• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

General Pit Tech

Ericchi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Terminia
Ericchi submitted a new guide:

General Pit Tech - So you've already studied up on all of Pit's moves? Great! Now let's learn how to apply them!

Introduction:
I'm not at all a very good writer so I'll just get right to it. These are just a few general tips to keep in mind while playing Pit that can mostly also be applied to Pittoo. As this is my time ever writing a guide, please give me your feedback and try not to mind how unorganized this might end up. Just kindly let me know what you think and I'll definitely keep it in mind the next time I write something up.

This guide assumes you already know the basic properties of...
Read more about this guide...

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Nice guide!

I just have something on my mind after reading it. You said not to approach with aerials, but I think this is a pretty good option for Pit. I've found that Fair is a fine approach option if you're good with spacing, as the range on it is incredible. The only aerial I find to have noticeable ending lag is Dair.

It really depends on the height of the character, but I usually approach tall characters with Fair and smaller ones with Nair. Not exclusively, of course. Thoughts?

Ericchi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Terminia
Nice guide!

I just have something on my mind after reading it. You said not to approach with aerials, but I think this is a pretty good option for Pit. I've found that Fair is a fine approach option if you're good with spacing, as the range on it is incredible. The only aerial I find to have noticeable ending lag is Dair.

It really depends on the height of the character, but I usually approach tall characters with Fair and smaller ones with Nair. Not exclusively, of course. Thoughts?
Hey thanks I'm glad you even looked at the guide! Now regarding your Fair approach on taller characters. You are 100% right about that being effective if spaced properly. The fact that it only works on taller characters and requires perfect spacing is the reason I decided not to list that as a good approach option though. My goal with this guide was to write up something that could be applied to as many characters as possible. I suppose that may have limited myself but I'm glad you pointed this out and I hope others will look over here so they don't miss that piece of info.
Now as for Nair. I don't particularly feel good about that move. The range isn't great and it's got this weird property to it where if you cancel it too soon, it could actually have done no damage even though it hit. I think it's Pit's worst aerial. It does see decent use for opponents trying to recover low but for the most part I think I found myself doing better when I stopped bothering with this move.
I feel like Smash 4 is a very grounded game and isn't always worth going for aerials unless your opponent is also in the air. I still think I'd rather approach from the ground with ftilt and dtilt but fair isn't to be overlooked as you mentioned. I guess in short what I'm trying to say is that it should be used very sparingly. So sparingly that I was afraid to encourage it in the guide.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Nice guide!

I personally agree. I find short hop fair not only to be a tremndously viable retreat spacing option, but a helpful approach tool as well. You can poke at the shield, and fast fall it to catch opponents off guard with the long lasting and speedy hit-box.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Hey thanks I'm glad you even looked at the guide! Now regarding your Fair approach on taller characters. You are 100% right about that being effective if spaced properly. The fact that it only works on taller characters and requires perfect spacing is the reason I decided not to list that as a good approach option though. My goal with this guide was to write up something that could be applied to as many characters as possible. I suppose that may have limited myself but I'm glad you pointed this out and I hope others will look over here so they don't miss that piece of info.
Now as for Nair. I don't particularly feel good about that move. The range isn't great and it's got this weird property to it where if you cancel it too soon, it could actually have done no damage even though it hit. I think it's Pit's worst aerial. It does see decent use for opponents trying to recover low but for the most part I think I found myself doing better when I stopped bothering with this move.
I feel like Smash 4 is a very grounded game and isn't always worth going for aerials unless your opponent is also in the air. I still think I'd rather approach from the ground with ftilt and dtilt but fair isn't to be overlooked as you mentioned. I guess in short what I'm trying to say is that it should be used very sparingly. So sparingly that I was afraid to encourage it in the guide.
Ah okay, I see what you were going for! I do kind of agree with the Nair argument; I used to use it a ton, and now I find myself relying on Fair a lot more. I think if you suddenly find yourself close to your opponent (for example: after a stage transition) a short-hop Nair can pick them up and really catch them of guard. It's also pretty good for edge-guarding, as you mentioned already.

Of course, F-Tilt and D-Tilt are great options for approaching. I especially love using them against rush-down characters, or people who are being careless. People will run into F-Tilt after F-Tilt :shades: I agree that people usually forget about the range and quickness of Pit's tilts; I find a lot of rush-down characters get thrown off by them a lot.

Is it just me, or are the Pit forums blowing up lately with all these guides and new discovery threads? Keep on repping Pit, and keep fighting the good fight!:shades:

Ericchi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Terminia
Is it just me, or are the Pit forums blowing up lately with all these guides and new discovery threads? Keep on repping Pit, and keep fighting the good fight!:shades:
I sure hope there's more interest in this character! I actually joined Smashboards just today in hopes of finding out new things about Pit. Didn't look like there was many guides so I figured why not add my own and see if it sparks interest in other people writing more. Even if it's just to tell me they disagree, at least it's Pit discussion.

Last edited:

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Great guide!

Nair imo is good for "catching" opponents in the air, mainly when they try to get too close to you and you don't have the opportunity to space a fair. I also like short hop rising nair for grounded opponents who are right up on you, you get some damage, flinches, and you get to end up in the air so the landing lag is irrelevant. It does actually have as good if not better range than the other aerials (though not by much) but the difference is it's all around Pit instead of in front of or above him so that's why I say it's mainly only good in a situation where you don't know exactly where the opponent will be but you can move Pit in the general vicinity and nair. For example, catching people who get up from the ledge by jumping. But as you say in a post above I'd never just use it as a basic approaching tool, no way.

About the close range grabs, usually at 0% I will do dthrow-->usmash (or nair if it's a bit laggy and I don't expect to be able to input the dash to up smash properly), then at higher (but still low) percents I always do dthrow-->uair. When percent starts getting higher, sometimes people will DI away from Pit and that's when I start going for fairs.

Timbers

check me out
I personally agree. I find short hop fair not only to be a tremndously viable retreat spacing option, but a helpful approach tool as well. You can poke at the shield, and fast fall it to catch opponents off guard with the long lasting and speedy hit-box.
Not too familiar with Pit, but doesn't fair have a lot of shield lag? (similar to Pikachu's fair and G&W's bair) I'm sure this is safe against a lot of the taller (and usually laggier) characters, but I can see stuff such as DK/Bowser upB OoS and maybe RosaLuma punishing this, no?

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
I fought a DK recently that I was having trouble with and then managed to crack wide open with liberal use of nairs. before I was trying to grab or dash attack but then I started running up and nairing or jumping and nairing into him when he was in the air and it did the trick pretty much every time. I don't think Fair or Dair would have worked out as well because Nair comes out earlier and because it lasts so long and cover's Pit's whole body I think means that it's a pretty safe and noncommital move even if it's not quite a "meaty" meaty Nair.

Last edited:

A_Y

Smash Rookie
NNID
ant-3d
3DS FC
0963-2027-2441
8/8 gr8 tech find m8. i congratul8

Top Bottom