• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gentleman to Dair Jab Lock

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Gentleman > Dair

Video Sample: https://youtu.be/fD715z_ArUQ

This can lead into MANY new follow ups for Falcon on fast fallers and heavy weights with this new setup. I do not recommended doing this on lighter/floaty characters. Even though it's possible on almost the whole cast don't do it on them. It's not likely to ever happen unless they have bad DI or miss the easy tech window. It's much easier for lightweight/floaty characters to get out or even act out in time because they get popped way too high in the air and it's easy for them to react afterwards. I'll have some video footage up sometime later this week.

On heavy weights and fastfalling characters though, this is a tool that can throw many players off if they miss the tech off of the gentleman. It's a much slimmer window for them to tech in time to the gentleman so it's a good mixup to do around 0-10% because they don't get popped up too high or too far away to where DI becomes any sort of issue. This can be followed up extremely hard and possibly to death like Nair to footstool. Here are some follow ups to do after Gentleman > Dair.

Gentleman > Dair > Downwards Angled Forward Tilt
A pretty basic follow up tool. Just like Nair footstool and other jab locks that can be done with Falcon. Mostly good to tap on some percent. You can get a 2nd Forward Tilt if you're fast enough and their % is under 29% because the jab lock stops at that % on most characters.

Gentleman > Dair > Downwards Angled Forward Tilt > Up Air > Up Tilt/Dair > Dair
This can be a death setup on certain characters if their hurt box is big enough for Falcon to get his falling Up Air out to pop them up. This can be extremely dangerous on heavies like DK, Ganon, and Falcon for not having the best recovery. Also if you do Up-Air to Up-Tilt on stage and they tech it, try to react to their tech afterwards to keep your crazy combo/tech chase going. Your opponent will be so overwhelmed by your quick follow ups that it'll be difficult to find out what you'll do next.

Gentleman > Dair > Knee
A good punish after a jab lock and can rack up some big percent. If you frame cancel it you maybe able to get a grab out afterwards in time to follow up after it.

Gentleman > Dair > Charged Forward Smash
This takes some timing to pull off due to the invincibility when your opponent gets up. If you're too late they'll shield it before you can hit them and it'll be unsafe on shield so they'll probably punish you afterwards. If you're too early, it'll whiff due to their invincible getup or hurt box being to low for for Falcon to hit them even with the lower angled portion of the move. Much like the Knee, good for racking up percent.

Gentleman > Dair > Falcon Punch
This is more of a stylish option, but if timed right like Forward Smash, this can connect. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's funny to do on occasions.

Here's some character data on this setup:

NOTE: On Fox, Falco, and Greninja getting the Dair to lock on them is impossible because they get knocked too far away after the third hit of the gentleman and they fall too fast for the Dair to connect and lock them after their missed tech.

Gentleman > Dair Data

Mario: Yes
Luigi: Yes
Peach: Yes
Bowser: Yes
Yoshi: Yes
Rosalina: Yes
Bowser Jr: Yes
Wario: Yes
DK: Yes
Diddy Kong: Yes
Game & Watch: Yes
Little Mac: Yes
Link: Yes
Zelda: Yes
Sheik: Yes
Ganon: Yes
Toon Link: Yes
Samus: Yes
Zero Suit Samus: Yes
Pit: Yes
Palutena: Yes
Marth: Yes
Ike: Yes
Robin: Yes
Duck Hunt: Yes
Kirby: Yes
King Dedede: Yes
Meta Knight: Yes
Fox: No
Falco: No
Pikachu: Yes
Charizard: Yes
Lucario: Yes
Jigglypuff: Yes
Greninja: No
ROB: Yes
Ness: Yes
Captain Falcon: Yes
Villager: Yes
Olimar: Yes
Wii Fit: Yes
Shulk: Yes
Dr. Mario: Yes
Dark Pit: Yes
Lucina: Yes
Pac-Man: Yes
Mega Man: Yes
Sonic: Yes
Mewtwo: No
Lucas: Yes
Roy: Yes
Ryu: Yes
Miis: Yes
Cloud: Yes
Corrin: Not Tested
Bayonetta: Not Tested

I hope this helps aspiring Falcons everywhere. Let's keep discovering some new moves.

~NathanSandwich

Last edited:

KnightFF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crazyronan3000
Another really good post! N7S keep up the good work dude I didn't even know these were options!

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
Wow. It's so simple you'd think that we would figure this out sooner lol. This is really good to know I'll start trying this stuff out soon.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
https://youtu.be/fD715z_ArUQ
Here's an example of it. I may have not timed the Dair right in the video footage, but here are some of the follow ups that can be done after they're jab locked.
Also this is confirmed to work on Cloud.

Last edited:

jacksonTown

Smash Rookie
This is impressive and I appreciate the effort you put it. I haven't had a chance to practice it yet in training mode but from the looks of it it seems like you'll want to get as close as possible to the person when doing the gentleman to make it easier to follow up with the dair.

This is the kind of stuff I like to see and again, the effort is much appreciated.

Cashmerenoh

Smash Rookie
this does not seem useful at a professional level, as people can just simply tech this.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
this does not seem useful at a professional level, as people can just simply tech this.
While it may be true that the chances of a higher skilled player missing an easy tech are low, it's still useful to know how you can capitalize on such an opportunity. I wouldn't just totally disregard this.

Last edited:

LuLLo

Smash Ace
If you've noticed they tech well, you can still read their roll or tech in place and follow up with whatever.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
If you've noticed they tech well, you can still read their roll or tech in place and follow up with whatever.
Actually this is good too because now we have a tech chase sitaution which can lead to a knee/fist of abortion (falcon punch) if you read their habbits. Not to mention falcon's jab is really safe and fast.

Top Bottom