• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GDC 2008: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Post-Mortem with Masahiro Sakurai

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
There seem to be a few topics on this but they all are prediction topics or something. The presentation he gave is now over. Kotaku liveblogged it and websites are getting their summaries up. I'll update this post with links.

Wired: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/sakurai-talks-a.html
Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/359758/liveblogging-sakurais-super-smash-bros-brawl-design
Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/22/gdc08-sakurai-on-super-smash-bros-brawl-development/

All in all, it was interesting but I was hoping for more information on all the red tape they had to go through to get Snake and Sonic in the game. I wanted to hear what exactly they had to do to get Sega and Konami to lend them their properties. How he did attack animations was really interesting though!

D

Deleted member

I thought it was pretty good besides Kotaku saying there would be exclusive information revealed when in the end there was nothing special. Besides that I enjoyed it. :)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I thought it was pretty good besides Kotaku saying there would be exclusive information revealed when in the end there was nothing special. Besides that I enjoyed it. :)
That sort of annoyed me actually. Kotaku hyping something up and not delivering. I hope it means they have an interview or something lined up. After the IGN one, I'm hoping Sakurai talked to more press.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said:
Characters were chosen based on their individuality, saying they must stand out in the game. They had to consider developments costs and the time needed to include someone in the roster.
They shouldn't have spent so much time and resources on the ,doomed to only to be remembered for a month if that, SSE.

Yes, I blame the SSE for everything...

More serious note though.
In a way, I can see a plus side to the speech being so shallow. I was almost positive that we'd be seeing a horrid amount of over speculation and conspiracies based on some out of context words Sakurai happened to say here and there. However, since there really wasn't anything new, I can kind of see a bright side to it .

ClickOnTheLink

Smash Cadet
Yeah, what was up with Kotaku and their "exclusive" info? That's probably their way of getting us to not check out any other sites for the Post-Mortem. It was interesting, but could've been a lot better.

ClickOnTheLink

Smash Cadet
They shouldn't have spent so much time and resources on the ,doomed to only to be remembered for a month if that, SSE.

More serious note though.
In a way, I can see a plus side to the speech being so shallow. I was almost positive that we'd be seeing a horrid amount of over speculation and conspiracies based on some out of context words Sakurai happened to say here and there. However, since there really wasn't anything new, I can kind of see a bright side to it .
Except now we'll be seeing these threads instead "SAKURAI DID NOT DE-CONFIRM ROY/MEWTWO/DLC etc.etc."

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Hm, the "apparently some Nintendo characters couldnt be included for rights issues" part is intriguing. Wonder if he meant, say, Geno, or perhaps Custom Robo or something different.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Hm, the "apparently some Nintendo characters couldnt be included for rights issues" part is intriguing. Wonder if he meant, say, Geno, or perhaps Custom Robo or something different.
Ray is IN the game so that's not what he's talking about. Most likely he's referring to Geno or perhaps Mallow it seems.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, many people are going to be blaming the SSE for the "Secret 7" getting cut.
Sure, SSE will be fun the first one or two times, but additional characters would be fun for years. The posterity of Smash would've been better to have gone with more characters...

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
The rights issue for Nintendo characters really does scream Geno. I can see Square not allowing him to be used in the game, honestly. I may be mistaken here, but the last I heard they didn't even have interest in putting up any of their bigger titles in the Wii shop channel.

Well, it's all in the past now, and I thought it was interesting how all of the characters in the game had been selected before actually work on the physical game was started.

Yeah, many people are going to be blaming the SSE for the "Secret 7" getting cut.
Sure, SSE will be fun the first one or two times, but additional characters would be fun for years. The posterity of Smash would've been better to have gone with more characters...
But you forget, Sakurai sees a bunch of characters as "extra stuff" in the game just to attempt to make it bigger, and he would rather add something larger/unique/whatever.

Fans would rather have characters, but it wasn't designed as the fans would want, it seems.

Top Bottom