• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimmicks

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Do you think Smash Switch have a gimmick? if so, then what would the gimmick be?
For me, it'd be cool for Smash Switch to have a Tag Team battle gimmick, where you can switch out fighters.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I can't speak on the gimmick bit but I will say I can't stand tag battle fighters. They take up so much of the screen with thier assists and they makes it hard to take the game seriously.

Smash could potentially make good use of a system like that but I can't say I really want to see a tag system become a thing in Smash.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What would you define as a gimmick in this case? I think smash in general has a gimmick with being a non traditional fighter but what would it be after that?

A mode or something else?

Atem

Smash Cadet
I
What would you define as a gimmick in this case? I think smash in general has a gimmick with being a non traditional fighter but what would it be after that?

A mode or something else?
probably something (other than moves and weight) that differentiates fighters from each other. A good example is Lucario’s arua

Atem

Smash Cadet
I personally think that some tiny gimmicks are good like Bowser’s tough guy where he ignores some moves. But it becomes to much the best example in the entire series is Pokémon Trainer:pt:. He had a total of 3 gimmicks resistances and weakness to certain moves (:squirtle: takes less knock back to a Falcon punch but :ivysaur: takes double) , stamina, and the three characters that could have split up. Overall gimmicks could be great but it should not be the defining fact (except Lucario who without the arua would be completely useless and forgettable). In melee had super armor flutter jump but that is not all he is known for. The gimmicks should be only used sparingly.

Uffe

Smash Hero
After reading your first post, I was thinking that the tag team thing would probably be better suited for 8 player Smash. And since that's what you mean, I certainly wouldn't be against the idea. The problem with 8 player Smash is that for a time some tourneys were going the direction of doing a 3-way team battle instead of your typical team battle, but it doesn't look like many people cared. So if a tag team battle sort of thing became an option, some people might try it out, but it would probably be forgotten soon after, unfortunately.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I can't speak on the gimmick bit but I will say I can't stand tag battle fighters. They take up so much of the screen with thier assists and they makes it hard to take the game seriously.

Smash could potentially make good use of a system like that but I can't say I really want to see a tag system become a thing in Smash.
My version of the idea (I call Swaps) works very much like Zeku in Street Fighter V switching from "Old" to "Young" on the fly, not like a Marvel vs Capcom or DBFZ type. You are asked to pick any two characters from the selection menu. Your duo could even be a character + an extension of that same character (Wii Fit Trainer + Wii Fit Trainer (Ext)) with a moveset designed to further intensify that character's greatest gimmick(s). There's a LOT to the grand idea, but here are the links to my battle concepts for those who may be interested.

https://i.imgur.com/xOyNW55.png
https://i.imgur.com/CzErY2H.png

And I do dream of this stuff as "main/default in game and at tournaments" combat, not side stuff. Players could use a gameplay customization mode to simplify things to their liking, but that's the side stuff in my imaginary world.

And now that I can see squashini has a form of tag in mind strictly for 8p Smash, I can see I'm on a different page here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom