• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice Generic "I'm bad" topic

JDB1984

Smash Rookie
You probably seen these topics from a thousand different people, so I'll just mention that before a long hiatus that ended last week, I had only 9 wins in 128 online battles. And someone I started with in some friendly matches told me that I play like a beginner (even though I have played every Smash, and owned them all since Melee).

But I have something the others never have. Actual game footage.

I played as Bowser (someone I was bringing online for the first time), Young Link (since he had the moveset of the past Links, a character I had familiarity with), and Roy (my main before the hiatus).

I did get a 10th win with Bowser while getting footage, but I don't have a replay of it.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
You need to up the tempo in your gameplay by a lot. You move and play at a sluggish pace. Implement fastfalling. Look at the pacing you see in a pro game and strive for that. Other than that there's not really any need for specifics tips because you're not at that level yet. Just keep playing vs people who are better than you, and watch tournaments. Focusing on one character for a while might help you.

If you want to focus on Young Link go find out whose the best and watch their games. And I mean like.. really watch him, spend some time on it. Look at what he's doing and copy it and try to implement it into your own game. I can't remember who the best young link player is, but Toast used to be among the best at least. For Bowser there is Leon mostly, and for Roy there is Kola (and also Goblin who plays a very different more defensive Roy).

Last edited:

DirtyFlamingo

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3027-3721-0336
Yeah, I would definitely suggest working on movement as it's extremely important amongst all smash titles. To get you started I would recommend searching up movement drill practices and slowly incorporating them into your training routine. I also noticed in the footage that you seem to have no game plan and kinda just throw moves out there hoping they will connect. Gameplans differ from characters to matchups but I would suggest searching up your character's best neutral tools, punishes, and seeing what your character excels at. For instance, Ness wants to land a pk fire because its leads to a lot of damage and possible mixups, he also has access to one of the strongest kill throws (back throw) so you will see people revolve their gameplay around these tools to fit the characters strong suits. I also agree with Hippieslayers sentiment on watching the top-level play of the character you are trying to master as it gives you insight into the possibilities your character can achieve. Overall, keep it up and you will eventually see growth!

Top Bottom