• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting better at using tilts?

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
^Topic. How does one get accustomed to using tilts? I'm already using a GC controller with Tilt Stick, but I'm having a hard time actually making use of it.

I remember having this same issue with neutral airs, being all "omfg how are you supposed to do nairs? you have to take your thumb off the joystick!" and such, but with practice I got past that. I'm not really finding the same luck with tilts, though. Having to move my thumb from the buttons to the C-stick feels awkward.

Megalo

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I'd say to turn off the option that accesses you to smash attacks via the A button. From there, just don't dash when you want to perform a tilt. No matter how long it takes for you to actually input the attack, just do it, and in time it'll become second nature.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Keep experimenting and find which control scheme for tilts works best for you. I'm fond of the default controls, so I don't have much experience with these problems. But then again the controls on the 3DS aren't very customizable.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I still have the habit of inputting the wrong move in certain scenarios (ex: I wanna F-tilt but I F-smash instead) and I've been able to counteract the problem by making my c-stick in attack which makes it into tilts.

It all comes to preference and some time to actually feel accustom to the changes. I felt weird that I made the transition of using the c-stick for aerials instead of the analog and A button but after using it for a while, it's all become second nature to me.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I personally have my c stick set to Attack as well, but it's entirely because of the different momentum properties you gain for aerials. I still exclusively tilt with the joystick and A. What issue are you running into where you don't want to do that?

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
You should practice walking around more. Not only will it improve your neutral significantly, it will improve your ability to perform tilts accurately with the control stick. The difference between using a tilt and accidentally dashing/smashing is similar to the difference between walking and running.

There are some specialty situations where it's strictly better to use the smash stick for tilts. Walk forward > D-tilt or U-tilt work better with the c-stick for example, as well as perfect pivot craziness.

From what I've learned, you NEED to get good at the c-stick. Perfect retreating aerials are too good to ignore. What I've been working on lately is using the L button as a secondary jump so in situations where I NEED a specific retreating aerial, I can jump, move, and c-stick at the same time. After that I'm going to try to get better at N-airing on demand with the c-stick.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Learn to tilt through buffered inputs. For example, input the direction of the tilt you want to perform during the animation of another attack or after dropping shield/rolling etc., then hit the attack button. Guaranteed tilt.

Aside from that, best you could do is actively practice tilt motions repeatedly until you learn the timing. Tap jump off makes utilt easier, and not smashing the stick every time you input a direction covers the rest.

Top Bottom