• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give Me Tournament Footage, I'll Make you a Highlight Video!

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Introducing: Super Smash Bros. Tournament Highlights
Please Note: This is free and does not cost anything aside from the information needed about the tournament
EDIT: TL;DR: I make highlights of Smash tournaments. If you want a highlight, post here, and I will get back to you in a direct message or the footage.
Hey guys! I have an awesome proposition for you. I want to be able to create a highlight reel of any tournament you do! But first, I want to give you guys my reasoning for why I decided that I want to do that. It will be in the spoiler, so if you do not what to read it, continue after the spoiler!
When Smash Bros for the Nintendo 3DS released, I and another person had co-ran a tournament series. I had always been interested in competitive Smash Bros, so I thought running a tournament would be fun. We wanted the tournament to be monthly, with prizes being handed out. Once Smash Bros for the Wii U released, we did a few monthly tournaments for that as well. For one of them, the final one, I created a highlight reel of the footage. Unfortunately, since the disbandment of the tournament, I never really got back into full competitive Smash Bros. However, I always wanted to return, but I didn't really know the best way to do so. But, after working on a YouTube channel for about a year now, I decided that making highlight tournaments would be the best way for not only me to benefit, but to help support tournaments in Smash Bros.

So yeah, the rest of this thread will be about how to request for a highlight reel and what to expect of the highlight videos. Please read all of it. It looks like a lot, but it is all fairly important and took time to type up.

What to expect from my highlights

For this, any tournament of any Smash Bros. game can be submitted. Depending on the length of the tournament, a highlight will be about 3-5 minutes in length. They will be in the best quality available. In addition, I am flexible. It doesn't matter if there is commentary or not, or if it is stream footage or recordings. I will always make the highlights to the best of my abilities.

Also, I will prepare the highlights as quick as possible. At the longest, the full highlight will be finished in a week. With me juggling High School, a part time job, and a YouTube Channel, it is hard to sometimes find some free time. However, if I have a video highlight that needs to be prepared, I will get it done as quick as possible. There are ways to speed up the process as well, but I will get to that in a second.

Before continuing, I would like to show examples of highlight videos I have prepared and uploaded in the past. One is a highlight of a tournament I hosted (no commentary), while the other is a highlight of a year's worth of YouTube videos. There is commentary in the channel highlight, but don't judge my editing abilities for commentated videos solely on that, for the videos were not consistent in volume and sound, creating difficulties to say the least.

Tournament:

Channel Highlight:

If you are still interested in submitting your tournament for a highlight reel, which is great, please read the next section on what I will need in order to achieve the best possible highlight reel for you.

How to Submit a Request (With Examples!)
There are a number of things that I need in order to provide the best possible highlight for you.
As such, I am requiring a bit of information for you to post in your request. Not only will it help me, but it will also allow me to easily see which highlights to work on first. Other information can be exchanged privately.
Obviously, I'll need footage of the tournament. It really doesn't matter if it is Twitch Stream Quality or YouTube uploads. Just remember the better quality of footage, the better the highlight. Also, I will need a way to download the footage. Drop box is an example for that, and it works pretty great in most circumstances. However, if you have another way, feel free to let me know.
The following format is exactly how to make a request on this thread (if not in this format, your post will be overlooked):

Name of Tournament
  • Host of Tournament
  • Date of Tournament
  • Footage type (recordings, livestream footage, etc.)
  • Link to tournament page (if available)
  • link to social media page (if possible)
  • other information of importance (if there is or is not commentary, etc.)
Pretty simple. Again, there are other details I would like to have, but I can always get that by Pming you.
Here is an example on what a request should look like when finalized:

Speedy/Norris Monthly Tournament #3

So pretty simple!

Speeding up the Process
If you are eager to have the tournament highlights ready, there are ways to help me. For example, if your tournament is currently going on and is multiple days, send the footage to me as soon as possible so I can get to work. Even if the tournament isn't over, I can get started on the footage already sent.
Help me so I Can Help Others
The only way for this program to succeed is with your help. I'm not in it for anything except for the fun of making videos and making more and more people love Smash Bros. and giving everyone something. So, the only thing that I ask of you is that if you are the one giving me the request, if you post the video in your tournament page, please mention me. You guys can simply mention me with the @ tool on SmashBoards(My name is Captain Norris on here as well as Disqus). Or you can just call me Walker from TheNintenBits (that is my YouTube channel). Of course this isn't required, and I can't stop you if you don't. But the more successful this becomes, the more it will help others.

One Last Thing...

Before I forget, I gotta say one last thing. So at first, I will only be doing a single request at a time. But, the more comfortable I become and the more time I receive, the more videos I will make. So even if you make a request, there is not a full guarantee that I will make one. I am sure most of you will want the highlights as soon as possible, but in case you don't care, I'll check back up with you guys.

Let's Get Requesting!
I believe I covered just about everything! But if something is a bit unclear, be sure to ask questions in this thread! This thread doesn't need to be only for requesting. Questions, suggestions, and comments are always appreciated. This post will be updated regularly, and you will be able to find all the highlights in the following post.

So, let's get going into a hype-filled future!

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
So it has been over a week no without any replies. Anyone want to comment on what should be changed or why you do not want to do this? Don't be shy and feel free to be a critic.

Winner-Bit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twistbit
3DS FC
1977-0793-0839
I'm surprised this post hasn't received a lot more attention! I will likely be needing a small montage in the near future to help promote my upcoming quarterly tourney series. If you're still available by then, I would love to see what you could do with a few replays. I'll keep your offer in mind and check back when everything's ready.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I'm surprised this post hasn't received a lot more attention! I will likely be needing a small montage in the near future to help promote my upcoming quarterly tourney series. If you're still available by then, I would love to see what you could do with a few replays. I'll keep your offer in mind and check back when everything's ready.
Thanks for the offer! I'll get back to you with a direct message shortly. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know here as well.

Zepy

Smash Rookie
I have some tournament footage from my previous hosted one in my home. How can I send you the footage?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
The first Tournament Highlight video has officially been created from the tournament footage given to me by Zepy Zepy You all can check it out below:

Thanks Zepy for the footage!

Top Bottom