• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide Tossing: necessary?

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Well, I picked up Diddy Kong awhile back and he has become my second best character next to Lucas. I'm pretty good with him and all I want to do now is improve my diddy skills. While I was playing I noticed that I never glide toss. I know how but I just don't incorporate it into my playstyle. Its a pain to do for me for some odd reason, but I can perfect, so I'm just wondering, is it necessary to play a good Diddy Kong, and give me good reasons why ^.^ How can glide tossing benefit my Diddy?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
well, the good news is that it isnt necessary to glide toss every single time you have a banana in your hand. You can do it, cause its not hard, but sometimes its just better to just chuck it.

I personally have 3 reasons why I glide toss:
1. glide toss a banana down and slide backwards as a defensive measure. I use this either when someone is rushing me on the ground, or coming down with a dair of some sort. This gets them to slip while you are in a pretty good position to get a free attack off. I tend to go safe and do a dsmash more often, because sometimes i try a stutter step'd fsmash and mess up and end up doing a dash attack, which isnt all bad but clearly isnt what i was going for.

2. Glide toss a banana forwards and slide backwards as a defensive measure, or to get near a 2nd banana. doing number 1 for defense against someone with a ranged dash attack like an ike isn't gonna help any when theres a sword in your face. Or if you are both standing still, a great way to both get away from your opponent, and get them down at the same time. Another use is to do it so you are near your 2nd banana (if you have one out) so you can easily hit A to pick it up instead of worrying about dash attacking to get it and going out of your way

3. Glide toss a banana forward and slide forwards for offense. This one will get you close to your opponent as they slip. Best method if your style is to work with 1 banana instead of two. Keep it up and you will eventually have them at the edge of the stage and in range of your fsmash/dsmash. Or you could stop the glide tossing at anytime and be close enough to just run up and grab and fthrow them.

Another general rule of thumb is that when you throw a banana regularly it can sometimes be spur of the moment so you dont become predictable, but due to the effects of the glide toss, you should always have a reason/method to your madness as of why you are glide tossing. Glide tossing the wrong way or for no reason will do nothing but slide yourself out of position to follow up quickly

hope that helped, sorry it was so long

Psyche131

Smash Rookie
well, the good news is that it isnt necessary to glide toss every single time you have a banana in your hand. You can do it, cause its not hard, but sometimes its just better to just chuck it.

I personally have 3 reasons why I glide toss:
1. glide toss a banana down and slide backwards as a defensive measure. I use this either when someone is rushing me on the ground, or coming down with a dair of some sort. This gets them to slip while you are in a pretty good position to get a free attack off. I tend to go safe and do a dsmash more often, because sometimes i try a stutter step'd fsmash and mess up and end up doing a dash attack, which isnt all bad but clearly isnt what i was going for.

2. Glide toss a banana forwards and slide backwards as a defensive measure, or to get near a 2nd banana. doing number 1 for defense against someone with a ranged dash attack like an ike isn't gonna help any when theres a sword in your face. Or if you are both standing still, a great way to both get away from your opponent, and get them down at the same time. Another use is to do it so you are near your 2nd banana (if you have one out) so you can easily hit A to pick it up instead of worrying about dash attacking to get it and going out of your way

3. Glide toss a banana forward and slide forwards for offense. This one will get you close to your opponent as they slip. Best method if your style is to work with 1 banana instead of two. Keep it up and you will eventually have them at the edge of the stage and in range of your fsmash/dsmash. Or you could stop the glide tossing at anytime and be close enough to just run up and grab and fthrow them.

Another general rule of thumb is that when you throw a banana regularly it can sometimes be spur of the moment so you dont become predictable, but due to the effects of the glide toss, you should always have a reason/method to your madness as of why you are glide tossing. Glide tossing the wrong way or for no reason will do nothing but slide yourself out of position to follow up quickly

hope that helped, sorry it was so long
I use all the reasons stated here, but i would only like to add using bananas for mindgames
You can glide backwards and throw a banana down, forcing them to aproach from the air, or you can glide backwards and throw a banana up, forcing them to either wait for it, or aproach on the ground.
Glide tossing is just a great way to stay mobile while throwing around your bananas.

Sao

Smash Cadet
nope, I know how to do it, can do it well, just feels like a waste of time to implement into my gameplay. Don't really agree with anything said about how it can be mind gamesy. I feel like diddy is a character that needs to be played aggressively, therefore the only glide toss i will ever use will be a forward glide toss followed up with something like a dsmash . If matches were based on style points I would definitely say use it, but other than that i feel like it is pretty much worthless to invest time into. Look at Nanerz vids on youtube he glides all over the place and never really does much damage just because most of the time when he makes someone trip he tried by playing the bananas defensively and puts himself to far away to punish.

Timcanpy

Smash Cadet
if someone is comming from air directly, a back glidetoss is very usfeul. there a lot of uses for glide toss, a very important one, is when you do a forward glide toss near of the opponenet ( relatively near, u can do it with some distance), if u forward glide toss he slip, and u can do inmediately a Dsmash or Fsmash, he cant escape :)

srry for my poor english :S

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
nope, I know how to do it, can do it well, just feels like a waste of time to implement into my gameplay. Don't really agree with anything said about how it can be mind gamesy. I feel like diddy is a character that needs to be played aggressively, therefore the only glide toss i will ever use will be a forward glide toss followed up with something like a dsmash . If matches were based on style points I would definitely say use it, but other than that i feel like it is pretty much worthless to invest time into. Look at Nanerz vids on youtube he glides all over the place and never really does much damage just because most of the time when he makes someone trip he tried by playing the bananas defensively and puts himself to far away to punish.
lol, which is why i put in bold in my post: but due to the effects of the glide toss, you should always have a reason/method to your madness as of why you are glide tossing. Glide tossing the wrong way or for no reason will do nothing but slide yourself out of position to follow up quickly

if you have a reason to glide toss in a certain direction, it can be come a powerful tool. but i do agree that it isnt necessary to do and you can do just fine without it

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
Lol Good job making an example of me.

I don't have much to say about the matter, I use it alot. It keeps you moving around the stage at a faster pace and regardless if your in punish range or not you're keeping your opponent frustrated and if you do trip someone from a distance the 2nd Banana is always there for the forward glide toss to get closer for whatever type of combo you wanna set up. My gameplay is effective, as you can see from my tournament results on that thread of which they are kept.

Glide Tossing = win. IMO. Everyone plays differently but using gliding for spacing is always good.

Forward Glide toss into Dsmash also *****.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I'd actually say Nanerz is too aggressive sometimes, but I can't really nitpick about that because I play Brawl like approaches are still possible.

That being said, glide toss down when you roll backwards into a forward smash is one of the best defensive techniques.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lol Good job making an example of me.

I don't have much to say about the matter, I use it alot. It keeps you moving around the stage at a faster pace and regardless if your in punish range or not you're keeping your opponent frustrated and if you do trip someone from a distance the 2nd Banana is always there for the forward glide toss to get closer for whatever type of combo you wanna set up. My gameplay is effective, as you can see from my tournament results on that thread of which they are kept.

Glide Tossing = win. IMO. Everyone plays differently but using gliding for spacing is always good.

Forward Glide toss into Dsmash also *****.

i wasnt purposefully talking about you. You do glide toss for a specific reason, so its ok

trampoline BOY

Smash Cadet
Diddy's my main man, and no-one can really beat me when I use him. YET, I've never even heard of such a thing called glide-tossing. Man I'm out of the loop...better hop on the youtube wagon and start practicing.

Plus, just curious...but where did the name glide-toss originate from??? (I'm always curious about where all the smash terminology and lingo originates, heh)

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Diddy's my main man, and no-one can really beat me when I use him. YET, I've never even heard of such a thing called glide-tossing. Man I'm out of the loop...better hop on the youtube wagon and start practicing.

Plus, just curious...but where did the name glide-toss originate from??? (I'm always curious about where all the smash terminology and lingo originates, heh)
It's a wavedash-like glitch (don't vcall it that though people get pissed)... when you shield roll and hit A in the roll causing you not to roll but instead glide/wavedash in a direction and toss a item.

This works with the c-stick also to allow you to mix it up move in one direction throw in another, it was origionally found by a peach player back in the peach forums, but it works for basically everyone.

Most notable used for peach, Diddy, Zamus and yeah... other people :O.

Roll> A/C-stick w/ banana!

denizen

Smash Apprentice
i used to use diddy without glide tossing...now that i've incorporated it into my game...i don't know how i ever got along without it

Top Bottom