• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide bouncing

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone explain to me how to wave bouce the Glide Cancel with Zard? I'm fine with the startup, but I'd like to be able to wave bounce the cancel for landing on the other side of stage when I go under the stage/mixing up my falling direction ect.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
B turnaround: you hit the opposite direction immediately before inputting the b move. With down b and up b you can just kinda angle to do this and with side B this doesn't work (nor is it really needed for the most part, since you can choose left or right already lol). The notable one is neutral b. So if you jump facing right, you can flick the joystick left (bringing it right back to neutral immediately) and then hit b.

B reversal (what you're talking about): you hit the opposite direction immediately AFTER inputting the b move. B reversal will also turn you around, but more notably, if you are in the air, the horizontal component of your velocity reverses, hence why it is useful to b reverse glide cancel. This can be done with any special, including side special, allowing for example Ike to side B left out of a run right (you can't normally do Side B's the opposite direction you're facing during a run... this is the only way). So you would hit right + B then immediately hit left.

Wavebounce: It has it's own name, but it is doing both a B turnaround and a B reversal on the same move. This is also semi-useful for glide cancel. The idea is to get the reverse momentum but to stay facing forwards. Generally I like people to be behind me when I'm above them as Zard, so I normally just B reverse, but it's not inconceivable that you would want to stay facing forward. For example, you could make like you are going to recover on stage but then wavebounce back and go for the ledge. I can't remember who, but someone was telling me it was a really strong tactic. I'm glad you reminded me... I'll have to try that out more, I don't think I've ever used it that way lol

Last edited:

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
My
B turnaround: you hit the opposite direction immediately before inputting the b move. With down b and up b you can just kinda angle to do this and with side B this doesn't work (nor is it really needed for the most part, since you can choose left or right already lol). The notable one is neutral b. So if you jump facing right, you can flick the joystick left (bringing it right back to neutral immediately) and then hit b.

B reversal (what you're talking about): you hit the opposite direction immediately AFTER inputting the b move. B reversal will also turn you around, but more notably, if you are in the air, the horizontal component of your velocity reverses, hence why it is useful to b reverse glide cancel. This can be done with any special, including side special, allowing for example Ike to side B left out of a run right (you can't normally do Side B's the opposite direction you're facing during a run... this is the only way). So you would hit right + B then immediately hit left.

Wavebounce: It has it's own name, but it is doing both a B turnaround and a B reversal on the same move. This is also semi-useful for glide cancel. The idea is to get the reverse momentum but to stay facing forwards. Generally I like people to be behind me when I'm above them as Zard, so I normally just B reverse, but it's not inconceivable that you would want to stay facing forward. For example, you could make like you are going to recover on stage but then wavebounce back and go for the ledge. I can't remember who, but someone was telling me it was a really strong tactic. I'm glad you reminded me... I'll have to try that out more, I don't think I've ever used it that way lol
My idea is to go under a stage and wavebouce so that I can use Nair/Bair to cover myself landing back onstage. Nobody would expect it I'm pretty sure.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
My

My idea is to go under a stage and wavebouce so that I can use Nair/Bair to cover myself landing back onstage. Nobody would expect it I'm pretty sure.
Under a stage??? Do you mean under a platform? Wait. Oh wow, that's a good idea. Do you mean to fake them out so they start running to the other side of the stage? I will say it'd be risky... you do lose your jumps after all. But that could work. Certainly worth testing out in friendlies. Thanks for the idea. (Is that what you meant?)

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Under a stage??? Do you mean under a platform? Wait. Oh wow, that's a good idea. Do you mean to fake them out so they start running to the other side of the stage? I will say it'd be risky... you do lose your jumps after all. But that could work. Certainly worth testing out in friendlies. Thanks for the idea. (Is that what you meant?)
My idea goes like this:

Imagine your on FD and you get sent off the right side. You can very easily glide under the stage and retain enough vertical momentum to rise up to at least stage level. Normally this is really unsafe because you loose all of your jumps and you're kind of helpless, but if you could wave bounce the glide cancel and cover yourself with Nair/Bair, your opponent would probably run into it because they are imagining that they get a free hit.

The other thing you can do is just B reverse right onto the ledge from the glide cancel, it's pretty safe but still not perfectly.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
My idea goes like this:

Imagine your on FD and you get sent off the right side. You can very easily glide under the stage and retain enough vertical momentum to rise up to at least stage level. Normally this is really unsafe because you loose all of your jumps and you're kind of helpless, but if you could wave bounce the glide cancel and cover yourself with Nair/Bair, your opponent would probably run into it because they are imagining that they get a free hit.

The other thing you can do is just B reverse right onto the ledge from the glide cancel, it's pretty safe but still not perfectly.
Hmm... I guess I'd have to experiment more with how fast you can attack after glide cancel. Glide cancel does have an animation, and I'm not sure when it ends and/or can be interrupted. Still something worth trying in friendlies. It might work :p

Top Bottom