• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gentleman Methods?

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
i think about it as a double jab -> knee, and separate the inputs that way in my mind. so i double tap A quickly to get the double jab. and then i press and hold A for the knee. since i group the inputs this way, my hands automatically insert an extremely slight pause between the double jab and the knee. since the mechanic behind the Gentleman has to do with keeping your total A input time (as measured from press to release) sufficiently under the total time of the animation sequence, double tapping A quickly produces two really low-time inputs, the slight pause lengthens the total animation sequence time by a little bit, and holding A for the knee produces an input that gets omitted from the calculation (since it's never released).

since the timing here is really tight, if i plan to act immediately after the Gentleman (usually by dashing or jumping), i generally won't release A until after that input, to avoid catching the tail end of the calculation window and screwing up the cancel.

Last edited:

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reply informative and helpful. So if you're planning to dash out of your Gentleman you dont release A until after you dash? I wasn't sure if I got that correctly

Munzu

Smash Rookie
I already tried it as Tobias described it but it didn't really work for me.

I have the following problem:

I figured out another way, which, as far as I can tell, hasn't been mentioned by anyone yet (correct me if I'm wrong, still pretty new to the scene).
I do the gentleman by pressing A twice and after that holding L. While holding L, I press the third A. Done. I've read similar methods like holding R/L shortly after the third jab, but it worked better for me to hold L between the second and third jab until the animation is over. It even works if L is held after the first jab but I don't like to do it that way. With this method I don't have to worry about how long I press the A button and still can jab pretty fast (though I can't do it super fast without messing up, too).
==> A - A - L-hold - A (- L-release)

This method works as long as I hit two of the three jabs, while one of them has to be the third and last jab. Whether I hit the first and miss the second or the other way around, it doesn't matter.
It works for me in training mode everytime since the CPU doesn't DI. My success rate with this method is (in training mode) literally almost 100%.

However, when I'm playing against lvl9 CPUs, they often DI into me while I'm doing the jabs. If they DI into me after the third jab so that they fly away behind my back, I miss the gentleman almost every time. I only get it if I'm very lucky. If they stay in front of my falcon even after the third jab (so even if they DI away from me and fly away in front of my face), it still works.
I noticed, that e.g. Darkrain misses the gentleman more often, if his opponent does exactly what I just described but still, he succeeds most of the time.

To summarize: For me, the gentleman only works if the CPU doesn't DI into me.

Any help?
Please someone try my method and say if it worked. Maybe then the answer to my question can be better found.

Note: I already tried the most common ways to do the gentleman, like A A A-hold or A A Z. Didn't work for me like 99% of the times.

EDIT: Never mind, the A - A - A-hold method works for me now. Anyway my "method" might also be worth a glance

Last edited:
Top Bottom