• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting all the hits on f-air consistently

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
So I've started doing something, and I've been doing it unconsciously and I'm not sure if anyone knows about it or mentioned it but it might be worthwhile to expound if I'm not alone. Essentially once f-air connects and begins the multi-hit I pull back on the direction stick, almost like a half circle down to the rear, it could be a quarter circle depending on where in the f-air it connects.
It only really struck me the other day while preparing my first highlight video that people are having a lot of trouble escaping my f-air now vs. say 3 months ago. It's actually pretty significant looking at old footage, they used to fall out say 1/5 or so and now even villager and ness, notoriously low-combo windows, can't escape.
Anyone else doing this offensive DI to secure the f-air? I know for a fact the Samus DI within the up-air is crucial to combo success but not much has been said or tested about f-air success.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So I've started doing something, and I've been doing it unconsciously and I'm not sure if anyone knows about it or mentioned it but it might be worthwhile to expound if I'm not alone. Essentially once f-air connects and begins the multi-hit I pull back on the direction stick, almost like a half circle down to the rear, it could be a quarter circle depending on where in the f-air it connects.
It only really struck me the other day while preparing my first highlight video that people are having a lot of trouble escaping my f-air now vs. say 3 months ago. It's actually pretty significant looking at old footage, they used to fall out say 1/5 or so and now even villager and ness, notoriously low-combo windows, can't escape.
Anyone else doing this offensive DI to secure the f-air? I know for a fact the Samus DI within the up-air is crucial to combo success but not much has been said or tested about f-air success.
The move tends to immobilize your opponent, so if you are moving to fast forward or backward they will slip out. Since we are usually moving forward with fair, pulling back is the right way to make it land all the hits. However, if you are doing a retreating fair, you should push forward once you connect.

Reydiance

Smash Rookie
NNID
reydiance
I've always noticed that if I move a certain direction f-air will link more reliably, now that you've figured the exact input I'm starting to get all the hits a bit more constant. Thanks so much for this find!

Cu29

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7062-9722
I've also been doing this subconsciously. It depends on how they DI to each hit though, but if you can react to that it's easy to get every hit.

Top Bottom