• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's pseudo-chaingrab

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
First off, I already searched about this so here goes.

Though you can call it just tech-chasing, Ganon moves a lot quicker when performing his flame choke and dash attacks respectively. So, by using these moves, Ganon can play with
his foes a lot more easily. Though it probably won't work on smaller, faster characters.

The Idea:
Perform a flame choke or aerial flame choke. When this move connects, your foe will get their face pounded into the ground like fresh roadkill. You will be standing directly over their head. From this, you have many options.

-Shield: This will discourage your foe from using their get up attack. They will either stand up or roll. If they roll, jump out of your shield and immediately aerial flame choke in their direction. If they get up, grab them, then dthrow for a combo starter. Or, you can flame choke again if you want, since it goes through shields. Repeat as desired for chaingrab-esque effect. I prefer this method.

-Thunderstorm: This attack won't connect because your opponent is too low, but if they get up or attack, they'll get *****. This attack also encourages your opponent to roll, and as we all know, Thunderstorms are lagless. Ganon's dash attack/flame choke should be fast enough to chase your opponent effectively.

-Aerial Wizard's Foot: Kinda stupid looking and laggy if you miss. But it guarantees a hit if your opponent is starting to catch on to what you're doing with your flame chokes. Ever notice that dtilt, usmash, and down angled fsmash often miss after a flame choke? Wizards Foot can, and will hit anybody on the ground after a flame choke. Instant aerial wizard's foot is about as fast as a jab so the move should definitely be fast enough.

-Attack: This isn't recommended because it often misses. Attacks that can hit your opponent on the ground include dtilt, down angled fsmash, usmash, utilt (don't bother), and usmash (if they're fat). Certain characters can't be hit at all by some or all of these attacks. On stages where there are slants, you can land these hits much more easily. Some examples include, delfino plaza, halberd, yoshi's island, frigate orpheon, and lylat cruise. These are also stages where Thunderstorming fails to work when you use it uphill. Obviously, you should attack as soon as your flame choke ends.

~~~~~ Attacks that work after a Flame Choke ~~~~~

The JAB
DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, G&W, Diddy, Pit, Meta Knight, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ike, Snake, Dedede, Bowser, ROB, Olimar, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers

The D-TILT
Mario, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, G&W, Luigi, Diddy, Zelda, Sheik, Pit, Meta Knight, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, Dedede, Ness, Sonic, T.Link, ROB, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Lucas, ZSS, Ice Climbers

The F-TILT
Yoshi, Meta Knight, Olimar, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Nothing: The ultimate mindgame. Your opponent has all of their options available to them. You'll need quick reactions to follow what they perform next though.

The Application:
Flame chokes can be used out of a shield very effectively. You can also flame choke onto a slant to "cancel" it (Stages with slants listed under 'Attack'). Aerial flame chokes can be used as a form of movement. By moving using flame choke, you ensure that you cannot be shield grabbed since flame choke has priority over grabs. You CAN be attacked out of it though (projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, y'know.... like all of Pit's specials).

Aerial flame choke and the dash attack are like opposites. Dash attack has a buttload of priority and can hit through attacks, but not shields. Aerial flame choke doesn't hit through attacks, but eats shields whole.

The Controls: (using default controls)
--Shield flame choke--
[ R ]===(X/Y)=(B>)=repeat if desired
--Aerial flame choke--
(X/Y)=(B>)
--Dark Dive--
In case you've all forgotten from melee, Lv9 cpu Ganons love to spam their Dark Dive attack. In brawl, Dark Dive has a buttload of range, imagine Marth's jc'd grab from melee. B-up out of shield is viable for Ganon now! It's hella annoying since it goes through shields as well.
[ R ]===(B^) You can choose which direction to move by moving the control stick in a diagonal direction instead of straight up.

~~The Chaingrab~~
The actual chaingrab is merely consecutive shield flame chokes. Aerial flame chokes can kill you if you use it too close to the edge. But, if you're close enough, you should still be able to grab the ledge. This "flame choke chaingrab" (I won't name it until I get feedback) works extremely effectively on small platforms since there's never any room for your foe to escape. Try this on battlefield's platforms. Then laugh as your opponent gets their face repeatedly smashed into the ground. This is by far not an infinite as small characters are not affected by this. Kirby and Sheik, among others, can crouch to avoid your aerial flame choke.

Ganon ***** shields, is a priority god, has ridiculous strength, can be fast when he wants to be, kills edgeguarders, and has a sword but refuses to use it so he won't become homosexual like Marth. Ganon is manliest among men.

Edit: Why didn't I use acronyms like "afc" (aerial flame choke) to save myself a bunch of typing! >.< *Repeatedly smashes face through car windshield*

~Thread made by ORLY to bring motivation to Ganon players. Don't worry, he won't be bottom tier for long. >=)

:034:

Smash Hero
Yeah, this was known before, but this a good and organized thread nonetheless. You forgot standing dtilt though, which is a garantueed hit on about half of the cast.

Pururun

Smash Rookie
Standing down tilt doesn't work on everyone. Bowser, Donkey, Marth, Falco, Link, Samus, Snake, Lucario, Wolf and Ganondorf himself have ways out, depending on the direction they decide to roll. It will work on everyone only if they decide to attempt a get up attack or lay there. The thunder punch covers Bowser, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus and Snake though. That leaves no guaranteed follow up on Lucario, Ganondorf, Marth, Falco and Wolf.

Wario and Squirtle can DI behind you, but it's easy to see.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
The standing down tilt doesn't work on everyone as Pururun says. But if your opponent is a character that can get hit by that combo and you end up getting them with your flamechoke at a high percent its a pretty cheap combo for KO haha! :D

Greaseman

Smash Rookie
I would say this "chaingrab" can be pretty deadly provided you read your opponant very well, I've gotten 5 consecutive hits on a good opponant DI'ing in various different ways. Ganon is most deff a sweet character, I mained him for the first week before I got bored. Still trying to find a main I don't get tired of :\

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
half? it works on everyone
This guy made a vid and showed that a Jab works on practically everyone (do it instantly), missing a rather heterogenous assortment of characters (Mario, Lucario, Marth, I think Olimar)

He then said you can d-tilt anyone in his description.

I later saw a vid where some guy showed the timing for d-tilt, but didn't exhaust the character list. You use it "when he puts his hand down".

Anyway, for me, I'd narrow the list of responses to:

Jab (end the chain easily)
d-tilt (for combos at mid percent)
Do nothing / Flame Choke
Shield(-grabbing)
and Wizard's Foot (answers three of five possible responses)

I am dubious of Dair'ing them. Wouldn't that only work (as an actual string with Choke) if they do nothing? I think they can wake up with invincibility in time, and then be ready even if you auto-cancel.

If what you're doing is getting away, then coming back with a Dair, that's different.

Anyway, your post gave me an idea for actually taunting swordsmen users. . . :chuckle:

Pururun

Smash Rookie
KoopaKoot's video was done without DIing. Opponents can DI as soon as they fall from the choke. The video showed Wario getting hit by a jab, but realistically, he'll DI so far behind you before you can even react and even wait for you to jab so he can get up attack and hit you.

These are the attacks that will land if they attempt to DI and Roll, left or right.(If they stay for a get up attack, D-tilt will always land)

The JAB
DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, G&W, Diddy, Pit, Meta Knight, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ike, Snake, Dedede, Bowser, ROB, Olimar, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers

The D-TILT
Mario, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, G&W, Luigi, Diddy, Zelda, Sheik, Pit, Meta Knight, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, Dedede, Ness, Sonic, T.Link, ROB, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Lucas, ZSS, Ice Climbers

The F-TILT
Yoshi, Meta Knight, Olimar, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Let me contribute some :)

After a flame choke, characters whose get up moves push ganon away too far for a grab will (or should) be using it almost every time they get flame choked. This is when using an AC (auto cancel) dair is real nice. It usually will let you get above them and stomp them as they are performing their get up attack. Thought I would contribute.

Also, I have found great success with AC dair-ing right into a dash attack. A lot of players will be expecting lag, and even further don't expect the range or power of the dash attack. Real nice approach for mid distance away.

Top Bottom