• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

getting outta kriby's swallow nonsence

rockbuddist101

Smash Rookie
my buddy always plays as kirby and he swallows me after i do my double jump and up combo. then he jumps off the map, waits for me to jump out and he floats back up. its the most bull**** ive ever seen. and if i do manage to get outta it in time he often jumpes off my head or does a down smash. other times i will be hanging on the edge and he will sit there trying to swallow me and im ****ed once again. how do i stop this from happining?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm assuming you use ike? well, just...hmmmm...give me a minute.

Nintendo-pie

Smash Cadet
I don't think there's much you can do. It's a major Kirby tactic, and even if there was a counter it's unlikely that anyone on this section will tell you as it's probably (but maybe not) filled with Kirby users, and who would want to give away such a secret. My advice though is to get out as quickly as possible, but I'm sure you try this anyway.

~N-pie

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Well if the Kirby user knows what they're doing, they'll make sure if the inhale you that you won't make it make. Kirbycide is no longer practical against good opponents, but proper Starshots are just as lethal. Trust me, if your friend is good, he will Star KO you.

storm92

Smash Ace
It's called Kirbycide, and its extremely easy to see coming.
If Kirby is floating down perfectly vertically towards the edge, chances are he's gonna Kirbycide.
If Kirby gets off a ledge and goes up vertically, facing the stage, chances are he's gonna Cide.

Those are the two main times Kirby attempts to Cide. Just watch out and don't approach then.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
If you are half decent at escaping him, it's pretty easy to break out in some situations (if you are both on the stage it's almost impossible for him to walk off if you know how to break out correctly).

If you are getting killed because he inhales on on stage and then walks off you need to learn how to break out better.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
My friend HATES Kirby and says he's the most cheapest character in the game because i usually manage to get one kirbycide. I really have no idea how to stop it though, but i also don't want to know :)

Nintendo-pie

Smash Cadet
Yea, Kirby is kinda cheap when it comes to kirbysides. That's why I (normally) agree to not use them when I play. I want to prove Kirby's worth with skill, not cheap tricks.

(By the way, if you copy DeDeDe's swallow it makes it harder for your opponent to escape, just so you know ;))

~N-pie

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirbycides aren't as effective as they were in Melee, so you shouldn't have much problems with it. However, some tips for a Swallowcide:

If you're still on the stage when you're Inhaled you should try to Break Free immediately. Do this by rotating the control stick and pushing buttons - but be weary of executing a move that can kill you after breaking out (such as Ike's Quick Draw).

If you're off the stage you have a couple of choices. If you think you can Break Free quickly enough to get back onto the stage, then go for it (chances are Kirby can Footstool off your head first if you're Ike). If it looks like you won't be able to get back to the stage then don't struggle. Kirby will drop off the stage and lose a stock at the same time. You'll get KO'd too, but you can at least make sure to take him with you.

If he spits you out under the stage, don't panic. Most of the time you will still have a jump as well as your usual recover methods. The Star Shot will send you under the stage pretty far if you don't struggle to get out of it (don't struggle) and when it ends you will get a floaty boost to use to help recover. You may have to go for the far side of the stage (which also gets you away from Kirby) but chances are you can still make it back up and only take 10% from being spit out. Someone in my crew plays Ike and he can usually survive this from under Smashville and even Lylat Cruise, though Battlefield can give him difficulties because of the protrution hanging from the bottom.

Good luck. Nothing's cheap.

Top Bottom