• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GAW's fair =_=;

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
I know m2 has much worse matchups, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a way around gaw's shhlf'ed fair approach. I can't outrange or outprioritize it at all, and if I shield it they can cover up the landing with dtilt which comes out almost instantly (so i either get hit or I get pushed back). I've tried spacing to avoid it but it's rather difficult because it comes out relatively fast and has so much range.

what are my best option(s) here?

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
i play against competitive GaW but i dont find the fair and dtilt that impenetrable.

a common solution to most cases: move fast and dashdance +wavedash lots because the more you move around, the more opportunities come up.
taunt and retreat tactics are really effective if this matchup.

your dtilt also has sufficient range to help you make use of those opportunities.

occassionally, bring nairs out of your shield if he gets close enough.

nairs can also be used as an aerial approach as long as you dont over use it.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
****, that's tricky. I play both GaW AND M2. The most I can say is either Wavedash out of shield away from the Fair and shffl a Nair or Dtilt. I dunno. I'm not pro so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Fabulous

Smash Cadet
Try outranging with the bair.
Maybe wavedash out of range of the fair, out of shield, as Speedsk8er said, and see if disable is in range when he tries his dtilt after the wiffed fair.
Also try the forward tilt, the range and come out speed is pretty whorish, and its not very punishable.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Fair is GW's ONLY approach ;D so be creative, you get more chances to react to it because he can't do anything else except CC Dtilt defensively.
1 way to do it is lightshield both Fair and Dtilt then grab.

quak

Smash Champion
POSTING FROM COMMUNIST CHINA!

-baby shadowballs

-yes, wd more, and mix up the distance you wd so you don't get predictable

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
thanks guys, great ideas--i'm sure i won't be able to instantly counter it (not all things have a weak point...otherwise we'd have a way around SHL =p) but i can definitely see some of these things helping. i need to increase my overall speed, i know i'm sometimes a bit too sluggish in terms of overall playstyle (not a m2-specific problem).
more baiting, is good. and more dtilt, since i've been underusing it lately (i tend to go for dthrow more, but you can't always get the grab)

ftilt actually works quite nicely at some %s, im not sure if it's necessarily always the best option but it comes out really fast, has decent range, and knocks them back a good-sized amount.

nairs are already being used, though not as an approach (i like to follow/chase with nairs)

disable after he whiffs the dtilt sounds really weird but worth a shot.

Essentially I think I just need to work my spacing more. There's no move which can really beat out the fair so i just need to not get hit by it. Shielding is also an option but would be even better if i could just space to avoid it, since that makes it easier to do things afterward.

Top Bottom