• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting into Melee. What should I know?

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
First of all, congrats for getting into melee! There is a huge compile of knowledge on http://www.meleelibrary.com/. This site goes from the physical aspect as far as developing muscle memory with specific techniques to mental preparations to allow you to adjust to your opponents as you play them. Since you are just starting I would recommend watching high level play and finding a character that appeals to you, and from there you would focus solely on getting their movement down ("movement" would be found on the website that I linked), movement is heavily relied on in this game as it allows you to combo moves together as well as develop a better understanding for spacing. Kira (chnnel found here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA) is known for putting out plenty of tutorials in a video format that are really easy to understand and definitely help for beginners! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I plan on entering melee since I love watching it and I wanted to know what should I be expecting?
Months of practicing how to Wavedash, L-canceling, Short hop, Tech, Resets,
Also gonna get wrecked first time you go to a Tournament.

Last edited:

Gen.Excel

Smash Rookie
You should expect to get rolled, but try to get into your local scene anyway and learn a character and their matchups (commonly referred to as "MUs". (This is if you've already learned the basics of movement and tech like wavedashing, dashdancing, l-canceling, etc. If not, give it a quick google, there's quite a few videos out there on the fundamentals you need to know).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Understand how to use wavedashing. In neutral, you use it to create new options out of dash as opposed to run (when you slam the stick, your character enters dash, where he can pivot instantly or shield stop, aka shield and stop your momentum in one frame [you can do lots of good things instantly out of shield also]. But after you begin a dash, your character enters run like a 1/4 second or so after, and in run, you can't pivot instantly or shield stop). So you can wd in situations where the wd won't be punished to set yourself for a pivot aerial (many characters back airs are much faster than their forward airs, so pivoting is big). After hitting your opponent, when you know you've initiated a knockdown and therefore a techchasing opportunity, you can wd immediately so that you can react appropriately out of dash depending on what he does. When you shield a smash attack also, you can wavedash forward out of shield to grab or counter attack them. Play around with it and master these 3 things and you'll be leagues ahead of the average player.

Last edited:

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
First of all, congrats for getting into melee! There is a huge compile of knowledge on http://www.meleelibrary.com/. This site goes from the physical aspect as far as developing muscle memory with specific techniques to mental preparations to allow you to adjust to your opponents as you play them. Since you are just starting I would recommend watching high level play and finding a character that appeals to you, and from there you would focus solely on getting their movement down ("movement" would be found on the website that I linked), movement is heavily relied on in this game as it allows you to combo moves together as well as develop a better understanding for spacing. Kira (chnnel found here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46ZTid4t2ctB6osM0WTiJA) is known for putting out plenty of tutorials in a video format that are really easy to understand and definitely help for beginners! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
I do have a question. How I DI shine when I'm offstage and how do I practice SDI to avoid up air from fox

Haku_

Smash Rookie
I do have a question. How I DI shine when I'm offstage and how do I practice SDI to avoid up air from fox
If you are getting shined while already off stage usually its curtains for your stock. Attempting to tech it would be your best option (DI towards the stage).

If you mean getting shined onstage that pushes you off, attempting to di down and to the ledge is a very good option, you should fastfall after you get sent off the stage and then return your stick to neutral to be able to grab ledge.

Most questions you can have at the start can be answered by just playing and learning as you go. My local scene is always willing to help me out with any questions I have. So make sure to heed the advice of all the more experienced people which are posting but also just go to your locals, you can only learn so much by yourself at home. That said though get that movement down because being able to position yourself where you want to be is crucial.

I see your a falcon main currently if that's the case I would recommend watching this video by Gravy talking about the fundamentals of falcon's movement (dash dance, pivots, empty pivots) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUVzXOct4o (this is also in The Melee Library)

Welcome! I hope you enjoy getting bodied for a little bit, but once you see that improvement you'll get hooked.

FlyingAsianBears

Smash Rookie
NNID
FlyingAsianBears
If you're just starting out, try using Marth. I'm not even joking. He's a really good character. I feel like he's the best character for people starting out.

Also, wave dashing is important. I didn't understand why it was important at first when I started playing, but I soon realized that it's important for your momentum.

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
If you're just starting out, try using Marth. I'm not even joking. He's a really good character. I feel like he's the best character for people starting out.

Also, wave dashing is important. I didn't understand why it was important at first when I started playing, but I soon realized that it's important for your momentum.
I've heard of moonwalking and sticky walking how do I do that and what are they used for?

Top Bottom