back up and dive again for a glide attack to mess up opponents? yay mind games
Yes, that is one of the real beauties of Pit's glides. Pretty much every time he is launched at a 30-60 degree angle from the stage, he has a million different approaches to get back on stage. If you go under the stage to get to the other side enough, you can eventually feint, pull back, and whack your opponent unexpectingly. If you can get really good at it, you can do a "wiggle" and make Pit move in a SIN curve (yay math) to throw off their timing. I'm not sure if the SIN curve actually maeks a difference in real timing, but it most players will be unprepared for it and panic. Go Pit!

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
seriously? it gives increased launch distance when you pull up? that's nice to know...
not really increased launch distance just entirely vertical knockback. Its nice to have, because pit has trouble with vertical kills and vertical kills are often the best ... if you have them. I've only gotten it off once though (its not to hard to make sure you don't get hit from underneath and my opponents learned pretty fast) but its a nice option to have.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you can get really good at it, you can do a "wiggle" and make Pit move in a SIN curve (yay math) to throw off their timing.
Love math!. There are two things I do.
1. I like to go into a dive and as soon as I see them retreat to met me at the other side, I cancel the glide with a jump back on the stage. It is a fun way to fake them out.
2. I find that gliding up from below the ledge is good because then you have that upward momentum after the hit and you go past them.

I'm trying to find a way to bypass the auto ledge snap feature while gliding..

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
would be nice to not have auto ledge, and sorry to be hella nerdy with math and all but it would be a COS curve since you start at the top then dip down and up.... how i get b's in math i do not know haha

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol, you are right it is a COS if you are going to the right. If you are gliding left, then it all depends where you end up though since you read from left to right. Love math. :p

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Lol, you guys are such nitpickers with that SIN comment. I should have just said sinusoidally or whatever.

Back to Brawl: SOmetimes, doing a high float into a down-floating down-b shield can be a life saver onto the stage. This is very useful versus characters with projectiles and/or strong up-smashes/tilts. Just know when to let go of the shield and when to return to the battle.

Declan

Smash Apprentice
would be nice to not have auto ledge, and sorry to be hella nerdy with math and all but it would be a COS curve since you start at the top then dip down and up.... how i get b's in math i do not know haha
You supposedly don't have to auto ledge. It's an AT called snap-cancel. If you hold down while you're near the ledge, you won't grab it. I haven't gotten to try it out though.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have tried it but the only problem is that when you hold down, you glide down. I want to be able to move up without snapping to the ledge.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
the only way i know of cancelling the autosnap from glide is to attack right as you hit the sweetspot for it, which'll cause you to sorta bounce straight up onto the ledge and carry most of your momentum straight through (iirc...) or down below the edge, with the same momentum.

if you're wanting to just glide cleanly over the lip of the stage, i got no ideas, though i'd be interested in any further develpments : O

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Why doesnt every one who loves math take the antiderivative and 2nd antiderivative to know the position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time of the COS glide? If everyone takes this into consideration then it could be very beneficial to the COS glide advanced tactic.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Why doesnt every one who loves math take the antiderivative and 2nd antiderivative to know the position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time of the COS glide? If everyone takes this into consideration then it could be very beneficial to the COS glide advanced tactic.
..lol

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
It's settled; Gliding mindgames with Pit will henceforth be called COS Glide, AT. Imagine everyone else not on this thread be going like "What does COS stand for?"

Battle reports will be written as such: "I had a this close game versus a Marth. We were both at 100+%, and he forward smashed me to the edge of the stage. Luckily, due to diminishing smash momentum, I survived and did a COS Glide, and killed him with the slash."

Haha!

Top Bottom