• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GC controller mod

Do you want to use a GC controller to play 3DS Smash?

• Total voters
NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/nintend...your-3ds-to-have-gamecube-controller-support/

How about that for the people here with big hands? I'm having a really hard time with my hands cramping playing on such a small device. Want a relative size comparison? I can completely envelop my 3DS XL with my hands, leaving nothing showing.

I would kill to have the time to set this up. I took today off to play smash, but have to get back to work, moving and all the other boring 'life' stuff.

Also - would the competitive community frown or frequent this mod?

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
It seems kinda weird playing smash with a controller that's bigger than the screen itself. It'd be nice to have a c-stick, but I don't think the 3ds controls are bad at all, and plus I' m just going to play the Wii U version when it comes out so there's no real point in me setting this up.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
As much as I would love a gamecube controller I don't want to have a unfair advantage over my opponents

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
As much as I would love a gamecube controller I don't want to have a unfair advantage over my opponents
This. It would really give some people an edge, and as awesome as it would be to have, it just wouldn't be fair. Now I do really wish that I could get some handle-bars or something for my 3DS. My hands are feeling pretty cramped at this point.

Unseen Dragon

Smash Rookie
This. It would really give some people an edge, and as awesome as it would be to have, it just wouldn't be fair. Now I do really wish that I could get some handle-bars or something for my 3DS. My hands are feeling pretty cramped at this point.
There are grips available for the 3DS/3DS XL :)

S2

Smash Lord
While I find the proof of concept really cool, going online with a GC controller is pretty much equal to using a controller mod. In tournaments these were always banned (people used to mod GC shoulder buttons when Melee was newer so the pressure sensitivity was different/gone, this was not tournament legal).

If you're worried about holding onto the system, buy a 3DS grip. They range in price and quality, but I think hori makes a pretty good one. These are just plastic shells your 3DS fits in so that it's easier to hold. I believe there is a topic in the 3DS general discussions where someone has links to most of the major ones and where to get them.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Who told you it wasn't legal to remove the springs from a GC controller? Sorry but that's simply untrue. This GC mod for 3DS is indeed legal, you can use a c-stick, and you will see them used in tourneys. Is it exactly fair? Not really, but that won't stop people from using them to get an early competitive edge.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Hahaha... I'l just wait until the Wii U version comes out. That's where all the major tournaments are going to be anyways. Let the 3DS be it's own thing.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
think i'll just wait for smash wii-u.. as i'll prob never touch the 3ds version after that comes out

NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
While I find the proof of concept really cool, going online with a GC controller is pretty much equal to using a controller mod. In tournaments these were always banned (people used to mod GC shoulder buttons when Melee was newer so the pressure sensitivity was different/gone, this was not tournament legal).

If you're worried about holding onto the system, buy a 3DS grip. They range in price and quality, but I think hori makes a pretty good one. These are just plastic shells your 3DS fits in so that it's easier to hold. I believe there is a topic in the
3DS general discussions where someone has links to most of the major ones and where to get them.
That's neat, I've never heard of said devices. I'll look into it but if I'm not going to a tourney I think I'll end up with a mod anyways. I don't think gaming and pain should go hand in hand. I'll save that for lifting and swimming. :) of you have a link to the other thread with discussion on all the models that would be awesome.

Cheers,

S2

Smash Lord
That's neat, I've never heard of said devices. I'll look into it but if I'm not going to a tourney I think I'll end up with a mod anyways. I don't think gaming and pain should go hand in hand. I'll save that for lifting and swimming. :) of you have a link to the other thread with discussion on all the models that would be awesome.

Cheers,
Here's a link to the thread for 3DS shells:
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...the-3ds-using-a-controller-style-grip.359407/

Hope you find whatever is most comfortable for you. The 3DS is probably not going to be a tournament standard, so good luck in finding something that works for you.

NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
I ended up with a GC modded 3DS. Simple fact of the matter is I know the controller really well, and my hands are too big to do the 3DS or 2DS. I've mapped the buttons to mimic the GC exactly for Melee. If anyone wants to know how to mod it, I can send instructions - send me a PM (since I don't think that posting mod instructions to hardware in public is a good idea - you need a lot of soldering experience to do it).

Happy smashing! No more sore hands!

mimgrim

Smash Hero
While I find the proof of concept really cool, going online with a GC controller is pretty much equal to using a controller mod. In tournaments these were always banned (people used to mod GC shoulder buttons when Melee was newer so the pressure sensitivity was different/gone, this was not tournament legal)
Pretty sure this is false. The only type of controller mod that was banned was macro type button things, like SH only button, but removing the springs from the GCC was allowed.

http://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-smash-ruleset-discussion.368605/page-8#post-17860715

NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
Pretty sure this is false. The only type of controller mod that was banned was macro type button things, like SH only button, but removing the springs from the GCC was allowed.

http://smashboards.com/threads/competitive-smash-ruleset-discussion.368605/page-8#post-17860715
I've never heard of different controllers being banned from tournaments (SF), since there are a lot of controller types available. Macro's and turbo will never be allowed. My GC mod is purely for comfort, and I adore it. I've even build the 3DS a little stand now so I can lean back in a chair and play!

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
If it was possible without modding, I definitely would, but at this point, I think it's a lot more sensible to just wait for the Wii U version to come out.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Brawl had 3 controller options. Would you say that those using the GCN controller on a Wii or even the upcoming Smash game have an advantage? Modding a GCN controller to your 3DS wouldn't be all that different aside from the fact that it was installed, and that it delivers better comfort for some, as well as using something that is more familiar.

Last edited:
NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
Yup, I've got c stick on as well. I get so excited besting people up with normal smashes I forget sometimes I've got the c stick power.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Yup, I've got c stick on as well. I get so excited besting people up with normal smashes I forget sometimes I've got the c stick power.
Does it futz on you too sometimes though? As I understand it, we're both using DekuNukem's mod. I know he did the mod by using a macro, but I find sometimes I end up doing tilt attacks instead of smashes and that makes me reluctant to rely on it.

Can I see a picture of your completed DS mod? I want to see how other's did their cases.

Last edited:
NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
Does it futz on you too sometimes though? As I understand it, we're both using DekuNukem's mod. I know he did the mod by using a macro, but I find sometimes I end up doing tilt attacks instead of smashes and that makes me reluctant to rely on it.

Can I see a picture of your completed DS mod? I want to see how other's did their cases.
Yea sure, I'll show you my set up when I have some time. Posting from bed, so it will be when I stop in next. I haven't had it be unreliable per se. It definitely knows when you are moving it slow enough to not be a smash attack (c stick)

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I ended up with a GC modded 3DS. Simple fact of the matter is I know the controller really well, and my hands are too big to do the 3DS or 2DS. I've mapped the buttons to mimic the GC exactly for Melee. If anyone wants to know how to mod it, I can send instructions - send me a PM (since I don't think that posting mod instructions to hardware in public is a good idea - you need a lot of soldering experience to do it).

Happy smashing! No more sore hands!
AND now you have another wireless gamecube controller for the Wii U version :p

Top Bottom