• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's matchups

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I've recently started playing PM. I main :ivysaur:. :ivysaur: is a good character (Mid tier most likely in singles and high tier inb teams), but she has piss poor matchups with a bunch of characters like :falcon:, :sheik:, :lucas:, and :link2:.

I wanted to pick up a good alt for these matchups. How does :ganondorf: fair vs the characters I listed? What are his worst matchups and best matchups?

Thank you in advance :).

:018:

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
i find a hard time going around projectiles with ganon. i secondary Cfalcon because of mobility and pure awesomeness.
I've so far played a CFalcon and a lucas main, and think he can fare very well against both. What you need to with ganon is have a few good reads and punish as well as you can each time. i've 0-deathed my brother's Cfalcon a few times with quick 4-6 hit combos. it was something like d-air,d-tilt, jab, fair, d-air meteor.
lucas dies quick too since he's pretty light.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
I've recently started playing PM. I main :ivysaur:. :ivysaur: is a good character (Mid tier most likely in singles and high tier inb teams), but she has piss poor matchups with a bunch of characters like :falcon:, :sheik:, :lucas:, and :link2:.

I wanted to pick up a good alt for these matchups. How does :ganondorf: fair vs the characters I listed? What are his worst matchups and best matchups?

Thank you in advance :).

:018:
pretty sure we already have a thread for this...

CORY

wut
BRoomer
hrmmm... from my limited experience, he's probably:
-close to even against falcon (he can control the pace of neutral, but if you catch him in your nair, you can destroy him. you both edgeguard each other stupidly well. probably slightly in falcon's favor?)
-slightly shiek's favor (she's still basically melee shiek. she just can't chain throw you to death. you have better tech punishing options, but she's still shiek in the end).
-lucas seems much more in his favor (solid projectile, tricky movement options, really strong shield pressure against our weak oos options. not so simple to edgeguard, and tricky to land your starting hits on.)
- i want to say link is slightly favored, but it might be straight up favored (he controls so much space with projectiles and can control your oos options much better than you can his. up close he has a sword. your saving grace is that you can get really good dthrow setups on him, but it's not easy to get in to start.)

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Here's the matchup thread, not that it sees much use: http://smashboards.com/threads/reconciliation-of-evil-the-ganondorf-match-up-discussion.334545/

Anyway, I think the Falcon matchup might be slightly in Ganon's favor, but it's at worst even. I want to say we're even with Sheik, but I haven't really played an actual Sheik main, so it's more of a gut feeling. Lucas is manageable, but the matchup definitely favors him, and Link is a goddamn chore and I'm pretty certain he has a decent advantage against Ganondorf.

Now lets get this discussion over to the actual thread, there's not nearly enough discussion there.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Let's see, what problems do you have with Charizard in particular. You probably are getting comboed the heck out of by Kirby, but I can't really help you there. Charizard on the other hand is easier for me to help you with. I play really aggressively, but if you are facing some really good zard's that probably will kill you. Mostly you want to let him go for the attack, since Gdorf is the best punisher in the game. 'zard might bait you with some fire, so bait him right back. F-tilt is your friend, same with d-tilt. If you approach him in the air, use your f-air to space. I don't know if that outreaches his nair, but it might. That is some basic advice. Some vids might be helpful. If I didn't help, tell me.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I'll look into it, thanks blade. I'll hopefully have videos Saturday, and just by looking at videos I'm fairly certain that his Nair outreaches our Fair. However I'm with you on that best punish in the game, all you need is 4 hits and they're at KO percent

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think charizard has us beat in the air. If you're fast enough, Ganon has his u-air, which is really good, but I'm not sure if it helps against nair. I guess going for the ground game would be preferable, and then try to combo him into the air. But, you definitely have to play hard to get, try and irritate the zard and then get out that whiff, which, for zard, is really good for you. I look forward to any vids you can get.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
So about the DK match up since it was asked in the DK Strong Bad thread - it's basically a matter of DK being equal to or better than us at just about everything. He has the big hit boxes and power just like we do, but he has the better recovery, a decent OoS option (up B), the grab reach we wish we had, and most importantly, much better mobility and speed. His punish game is way better unless we still have huge untapped potential. The only real advantage we have is side B, and in the match up, DK's tech roll doesn't go far enough (unlike say Link or Zelda) for side B tech chasing to be a risky option. Other than that though, DK is pretty much a better Ganondorf lol. With both a superior neutral and punish game, I don't think a good Ganon player should ever beat a good DK, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I did play friendlies with Poob last night and managed to take a few games off, but we were both tired and it wasn't a tournament set. I will say though, that if you know for sure DK is gonna attack, that a dash dance away + side B is incredibly useful for turning his offense into your offense. It actually works against a lot of rushdown tactics and I'll be experimenting with this more. Side B has a decent step back, so combining it with a dash dance away gives you generally enough space to avoid any attack, particularly when people like to use the maximum range of their attacks.

Last edited:

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
His lower polarization in regards to that style of play does help him in some mu's though. Characters like zelda punish DK harder than they punish g-dorf, at least that's how it seems.

Top Bottom