• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gen V OU RMT : Development

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Introduction

Hey there, the name's Seikend. I've recently arrived in this sub-forum and I'll be presenting you guys with my first RMT.

I am, quite frankly, a newb when it comes to competitive Pokemon. I played around a little on PO a couple of years ago but I never really seriously played. With the arrival of the 5th Gen, I was inspired to get involved again. I set myself the goal to create a team with the following requirements:

• Avoid Gimmicks
  • Avoid Reliance on Luck (flinchhax etc.)
  • Avoid Reliance on one Pokemon or Weather
  • Solidly deal with Opposing Weathers

While this might be an obvious list to any veteran, a lot of new players have issues with creating solid non-gimmick teams with Synergy. It's a barrier that a lot of people seem to face and one that I personally struggled with. This team, Development, was not intended to be a winning team. The primary intent was to teach myself to play Pokemon in a new environment.

Team Building

When I first began I was honestly directionless. My team consisted of mostly Pokemon I liked. However from this I developed ideas and I continued to work on my team. Through a lot of switching and thought, new more refined goals began to develop. My first observation was the prevalence of Drought, Drizzle and Sand Stream teams around. I decided very early on that I wanted a team that could deal effectively with opposing weathers.

The first step was to force weather changes. To me, Drizzle and Drought are the most threatening weathers and as a bonus Sand Stream doesn't force me to run a team based around it.

Hippowdon with his instant recovery seemed the obvious choice to me. With SR, Roar, EQ and Slack Off he took the lead position in my team.

As didn't want to heavily rely on one pokemon, I needed solid answers to Politoed and Ninetails.

With a bit of experimenting, I found a Calm Mind Suicune worked well. He solidly counters Politoed (really only decently-damaged by HP grass which seems to be rare). With Full HP he's capable of taking a solarbeam from Ninetails and to 1HKO it back with Surf.

The next on the list was covering the grass weakness both Suicine and Hippowdon have.

Zapdos was the answer. Running Heatwave and Thunderbolt, it's a solid answer to most grass and steel types.

The first 3 pokemon cover each other well in terms of elemental types, but I lacked resistances to Psychic, Ghost, Dragon and Dark. I also lacked strong physical attackers. Lucario was a welcome addition to the team.

To cover that Psychic weakness and to provide some much needed team support, I added Espeon. Magic Mirror and Calm Mind + Baton pass to support Suicine and Zapdos are a great help. It threatens any Psychic pokemon in with Shadow Ball.

And finally, the last pokemon. This team sorely needs a revenge killer and Garchomp is his name.

Team Resistances and Weaknesses

Team Changes

Get wrecked by Stone Edge Roobushin.
Suicune has been replaced by Slowbro

I don't know why people run scarfchomp, subdance is so much better and can sweep a team easily
but if u really want scarf chomp u should run
-dragon claw(or outrage but ferro plagues the metagame and he can easily switch in on this and gyro ball u to death with the support from iron barbs)
-aqua tail
-stone edge
-EQ
I will be replacing Garchomp's Outrage or Dragon Claw with Stone Edge. Need to experiment to decide.

An In-Depth Look

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

The Physical wall of the team. I play very conservatively with him, only using SR if I'm sure I'll survive. Roar prevents him from being set-up bait, Slack off whenever the opportunity arises. He's also a potential switch in for Suicine and Zapdos, resisting both Electric and Rock attacks that might be aimed at them.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

The bulky water of the team. My answer to common raindance pokemon and fighting types.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 228 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Roar
- Heat Wave

My Specially Defensive Zapdos works really well with Suicine. Grass is resisted by Zapdos, whilst Suicine covers the ice weakness. Zapdos threatens Grass types with Heatwave. I'll usually Roost if I need to and phaze them out.

Lucario @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

He hits stuff hard. I'll bring him in to deal with Blissey/Chansey or to come in on attacks he resists. Ice Punch for dragons, Crunch for Psychic and Ghosts, Extreme Speed if I need priority, Close Combat otherwise. He can work against Gliscor, but Suicine generally does a better job.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Is Baton Pass Espeon even legal on PO/Smogon? My home server is PBC (Don't ask why) and it's legal there so I'm not complaining. Switch in on a predicted mirror-able move or a psychic move. If I have the opportunity to Calm Mind I will. If Espeon can't deal with anything switched in on her I'll Baton Pass to either Suicune or Zapdos. Opponents switching in and using U-turn screws me over a lot though, need to be less greedy with CMs.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Claw

The revenge killer. The main moves are Dragon Claw and Outrage, for early and late game respectively. EQ gives nice coverage and Aqua Tail deals with pesky Gliscors and works fairly well with EQ.

Conclusion

Ironically for coming back to start anew in 5th Gen, I ended up with a team that uses few of the new pokemon and abilities that came with a new generation. I'm happy overall with my team as no glaring weaknesses come out at me. Unfortunately I don't know all the common threats in Gen 5 and so can't provide a good commentary on threats to this team. I have been testing it for a couple of days and I've been slowly creeping up the ladder which is fine by me.

Detailing any threats and weaknesses to my team would greatly be appreciated, as well as suggested changes. While I definitely want to keep the core of Hippopotas, Suicune and Zapdos, the rest of the team is very open to change.

Thanks for reading.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Why did you use CM instead of just using Psychic? If you add Thunder Wave on Slowbro, it can immediately disable the opponent. Also, using Psyshock as a check to Roobushin is not viable unless you are slower than him. I am too lazy to check the speed stats.

Enzo

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure slowbro is slower than conkeldurr.
if anything it can run -speed nature since slowbro has no need for speed

I don't know why people run scarfchomp, subdance is so much better and can sweep a team easily
-dragon claw(or outrage but ferro plagues the metagame and he can easily switch in on this and gyro ball u to death with the support from iron barbs)
-aqua tail
-stone edge
-EQ

IMO leadtar is so much better than hippo
it can setup rocks, is VERY vulky on the special spectrum and can hit ferro and most poke in general

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Why did you use CM instead of just using Psychic? If you add Thunder Wave on Slowbro, it can immediately disable the opponent. Also, using Psyshock as a check to Roobushin is not viable unless you are slower than him. I am too lazy to check the speed stats.
Just being dumb I guess.

Replaced the set. If I did use TW I'd have to replace Slack Off, which I'm not so fond of doing. Will try it out either way, see how it goes.

Im pretty sure slowbro is slower than conkeldurr.
if anything it can run -speed nature since slowbro has no need for speed

-aqua tail
-stone edge
-EQ

IMO leadtar is so much better than hippo
it can setup rocks, is VERY vulky on the special spectrum and can hit ferro and most poke in general
Without Scarfchomp my team gets pretty easily outsped. Unless you have an idea for an alternative revenger it's all I've got.

Will experiment with the set Garchomp runs and with Ttar.

Thanks very much guys for your advice. One pokemon that's currently dealing me a world of trouble is Genosect, trying to find a counter to him now.

Edit: Thinking of adding a Supporting Blissey w/ Wish and Aromatherapy. Is Blissey Bulky enough to avoid being 2HKOed by a Scarfed Genosect? Doesn't matter much, U-turning Genosects are just a nightmare.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
My Specially Defensive Zapdos works really well with Suicine. Both Electric and Grass are resisted by Zapdos, whilst Suicine covers the ice weakness.

Pressure Zapdos is hit neutrally by electric type moves. I really hope that was just a typo...

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Aah, yup, my bad. Hippowdon covers electric. Will sort that out.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Since you replaced Suicune you should fix your Pokemon descriptions. Also, Slowbro really should be running a set like Scald, Flamethrower, Slack Off, Yawn/Toxic/Thunder Wave. You can status water types, hit Ferrothorn REALLY hard and wall Conkledurr easily. I think +2 max attack payback can't 2HKO you unless sand or hail is up. Scald should 3HKO and it has a chance to burn.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
For Garchomp, all Aqua Tail does is display "Super Effective!" Outrage is actually better cause it hits the same damage and is more accurate for hitting Gliscor. Use Fire Fang instead for Ferrothorn.

Also all Hippo is doing on this team is ruining your Lefties for the worst Drizzle check in the game and an okay Drought Check. I have no idea how you'd replace it though unless you went BulkyTar, which solves nothing >.<

As long as you have sand, use Excadrill over Lucario. Better speed and Power. Use Adamant LO SD or if you really hate LO, use Air Balloon, and make sure to rack up a little damage on Gliscor before they come in. It is only like 1000x more prepared for than Lucario, but Lucario is really bad so Excadrill will be dealing more damage anyways.

Top Bottom