• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting involved with FG. Controller usage?

LiX

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashers.
I have been trying out the FG mode recently and stumbled upon an odd world. I mainly play 1v1s and contradict to what I believed, it is always a very clear result. Either I am really much worse than my opponent and he plays like he's untouchable, or I clearly beat the other guy over and over.

I tried to get better but seem to be stuck at where I am. So eventually, I started questioning if I use "the right controller". Reserach showed me that most people seem to use a Wii U pro Controller. Is that right?

I used to play Melee with people I knew, my first own Smash game was Brawl so I got used to the Wii console. Without ever asking a question, I always played with the Remote/Nunchuck combo and got used to it. Now 2 months ago I bought Smash4 (yeah, I'm late...) and did a fair job with this setup, going through all 140 Challenges pretty quickly without wasting a Goldhammer. I thought "Woo. You're decent, went on For Glory, only to realize that there are many much better Smashers".

So my questiona are: Would you recommend I use something different to play? Do I just lack basics and inspiration for really good Smashplay, combos etc. etc. or are these people so good cause their controller give them a clear advantage over my Remote/Nunchuck combo?
I don't think I will have the time to put into SSB4 to be "unbeatable", but improving a little couldn't hurt.

Advice is welcome!

LiX

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Pro controller and gamepad(if you have big hands) are recommended but if you constantly use the wiimote+nunchuck combo and became good with it then use it still. If you can deal with change well then go for the pro controller though. C-sticking gives you instant smash attacks and aerials and it feels like an xbox 360 controller. Hope this helps.

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
I use a GC controller and have never tried using a different one. Everyone I know irl who takes Smash seriously uses one as well, but that might just be because we're used to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom