• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon: A counterpick to Ness?

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or is this actually a pretty hard matchup for ness? Ganon's large hitboxes make it hard for ness to approach and trade in Ganon's favor frequently with Ness's aerials, plus sideB to punish pkFire is very useful. I've had quite a bit of success using my Ganon side against Ness players, and I even beat a Ness player who ended up getting second in my locals with him.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Ness is probably the best top tier matchup for Ganon. In addition to that stuff he's pretty easy to edgeguard.

Also you can also hop over pk fire with wizkick if the opportunity arises.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
i remember the good old days
back when you had to know something to make a thread
back in the good old days
back when, people with 21 posts were cast aside to the wolves
back when, we had a mod cough@Vermanubiscough would do his job properly instead of galavanting around with whippersnappers in their crocs listening to their mp3 players while they drink their smirnoff ice lemonade flavored coolers
yep
but those days are gone i tells ya
now we gotta deal with nonsense
any old **** just struts in here with their carlton avatar thinkin they got the world by the balls
well lemme tell ya somethin there son
the world aint all peaches and cream
it aint all ***** and drugs
its hard and you gotta work hard
its not a place for the feint of heart
its a dark cold place where nothing lives, nothing breaths
one day when you've seen enough of that world like me you can come back perhaps
come back a man
a new man
a stronger man
but right now you're just not ready for the spiked **** that is life
your anus has not yet stretched far enough
so begone from this place pilgrim
and take your 21 posts witchya

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I think we do pretty good vs ness yeah, his Bthrow kills us later because of our weight and it's angle means we can recover from anywhere if it doesn't kill us.

Kosk probably meant this would be better in the Q and A section but our MU thread is yet to cover Ness and a space specifically for him isn't necessarily bad.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
It's even to slight disadvantage. Not a counterpick at all, but very winnable. Don't think Dorf is actually a counterpick to anyone remotely relevant. Some say he beats Wario, but I have next to no experience against him.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I think we do pretty good vs ness yeah, his Bthrow kills us later because of our weight and it's angle means we can recover from anywhere if it doesn't kill us.

Kosk probably meant this would be better in the Q and A section but our MU thread is yet to cover Ness and a space specifically for him isn't necessarily bad.
Dont you speak for me you ****

I said what i meant and i meant what said
Something something one hundred percent

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
i remember the good old days
back when you had to know something to make a thread
back in the good old days
back when, people with 21 posts were cast aside to the wolves
back when, we had a mod cough@Vermanubiscough would do his job properly instead of galavanting around with whippersnappers in their crocs listening to their mp3 players while they drink their smirnoff ice lemonade flavored coolers
yep
but those days are gone i tells ya
now we gotta deal with nonsense
any old **** just struts in here with their carlton avatar thinkin they got the world by the balls
well lemme tell ya somethin there son
the world aint all peaches and cream
it aint all ***** and drugs
its hard and you gotta work hard
its not a place for the feint of heart
its a dark cold place where nothing lives, nothing breaths
one day when you've seen enough of that world like me you can come back perhaps
come back a man
a new man
a stronger man
but right now you're just not ready for the spiked **** that is life
your anus has not yet stretched far enough
so begone from this place pilgrim
and take your 21 posts witchya
Word. Koskcrew 4 lyfe.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
wtf kosk

Also, I believe the MU is like Mario's. 50-50. (but then again, Mario is probably 55-45). We outrange a lot of Ness' stuff but his lingering hitboxes and decent edge guarding with PK thunder is pretty annoying.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I feel like Ness is relatively easy as long as you avoid getting carried to the blastzone by his Fair spam

Earthy

Smash Rookie
couldn't ness be for glory in that match up? seriously ganon is so slow, he wouldn't get close if ness uses pk thunder wisely

twistacles

Smash Rookie
For top tier matchups there's worse, but he can really box you out with fading aerials and apply constant safe shield pressure. If he gets you offstage he can mess you up really easily, too. What really messes with us is pk fire. If he hits us with it once, we go into a 50-50 where if we spotdodge we can get out of the dashgrab, but get screwed by a second pkfire. If we just sit in shield, we'll beat the dashattack/pkfire but get grabbed. We can't really dthrow into anything against him, though uthrow uair can work at low percents.

On the flip side, side+b>f-tilt shoots him offstage and sets up a recovery gimp. Uair and nair are great for gimping his recovery. If he's too far, you can try to dair it.

Your nair can box him out, but his fair comes out faster so you gotta be careful.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
For top tier matchups there's worse, but he can really box you out with fading aerials and apply constant safe shield pressure. If he gets you offstage he can mess you up really easily, too. What really messes with us is pk fire. If he hits us with it once, we go into a 50-50 where if we spotdodge we can get out of the dashgrab, but get screwed by a second pkfire. If we just sit in shield, we'll beat the dashattack/pkfire but get grabbed. We can't really dthrow into anything against him, though uthrow uair can work at low percents.

On the flip side, side+b>f-tilt shoots him offstage and sets up a recovery gimp. Uair and nair are great for gimping his recovery. If he's too far, you can try to dair it.

Your nair can box him out, but his fair comes out faster so you gotta be careful.
For PK fire I like to SDI out to perfect shield roll away(or towards if I read the dash grab) because he's not fast enough to punish the roll.

Top Bottom