• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Serious With Smash. Any tips!

Limelight

Smash Rookie
As the title states, Ive been getting really serious with smash. I have been playing project M for a few hours each day. I am proficient at wave dashing and other basic tech skills and at college, where my entire group is starting to take smash seriously, I have won every little tournament by maining samus with a secondary charizard. I was looking for tips to stepping up not only my game, but the entire community at my college. Things that we should focus on to get to a higher level of play would be greatly appreciated! Im hoping to compete at a local tournament soon as well! Also is samus a viable character in more competitive project m or should who is not a full tech expert switch to another main for the competitive scene?

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Samus is absolutely viable competitively, just know that she's a relatively complex character that takes a lot of time to get a hang of.

If you're really looking to improve your game, and other people at your college also want to get more serious, I'd suggest having fests weekly or biweekly. Get a practice partner that you can train with on a consistent basis. Carpool to tourneys around the state, and go to as much as you can. Become a bigger part of your local scene in as many ways as you can, because that's the easiest way to grow.

When you practice, have some ritual drills that don't vary at all from session to session. I do 5 minutes of pivoting in place and 5 minutes of pivot into crouch into pivot in place as well to work on my dexterity. Work on platform movement as much as possible. Work on missile canceling. Study this board and other character boards to get a better understanding of the game. Study film by yourself or with a group and discuss things. Post on your local Facebook group page and start discussions about gameplay. The more you think about the game and the more time you put into playing competitively, the better you'll get.

Limelight

Smash Rookie
Thanks a ton pooch! I actually have seen your video explaining samus and watched a few of your matches! I appreciate the feedback!

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Samus is bae; don't let anyone tell you different. This game is as much mental as it is technical. If you hit a barrier in your game, and don't think you're getting better, it's probably your mental game. Your tech skill will follow. Don't underestimate the power of patience. I learned this the hard way. x(

Litt

Samus
Samus is bae; don't let anyone tell you different. This game is as much mental as it is technical. If you hit a barrier in your game, and don't think you're getting better, it's probably your mental game. Your tech skill will follow. Don't underestimate the power of patience. I learned this the hard way. x(
99.99% of all smashers learn the hard way

Samuch

Smash Cadet
Get netplay! Super easy to setup if you have a PC with the minimum requirements. I've got pretty good against my roommate, but he's all I've ever played. I was able to get away with certain things. Now I have netplay and I get wrecked in ranked matches. I've already noticed an improvement in my play and tech after just a couple weeks. Having the flash white on successful l-cancels helped me within the first day, and now I don't even need it. Note that on a college network it probably won't be the best speed-wise, so this whole post could just be moot for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom