• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Their 5 A Day - Ganon with items.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
So with all these characters with droppable items, bananas, turnips etc. I figure we might need a dedicated thread to all the stuff we can do with those specific things. Eg: banana choking and the like.

So... go? I guess.

I'll edit this all up if this thread gets decent response.

Characters of interest:
Pac man
Mega man
Peach
Rob
Diddy
Robin
Link
Toon link
Wario
Villager
Bowser Jr.
Shiek's side B

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
You can grab that grenade of hers? Say whaaaaa??????

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I'll spend some time in the lab with these items and get back to you on my findings.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Sorry for the double post, but against bowser Jr, side b > mechakoopa downthrow is guaranteed if he doesn't tech.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
This is probably most useful with Sheik as she probably won't be teching Gerudos, it'll be pretty hard to land one on her though, maybe nair grab to gerudo immediately when sheik throws it as that's when she'll be in the most lag. Whole procedure'll probably do about 24-26 which is good on her because with a few dtilts and nairs it gets her to fsmash kill percent(welcome to dodge read city).

If it trips diddy it could lead into Usmash or Dsmash, maybe even side smash(I'll take all this to the lab later today, busy now)

Everyone else has confirmed jab ftilt or dtilt if they miss the tech so I don't see gerudo>dthrow being the place to look for more of these setups. Maybe Aerudo though, because item throws come out fast and getting damage on pacman, robin, villager, and ROB is super useful(the Aerudos 15 plus a pacman key would be a sweet 30 damage).

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
This is probably most useful with Sheik as she probably won't be teching Gerudos.
Do you only play For Glory? lol

EDIT: sorry to come off so rudely, but the assumption that a high level player will not tech a Gerudo is a flawed one.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Do you only play For Glory? lol
No but most people in tournament play don't bother learning to tech it because nobody plays Ganon and it has a different tech window than most moves, most people I've played in locals don't even know you can tech it

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
No but most people in tournament play don't bother learning to tech it because nobody plays Ganon and it has a different tech window than most moves, most people I've played in locals don't even know you can tech it
Nobody I've played at locals can tech it, but basing your techchase game on that assumption will make it obsolete if you ever reach high levels of play.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Nobody I've played at locals can tech it, but basing your techchase game on that assumption will make it obsolete if you ever reach high levels of play.
I guess, let's say I reliably have been tech chasing with wizkick and ftilt behind me and after the Sheik player decides to try not teching I let them get away with it. Once they think I don't understand how to follow up without techs they'll stop teching, which is when I whip out this grenade strategy.

There, a potentially useful strategy for a difficult matchup.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Never mind, the only way to pick up the grenade is to hit sheik, and it doesn't explode it only does 6 damage...

verbatim

Smash Ace
Just some generic advice,

-Most characters can grab items with Dash Attack, but Ganon's Dash Attack has invincibility on part of it, meaning that it's a great option for grabbing items thrown directly at you, especially in the Diddy Kong, Megaman, and Bowser Junior matchups.

-Z-dropping is a huge part of most characters' advanced item metagame. IK that Gunginir has some fancy zdrop gyro combo's on his vine account, but I'm not sure just how much practical use Ganon can make out of z-dropping. If he can, it's worth noting that Pacman's fruit's despawn timer resets every time you pick it back up, and that he loses nearly all of his viable options when you're holding his fruit and he can't spawn any more.

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
Stole this from Gungnir, but it's something:

If Mega Man has a Crash Bomber stuck on you, Flame Choke him, then put your shield up. The explosion from it will hit Mega Man, and pop him in the air for a guaranteed follow-up.

Top Bottom