• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting started with Mewtwo... It feels GOOD

manilamerc

Smash Cadet
So I just picked up Mewtwo the other day and I love how he feels. Not only that but when I play with him I feel like a BOSS. He just looks cool, his background character is intimidating and if all characters were real Mewtwo in real life would probably destroy everyone. His up smash is what I use a lot and I'm practicing his down A spike in the air as well as the side A in the air. However I'm still a noob with him.

It was Little Mac that made me convert into a Mewtwo main. I normally use Mario/Dr.Mario and Link. With those mains I couldn't beat a lvl 9 Litlle Mac but with Mewtwo I felt so much control I 2 stocked Little Mac. I NEVER used Mewtwo but now I feel GOOD

Check out my video where I WIN Tournament Mode with him. Although I won I clearly need more practice. I'm still trying to find my combos. Critics please
check it out

metroidfan987

Smash Cadet
Competitively, his viable kill moves are u-throw, b-throw, and u-smash. Naturally, the throws are safer, more reliable, and do not require as much reading as the u-smash. D-throw is probably his best combo starter.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
D-throw is probably his best combo starter.
It's NOT a combo starter. It opens you up to a hanfdul of options, but your opponent can escape any of these if guessing right.

I usually use d-throws and look how my opponent reacts to them. If they keep air-dodging and landing (usually because they think i'm trying to follow up with a fair or d-tilt), i wait until they are at around 80%, d-throw them, and use disable as soon as they land.

metroidfan987

Smash Cadet
It's NOT a combo starter. It opens you up to a hanfdul of options, but your opponent can escape any of these if guessing right.

I usually use d-throws and look how my opponent reacts to them. If they keep air-dodging and landing (usually because they think i'm trying to follow up with a fair or d-tilt), i wait until they are at around 80%, d-throw them, and use disable as soon as they land.
Yeah, I found the combo thread a little too late, lol.

Browny

Smash Hater

Eh, I think its character dependent. If you're against greninja/ganon/ike etc, anyone with a slow forward air you can probably go for a nair or even dtilt if they land. Vs anyone with a fast fair, just hold shield briefly. If they hit your shield, try to dtilt oos or dash or something. If they jump and fade away, chase their landing with a dash attack or even a shadowball.

When they jump is when you have the advantage, since they have to contend with Mewtwos dash attack or shadowball on landing which is almost always going to be in Mewtwos favour.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Eh, I think its character dependent. If you're against greninja/ganon/ike etc, anyone with a slow forward air you can probably go for a nair or even dtilt if they land. Vs anyone with a fast fair, just hold shield briefly. If they hit your shield, try to dtilt oos or dash or something. If they jump and fade away, chase their landing with a dash attack or even a shadowball.

When they jump is when you have the advantage, since they have to contend with Mewtwos dash attack or shadowball on landing which is almost always going to be in Mewtwos favour.
All of this pretty much applies for Confusion too, which is more consistent on account of it's set knockback.

Dthrow is more consistent when it comes to placing enemies on platforms, however, especially on Battlefield. And if you've been using fthrow on the majority of your grabs it will be all the more surprising and likely to open up your opponent when you do.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Okay, so here's some things you need to know about Mewtwo. But first let me fix your problems.

Don't grab too much. Mewtwo doesn't have much grab range (it actually wiffs a lot lol). There are better punishes.

Shadow Ball? Hm. Well. Against more skilled players, you can't simply throw SB at them from a long distance. They'll just spot dodge or power shield. Firing a Shadow Ball from far away is normally useless, because it stales SB and it also makes it so that you have to charge it again. Opponents that like to keep on your tail won't let you stand there and charge it.

I may address some of your more significant faults.

-You used absolutely no down tilt. Every good Mewtwo player uses that great move. This is a really big problem. Your opponents were being obvious about their decisions, however, you usually punished with a grab which isn't a very good punish option except if you want a up throw kill. But that's kind of it. Dtilt, on the other hand, may be Mewtwo's best punish tool. If you're close to the opponent, then you can dtilt then and get a fair on them from around 0-60%. There's much more combos you can do with down tilt.
-Don't try and use dash attack after launching a uncharged shadow ball. If you have a fully charged one and you're close, and you hit with it, it's easily able to combo into DA. But anything else really won't work.

There's more I want to cover but I ain't feeling good. PM me if you want more tips, there's a lot more I want to say.

Top Bottom