• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gendering Music Discussion

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Some of the music I listen to suffers from a different kind of discrimination (that being heavier metal like death and black), but I've never really let it bother me. The times I've had people question my tastes or even insult me over it, I simply respond with actual reasons why I enjoy it, your dad's example of how vocals being only one part of the music being one of them. Any time somebody says they dislike the music I listen to, I simply ask them why, and if they give legitimate reasons, I discuss it with them, and it usually turns into an interesting conversation. If they don't, then I simply disregard them. It doesn't bother me one bit.
I also listen to other kinds of rock, like classic and grunge, some techno and electronica stuff (which I also get questioned about, although not as often), and a bit of underground hip hop, chill stuff like funk and jazz, and even random stuff like 70s/80s pop.

I suppose gender discrimination doesn't really apply to me as much, but it's the same idea. There are beautiful female vocalists out there, and I'll listen to them no matter what anybody thinks of it. As I said before, any time people question me about that, I simply ask them to explain their views: "why is that [stupid/gay/for girls/weird/bad music/etc]", "does it really matter?", "do you think that stereotype is really true?", "would you stop listening to music you liked because somebody else didn't like it?", "is it really worth mocking people for their musical tastes?", "Why would you put down a type of music or decide you don't like it without bothering to try and understand it?". If they're unable to do so, then does what they say really matter? You shouldn't let it bother you.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'll listen to whatever sounds good, whether it is a female or male vocalist. I do prefer female singers most of the time, especially in japanese songs, however.

I still don't like people looking at my music in my Sansa, though, no matter how much I don't care what the say. Starts all sorts of unnecessary crap that can be easily avoided.

Scott!

Smash Lord
While I'll listen to whatever I like, as I've said here before, I will often listen to the most embarrassing stuff in ways that won't end up on my last.fm profile, i.e. playing the youtube video in a different tab on repeat. I've dealt with enough questions and judgments from people that it's not worth it getting into that stuff anymore, so I keep it to myself.

(I've been playing Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry like this all night... I have no hope.)

Prawn

Smash Master
I think a big difference is a female singer who isn't that good of a singer sounds terrible, but men can pull off emotion/beauty without being a fantastic singer,

examples include Kevin Devine, Elliot Smith, Conor Oberst(Bright Eyes), Jesse Lacey(Brand New), Andy Hull(Manchester Orchestra), and Ben Gibbard(Death Cab For Cutie, The Postal Service).

None of these guys are particularly amazing singers, but they manage to emotionally bring you in to all the music they make with their voices. Where as every band that has a girl singer(for the most part) has a completely flawless voice.

Top Bottom