• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

general help & why jab after shffl?

heisenberg__

Smash Rookie
so i am pretty new at learning this game to the next level, been to two tournaments now to get ***** and i want to be able to play very well and i have the time and effort to, hope to get some questions answered...

first off, i am pretty well at shffling, teching, things of this sort so what are some things i can work on during solo time to up my game? i play my 3 brothers all time or alot ill just practice comboing a lvl 1 cpu or work on shffling, ledgehopping, etc. falcon has a pretty puny wavedash and i can't comfortably use this in a match yet.

as for my style of play i use a butt-ton of shffld aerials, still need improvement on approaching with the nair though, i think i use side-b a little too much, not very many tilts but here and there, just enough grabs and i never jab. i have noticed a lot that when a falcon has shffld, they land and throw out a few jabs. i read somewhere its to prevent shieldgrabbers and i do not know what this means, so tell me, why would someone jab a few times particularly after a shffl?

so anything i get back i will take as a tip, anything you have to say about my questions or my gameplay or whatever, thanks a bunch guys...
-heisenberg

~~~~

"say my name"

SAUS

Smash Ace
Don't really know what to say for solo practice. I used to do it a long time ago, but then stopped because it was making me worse at the game. I just screw around when I am solo or I try to learn some weird technique like reverse boomerang ledge cancel for fast edge hogging (don't worry about what that is lol).

Captain falcon's wave dash is actually not bad if you do it perfectly. There is that weird angle between down-sideways that forces you to push the joy stick against the flat part of the plastic surrounding the joy stick and it's awkward to hold, but you can actually go quite far. You don't wave dash a ton, but it is still useful. For Captain Falcon though, I think wavelanding is quite important.

Shuffling is strong with captain falcon. He has some very deadly air moves and his combos are largely done with them. Usually, it's something like aerial->grab at low damages, and aerial->knee at higher damages. Captain falcon's neutral air is probably your best option a lot of the time if you can space it right, but don't throw out moves for no reason. You will get punished by good players.

Side-b is deadly, but it's also extremely dangerous. If you don't know it will land, it is a big risk.

Getting tilts in your game will take time. It's more of a thing you pick up by watching people or by just playing a lot against good players.

Shield grabbing - Every character can grab out of shield (you can't do a jab out of shield, but you can grab, among other things). This is one of the most basic defensive options. Your opponent attacks you, you shield it, you get a free grab. It's a very simple form of punishment. Throwing out a jab makes it really hard to pull shield grabs off.

There' more to the jab though. Most characters can't do anything out of their shield except: roll, side step, jump, or grab. The jab is fast enough to allow you to punish a roll or side step (they dodge your jab, but then you chase and get free hits/grabs), and it will prevent your opponent from jumping or grabbing (for the most part). It just keeps the pressure on your opponent until they do something stupid which you can capitalize on.

I use jab out of shuffled aerials when I land behind my opponent - particularly after a neutral-air. You can do another shuffled neutral-air right after and there is not much they can do. It's just a nice shield pressuring option. Other than that, it will mess up their defensive options if they try to punish my moves. With any character, if you jab them, the short stun can just make them fumble their tech. They will do something silly or maybe they will just hide in their shield and you get to take advantage of that. Jabs are quite powerful.

Zhea

Smash Ace
You should ask this in the Falcon social, I know it's a misnomer, but that's where our qna is. Also read the Falcon index. It's pretty good.

heisenberg__

Smash Rookie
thanks alot saus, some very helpful tips and knowledge. i will definitely look to implement these into my game.

Top Bottom