• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General playstyle and tips for Link?

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
I was stressing hard over finding a main who would be high on the tier list and not broken, someone who I thought had a ton of potential.

I just kept bouncing around from character to character.

So screw it, I'll just main my favorite character, ignoring tier lists and whatnot.

So, Link it is. I read basically everything on the Link forums. What should my mindset be? What are my main ko moves?

General combos?

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
As annoying as they are, keeping people zoned with projectiles can be an effective strategy.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
boomerang, bow, fsmash, up special if they get close, occasional bomb to mix it up, rinse repeat until dead

at least thats all I see online

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
I've always been able to beat someone by switching characters, but this Sheik has beat me 20 times in a row now. They're so good I have given up hope on ever being anywhere near to as close as good as this person is, I'm at my skill cap unfortunately and I am taking my leave from Smash forever.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Maybe you just need a bit more practice is all. I'd save replies you'd loss to, rewatch them, see what mistakes you've made, then try and fix them. The best way to learn, sometimes, is to get your ass kicked plenty of times.

Juken

Smash Ace
Your best bet for advice would be to go directly to the Link sub-forum under character discussion.

Last edited:

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
Normally I can eventually get good enough to win at least once against someone, but I prob just lost a total of 20-30 times to this Sheik in a row. Lost all motivation honestly haha

Triangleman

Smash Rookie
With your mindset you should probably look for more single player oriented games, competition doesn't sound like it befits you. Just in case you actually are still looking for advice... when playing against Sheik make massive use of your projectiles to keep your opponent's approach limited and very readable. You almost always want to start with a boomerang throw angled up followed by an arrow straight ahead, rinse and repeat if you hit. If you continue to throw your boomerang angled up it will limit Sheiks approaches greatly and you should be able to learn a response if you keep practicing. Also Link's bow is probably the best projectile in the game. Use it to chase off stage instead of chasing yourself. You can juggle people off stage sometimes 3 extra hits with your bow and even guarantee KO's if their trajectory is lined up.

I would advise to use bombs sparingly as your bow and boomerang are far superior in spacing but do practice pulling out a bomb in response to being launched far away. Link's bombs now have a shorter fuse and you can pretty much guarantee a return to the stage if you pull out a bomb at the start of your fall even if you get knocked away again just keep pulling out bombs. (Do not pull out bombs every time your knocked away you really only need to if you get knocked really far off stage or are followed off stage)

Remember lead with boomerang follow up with bow and make use of your regular A A A attack as much as possible. Often times your boomerang will end up pulling them back into you and as you practice you will be ready for this and use it to your advantage. I just want to stress that your standard A A A attack is extremely important for when they close distance and make use of up special for rollers.

Last edited:

SaiPrime

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-4638-8843
I was stressing hard over finding a main who would be high on the tier list and not broken, someone who I thought had a ton of potential.

I just kept bouncing around from character to character.

So screw it, I'll just main my favorite character, ignoring tier lists and whatnot.

So, Link it is. I read basically everything on the Link forums. What should my mindset be? What are my main ko moves?

General combos?
I don't know about combos, but here's my basic strategy. Personally I use the boomerang, bombs, and arrows to counter their approach and have the time to get the feel for their strategy. In close quarters, I go for a neutral A combo or a forward tilt, I use down smash to counter a roll behind me and an up smash to counter an approach from above. And when I'm pretty sure I have an opening, I go for a forward smash, a dash attack, or sometimes a down air for the kill blow. I like to stay on the ground unless I see a chance to follow up on the opponent in the air, usually with a neutral air, forward air, or back air. For defense, I do make extensive use of dodge rolls and I do midair dodges to get back to the ground being knocked into the air. I also block strikes as well, though not as much. An occasionally useful tool is Link's grapple in the air, if you short hop and throw it out, it can do two hits and help with medium-short range zoning with almost no punishability upon landing. For recovery, if possible use the up B from good range below the edge to avoid being juggled of the edge and switch it up become doing an attck, jump, roll, or simple climb back onto the edge to get yourself planted back on the stage. Using his edge tether when you can also helps. Link is a good choice, but he can have problems with a good Marth because of his speed and edge guarding ability.
I hope I helped you DugongLaw.

Top Bottom