• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Organized: A Comprehensive To-Do List

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So the Pikachu boards has been in need of some changes for a while now. Not much has been done, so we're about to change that. The purpose of this thread is to show what needs to be done (since knowing is half the battle) and to get members to work together to get it done.

So here's a list of problems I have seen around these boards. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated on these matters. If you have anything to add to the discussion, please do! :)

1) The Matchup Thread
Our discussions of matchups have been sporadic and disorganized. We need to establish a consistent schedule for discussing matchups and make sure we have places where people can go for specific matchups.
The plan I had in mind was this:
We would replace the current pinned matchup thread with a matchup directory. (The old thread could be converted into a general metagame discussion or simply closed--whatever you guys want.) We could create matchup threads for every member of the cast. Within the first two posts of each matchup thread, we would copy and paste all information we already had on the matchup from our previous discussions. Then on a consistent schedule we would go through every matchup. (Most character forums are discussing new matchups on a weekly basis, but since we're starting from the beginning we might want to limit it to about 3 days per thread at first and then gradually extend the time frame once we've gotten through a sizeable chunk of the cast.)
Now an important question to answer is if people have questions about matchups before we discuss them, where should they post it? If they post it in the Q&A thread, we have to make sure the question and answer are added to the matchup thread under "information from our previous discussions." If they post it in the matchup thread, then we'll have to make sure we cover it in our discussion once we get to it. So should we take these questions in the Q&A thread or ask them to post it in the respective matchup thread? A similar call needs to be made for questions regarding matchups we've already covered.
Finally, after patches alter characters, if anything significant changes in the matchups against characters we've already discussed, please be sure to post it in the matchup thread.

2) The Q&A Thread
In my opinion, we need to make an FAQ. I've noticed there a lot of questions regarding the difficulty level of Pikachu, good complimentary secondaries, and using Quick Attack, among other things. Excluding Quick Attack, which I feel deserves its own pinned thread, these common questions should all be readily accessible in a single place. So on this thread, we need to come up with a list of common questions and answer them.

3) A Thread Focused on Pikachu's Techniques
It'd help a lot of people if we had a single pinned thread that talked about combos, edgeguarding, kill options, aerials, etc. If you guys are okay with it, I could make a thread and we could work on adding important information that Pikachu players would find helpful.

4) A Separate Video Thread and Player Finder Thread
Kinda like how we separated the Social Thread and the Q&A Thread, this would be pretty helpful. Players interested in fighting other Pikas and people who would like some other players to critique their playstyle should have their own separate threads since the things they want are somewhat unrelated.

5) Unstickying this old thread
It seems to have served its purpose already. There's no reason to keep it pinned.

6) Creating a new Stage Discussion thread
We need an updated thread that can help players make well-informed decisions when choosing stages.

So that's all I've come up with. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. After reading this wall of text, the next step is to discuss these individual topics and solve them. So let's do this!

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

Soul.

We really need these changes. The boards, in this current state, are barely active. Only a few people do something and contribute, not sure about others because Skype groups are essentialy the bane of character boards' existence. I can't blame them tho

In regards to the Q&A thread needing a FAQ, the current one is kinda out of date, so fixing it is a necessity. The title needs a change, too; I'd be more than glad to change it (as I made the thread) to make it so that new players go to the first post of the thread and see the FAQ from there. If more people want to help fixing it, by all means.

As an aside, if we could take out the sticky to this thread made in 2012 prior to the game's release, I would be very happy.

Other than that, this proposal is fine by me.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
About the pikachu matchup thread, felth has edited Umbreoff's matchup directory to include the content of the posts for each character. You can view it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWWiqnsBIOmK6hlQ5L4yeoJpJvqjZ51_wOfOkzIFmH4/mobilebasic?pli=1

He is also in the process of making matchup threads for pikachu vs each character.
Alright that's good. :) Then we'll just need to make a directory that links to those threads as well as a schedule for discussing these matchups.

We really need these changes. The boards, in this current state, are barely active. Only a few people do something and contribute, not sure about others because Skype groups are essentialy the bane of character boards' existence. I can't blame them tho

In regards to the Q&A thread needing a FAQ, the current one is kinda out of date, so fixing it is a necessity. The title needs a change, too; I'd be more than glad to change it (as I made the thread) to make it so that new players go to the first post of the thread and see the FAQ from there. If more people want to help fixing it, by all means.

As an aside, if we could take out the sticky to this thread made in 2012 prior to the game's release, I would be very happy.

I'm hoping that if people see an organized Pika forum, they will frequent the boards more often. If they can see that we're at least doing something, they might be willing to come back.

We can make a list of questions here if you want. Other than the questions I listed, what else do people often ask?

I've always wondered why that thread was there. I don't know if @ Pikabunz Pikabunz has seen this thread or not, but I'll still tag him anyways. Hopefully he can unsticky that thread and give his opinion on these matters too.

Soul.

I'm hoping that if people see an organized Pika forum, they will frequent the boards more often. If they can see that we're at least doing something, they might be willing to come back.

We can make a list of questions here if you want. Other than the questions I listed, what else do people often ask?

I've always wondered why that thread was there. I don't know if @ Pikabunz Pikabunz has seen this thread or not, but I'll still tag him anyways. Hopefully he can unsticky that thread and give his opinion on these matters too.
Yeah, hopefully.

That's fine by me, but which questions are you refering to? The Q&A thread's?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah, hopefully.

That's fine by me, but which questions are you refering to? The Q&A thread's?
Yeah. I meant that we should list all the questions people commonly ask in the Q&A thread, answer them, and then put them in an updated FAQ.

Last edited:

Soul.

Yeah. I meant that we should list all the questions people commonly ask in the Q&A thread, answer them, and then put them in an updated FAQ.
Alright, I got a template here.
Basic:
Is this character hard to pick up?

What are some complementary secondaries for this character?

Does this character have hard matchups, if any at all? (This question would then link people to the new matchup thread for more info)

What are this character's best and worst stages?

What should I be doing in the neutral, and how can I reset it?

What should I be doing during edgeguarding?

Should Custom Fighters be turned on, which moves are essential?

Where can I watch videos of other -character- players?

Who is/are the best -character- player(s)?

Gameplay:
How do I (ledge) cancel Quick Attack?

How do I short hop down air?

Should I be mindlessly spamming a move just because it's good?

Which grabs should I be using and when?

Is up throw to Thunder a reliable KO setup?
Let me know if you think we should add more.

Also, should we make another stage discussion thread? The one we have right now is dated and I don't think bumping it is a good idea. A competitive discussion thread would be cool, but it's up to others to decide. As it stands, we're probably going to have to update every thread lol.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Alright, I got a template here.

Let me know if you think we should add more.

Also, should we make another stage discussion thread? The one we have right now is dated and I don't think bumping it is a good idea. A competitive discussion thread would be cool, but it's up to others to decide. As it stands, we're probably going to have to update every thread lol.
All I would add is a redirect to a thread focused on Quick Attack (that we also have to make).
And yeah, we should make a new updated stage discussion thread. The old one was okay, but since Esam made it, it was pretty biased and over-the-top in my opinion, lol. And I kinda want us to convert the old matchup thread into that. I'd like a competitive discussion thread like that too.
Yeah, you're right. There's a lot of work to be done. Hopefully people will notice the work we're doing as we get through it and they'll be willing to help us out. Anyways, I'll be sure to start on the thread that lists all of Pikachu's combos and techniques soon. Right now I'm just listing a bunch of stuff Pikachu can do and organizing them into sections on a word document.

Soul.

All I would add is a redirect to a thread focused on Quick Attack (that we also have to make).
And yeah, we should make a new updated stage discussion thread. The old one was okay, but since Esam made it, it was pretty biased and over-the-top in my opinion, lol. And I kinda want us to convert the old matchup thread into that. I'd like a competitive discussion thread like that too.
Yeah, you're right. There's a lot of work to be done. Hopefully people will notice the work we're doing as we get through it and they'll be willing to help us out. Anyways, I'll be sure to start on the thread that lists all of Pikachu's combos and techniques soon. Right now I'm just listing a bunch of stuff Pikachu can do and organizing them into sections on a word document.
Sounds good to me.

Aside from the Matchups and Quick Attack having their own question with the URL leading to the thread, the best/worst stages and watching videos questions should also have a URL leading to their own respective threads; the video thread being put in once it's separated from the players side.

So basically:
  • Competitive (better known as Metagame) discussion thread
  • New matchup thread
  • Videos/Players list threads separated; Video thread is now a video critique thread. Players list thread is basically posting NNIDs (or Friend Codes if 3DS only) or something.
  • Quick Attack thread
  • Old matchup thread: Now a stage discussion thread
  • Rest of the threads changed so that they are up to date

Last edited:

Felth

Smash Apprentice
Hi @ A10theHero A10theHero , I'm glad to see other people interested in organizing all this information.

That's not my PDF :crying: I give you the final version, I transcribed the entire document. I edited and added some new functions like hiperlinks and others. This document is pretended to contribute with the development of the Specific MU Threads that we are working as a community. I think that we should discuss the new information on the corresponding section. I'll leave Hiperlinks with the Threads that available.

Specific Matchup Threads

Attachments

Last edited:

Soul.

Hi @ A10theHero A10theHero , I'm glad to see other people interested in organizing all this information.

That's not my PDF :crying: I'll give you the final version, I transcribed the entire document. I edited and added some new functions like hiperlinks and others. This document is pretended to contribute with the development of the Specific MU Threads that we are working as a community. I think that we should discuss the new information on the corresponding section. I'll leave Hiperlinks with the Threads that available.

Specific Matchup Threads
I didn't say anything about your document lol. We're still most likely going to do them this way, with the new MU thread being a directory/general MU discussion or something as the OP says.
It's all good though.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Alright, I made a matchup directory thread and a new player finder thread. Now we just need to come up with a schedule for discussing matchups and turn the old player finder/video thread into a video critiquing thread. Then we'll be done with those tasks.
I'm still working on the combo/techniques thread, but I should be able to make the thread later today.

Soul.

Here's what I think we should put in those two threads:
Welcome to our matchup directory! The main purpose of this thread is to have a record of the previous matchup threads that we have discussed/are about to discuss.
If you would like to learn about a specific matchup, please visit one of the following threads:
Diddy Kong :4diddy:
Fox :4fox:
Luigi :4luigi:
Mario :4mario:
Meta Knight :4metaknight:
Mii Brawler :4miibrawl:
Mr. Game & Watch :4gaw:
Ness :4ness:
Rosalina & Luma :rosalina:
Sheik :4sheik:
Villager :4villager:
Zero Suit Samus :4zss:

Once a schedule for going over the matchups has been determined, it will be posted here.
Edited it slightly. Once more matchup threads are made the URLs will have to be in a spoiler.

As per the player finder thread, I think a few tidbits should be optional. The layout would be basically this, unchanged:

Smashboards username: ????
In-Game name: I don't know
3DS Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000
Nintendo Network ID: IDontKnow
Country of Residence (optional):
Favorite Palette Colour: Green headband
Message (optional): I just play Pikachu
Optional tidbits mean users don't have to post them.

Does that sound good?

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Here's what I think we should put in those two threads:

Edited it slightly. Once more matchup threads are made the URLs will have to be in a spoiler.

As per the player finder thread, I think a few tidbits should be optional. The layout would be basically this, unchanged:

Optional tidbits mean users don't have to post them.

Does that sound good?
Yep. I've made the changes you suggested. Thanks for your help! :)

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Would anyone be interested in a sort of pika dev backroom. I feel like most of the discussion in the matchup threads is shooting from the hip. A small group of people working on individual matchup tech and research off board that then publishes results here seems ideal to me. I've been toying with the idea of a SCRUM style matchup research collaboration effort, but need other interested players.

Soul.

If I could, I'd take over the matchup directory thread @ A10theHero A10theHero made (I really appreciate your contribution dude lol). Mainly because I don't want to bother people by telling them to edit it further, so that could be out of the way. The other reason being that I want to make sure it's both a directory and the new place to discuss MUs. Unfortunately only staff members can do that.

also should we use ratios for the MUs or do we discard them altogether?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Sorry I haven't responded yet. The combos/techniques thread is taking longer than I expected. It's pretty much a full-fledged Pikachu guide now, lol.
Would anyone be interested in a sort of pika dev backroom. I feel like most of the discussion in the matchup threads is shooting from the hip. A small group of people working on individual matchup tech and research off board that then publishes results here seems ideal to me. I've been toying with the idea of a SCRUM style matchup research collaboration effort, but need other interested players.
Having a group do research on the matchup would be helpful and we should definitely have something like that, but I think we should leave the threads open for everyone to discuss still. We'll just make sure misinformation is addressed and rectified.

If I could, I'd take over the matchup directory thread @ A10theHero A10theHero made (I really appreciate your contribution dude lol). Mainly because I don't want to bother people by telling them to edit it further, so that could be out of the way. The other reason being that I want to make sure it's both a directory and the new place to discuss MUs. Unfortunately only staff members can do that.
also should we use ratios for the MUs or do we discard them altogether?
I'm not sure if that's possible, but we could ask a mod to try to switch control.
Also, what ratios are you talking about?

Soul.

I'm not sure if that's possible, but we could ask a mod to try to switch control.
Also, what ratios are you talking about?
I think it is, but yeah we could ask.
Also I was talking about MU ratios. Basically this:
  • 100:0 - Nearly impossible to lose
  • 90:10 - Massive Advantage
  • 80:20 - Strong Advantage
  • 70:30 - Moderate Advantage
  • 60:40 - Slight Advantage
  • 50:50 - Evenly Matched
  • 40:60 - Slight Disadvantage
  • 30:70 - Moderate Disadvantage
  • 20:80 - Strong Disadvantage
  • 10:90 - Massive Disadvantage
  • 0:100 - Nearly impossible to win
In general, discussing what the characters do in the matchups should be the most important thing. Ratios are whatever, but still.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I think it is, but yeah we could ask.
Also I was talking about MU ratios. Basically this:

In general, discussing what the characters do in the matchups should be the most important thing. Ratios are whatever, but still.
Alright. I'm not sure if we should ask Pikabunz though because he hasn't posted at all on this thread. That means he's probably busy at the moment.
I agree that discussion is more important. Maybe at the end of the discussion we can come up with a ratio that summarizes the matchup, but it's not a high priority.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
I think we should leave the threads open for everyone to discuss still.
I absolutely agree. My proposal was mostly a suggestion for enhancing the discussion, while pointing out that matchup threads are great for debate, publishing and determining more abstract things like MU ratios, but it's a poor venue for active tech development.

I'm about to sink 200$ in a capture card for pika research, anyone interested helping in grinding out really nerdy stuff in a coordinated way? @ Soul. Soul. ? @ A10theHero A10theHero ?

Soul.

So here's a thing. I thought of making a new tournament results thread. The reason being, "wow ESAM is the only one with results??" and the fact that the previous one was dated.

The layout would be this:
- name tag
- name of tournament
- placing
- bracket
- list of entrants
- (optional) other characters used
yes/no?

Also to reiterate, I'll be updating the index thread as more threads are posted.
I absolutely agree. My proposal was mostly a suggestion for enhancing the discussion, while pointing out that matchup threads are great for debate, publishing and determining more abstract things like MU ratios, but it's a poor venue for active tech development.

I'm about to sink 200$ in a capture card for pika research, anyone interested helping in grinding out really nerdy stuff in a coordinated way? @ Soul. Soul. ? @ A10theHero A10theHero ?
It would be nice of me to help.
Does me playing the 3DS version hinder the proposal?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

I think I can help. The problem is that once I start college, I'm not sure what my schedule will be like. But I'll still try to help in any way I can. :)

So here's a thing. I thought of making a new tournament results thread. The reason being, "wow ESAM is the only one with results??" and the fact that the previous one was dated.
The layout would be this:
yes/no?
Also to reiterate, I'll be updating the index thread as more threads are posted.
Alright, that sounds good. :)

Soul.

Alright. Here is my fixed list of what we need to do (quoting to save space):

Matchup thread directory/General MU Discussion: Is basically the index thread of matchups. Here, users can check the thread to see if we have discussed a matchup in a separate thread, which would then be posted in the OP. This is also the place for discussing matchups in general, and who should we be discussing next. How would the process be done is up to y'all since I'm not the ruler of the Pika boards.

We discuss a character for a period of time (say a week), with their separate MU thread there for more in-depth discussion. After that, we discuss the next one doing the same thing, and so on. So like, for instance, we're discussing Olimar. What do we do? We make a post for the directory thread involving that character, with the URL leading to the separate MU thread. You can also post in the directory thread if you, for some reason, don't feel like posting.

If there's a patch that affects the character we discussed before, we go back and make a post in the directory with their existing separate MU thread, with the title of the separate MU thread having the most recent version of the game (example: 1.1.0). You guys okay with this?
And as for the other threads...
- Quick Attack thread (duh)
- Combo thread (is someone making it?)
- The new stage discussion thread should be made from scratch, as merging it with the old matchup thread will clutter it. It's best to make a new one.
- Is a competitive discussion thread worth it? I'm saying this because sometimes, people talk about competitive stuff in their social threads, despite being off-topic by definition.

By the way, has there ever been a thread about ducking moves by crouching? If there hasn't, then we could certainly make one.

Also about the tournament results thread, I'll still be making it. However, the dated one still exists and is without a lock, so... does it matter? I mean I could post it right now.

I feel that discussion for a new custom move set thread will be here once the official custom set project starts doing the new version. Granted, most don't play with customs, but it is what it is.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Alright. Here is my fixed list of what we need to do (quoting to save space):
And as for the other threads...
- Quick Attack thread (duh)
- Combo thread (is someone making it?)
- The new stage discussion thread should be made from scratch, as merging it with the old matchup thread will clutter it. It's best to make a new one.
- Is a competitive discussion thread worth it? I'm saying this because sometimes, people talk about competitive stuff in their social threads, despite being off-topic by definition.
That list looks good. About the competitive discussion thread, I still think we should convert the old matchup thread into that. And as for the combo thread, I'm still working on it--it's just that I've been busy and away from my laptop for a while. And it pretty much expanded into a guide since Pikachu's combos are basically up-tilt[x#]/down throw to aerials, and up throw to thunder sometimes. But I'll try to post it soon.

By the way, has there ever been a thread about ducking moves by crouching? If there hasn't, then we could certainly make one.
Yeah, we do need a thread about crouching. And probably about the reduced hurtbox after a bair as well.

Also about the tournament results thread, I'll still be making it. However, the dated one still exists and is without a lock, so... does it matter? I mean I could post it right now.
You could make it, I guess. I really want @ Pikabunz Pikabunz to say something and help us. That's kinda what I've been waiting for. If not him, then we have to find another mod to help us, but I don't know who to ask. Any suggestions?

I feel that discussion for a new custom move set thread will be here once the official custom set project starts doing the new version. Granted, most don't play with customs, but it is what it is.
Yeah, so we'll make this thread once that project starts again. It seems like the meta is gonna be divided, so we'll still need that thread

Soul.

That list looks good. About the competitive discussion thread, I still think we should convert the old matchup thread into that. And as for the combo thread, I'm still working on it--it's just that I've been busy and away from my laptop for a while. And it pretty much expanded into a guide since Pikachu's combos are basically up-tilt[x#]/down throw to aerials, and up throw to thunder sometimes. But I'll try to post it soon.

Yeah, we do need a thread about crouching. And probably about the reduced hurtbox after a bair as well.

You could make it, I guess. I really want @ Pikabunz Pikabunz to say something and help us. That's kinda what I've been waiting for. If not him, then we have to find another mod to help us, but I don't know who to ask. Any suggestions?

Yeah, so we'll make this thread once that project starts again. It seems like the meta is gonna be divided, so we'll still need that thread
I want him to answer too, but I don't know what mod could help out too either, unfortunately. The old matchup thread being a competitive discussion is fine by me. That's okay.

--

I guess I should've worded it better. My bad lol. I'll be making it soon.
I was trying to say when discussion will be here for custom moves, it's to decide if it will be held on the same stickied thread or not. The purpose of this thread is pretty much a to-do list, after all.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I want him to answer too, but I don't know what mod could help out too either, unfortunately.
I'm just going to tag @FalKoopa and hopefully he'll be able to help us figure out something.

I guess I should've worded it better. My bad lol. I'll be making it soon.
I was trying to say when discussion will be here for custom moves, it's to decide if it will be held on the same stickied thread or not. The purpose of this thread is pretty much a to-do list, after all.
Oh, okay. I think they'd probably want a new thread, but we'll see what they do once the project starts again.

Soul.

I'm just going to tag @FalKoopa and hopefully he'll be able to help us figure out something.

Oh, okay. I think they'd probably want a new thread, but we'll see what they do once the project starts again.
Alright, I posted the tournament results thread. Let's see if it manages to stay.
We'll see about that.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I couldn't agree more. Most of these points have been brought up before but we need to buckle down and do it.
For Brawl Pikachu, a lot of us put in effort to create a rather lengthy and detailed Pikachu guide. I'd be willing to put in this effort again for Smash 4 Pikachu. Let me know if I can help with anything.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I couldn't agree more. Most of these points have been brought up before but we need to buckle down and do it.
For Brawl Pikachu, a lot of us put in effort to create a rather lengthy and detailed Pikachu guide. I'd be willing to put in this effort again for Smash 4 Pikachu. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Thanks! Once I post the thread for the Pikachu combo/technique guide, I'll need everyone's help to perfect it cuz I'm bound to miss some tips or something.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Sorry, I've been busy. What exactly do you guys want done right now? This thread is kind of all over the place. Let's focus on one thing at a time. Does anything else need to be done with the Q&A thread besides updating the FAQ in the op?

Soul.

I'll thank Arceus you're back man.

The Q&A thread doesn't need anything right now aside of updating the FAQ. Since people are going to keep asking regardless, I might as well change it to something else but I'm afraid the Q&A tag may disappear because I made the thread.

Could "Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer - Read FAQ in OP!" be the new title for the thread by any chance?

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
That sounds fine to me. Is the tournament results thread something we really need? How many Pikas here even go to tournaments?

Soul.

I thought it would be nice to have some results from other players here and there, but yeah, I don't think it's necessary either.
You can lock it if you want.

-

Is it possible to change the video and users thread so that it's only a video archive/critique thread? We've made another player finder thread for that specific thing, though I wanted to hear what you think about this.

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'll leave the tournament results thread up for a bit just to see if anyone even wants to post their results. Tournament results are something that smashboards already keeps track of, so I was thinking that players can just include the link to their results profile in the player finder thread.

Soul.

Well, that works too no problem. Results profile in PT thread it is then.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I would do anything here to help out with Pika stuff, if you need me to anything, let me know.

Top Bottom