• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gametrailer's Top Ten Games of '08 - SSBB is #10

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
What the **** Brawl's in the top 10?!

That's blasphemy!

But in all seriousness, it was expected. There aren't that much games people are anticipating on. I mean, asides from Prototype, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Starcraft 2, there aren't many games left.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
What the **** Brawl's in the top 10?!

That's blasphemy!

But in all seriousness, it was expected. There aren't that much games people are anticipating on. I mean, asides from Prototype, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Starcraft 2, there aren't many games left.

And be honest, the Super Smash Bros. series are overrated.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore!!!

But yeah, it should have gotten a little higher. GTA is a craptastic series, imo.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Only two on that list I am really interested in are Starcraft 2 and Brawl. But that is a pretty typical list, there are a few other games [that I am not personally interested in] that I am surprised were not on it.

That site tends to have few Nintendo fans on it though, and that list was based on their own sites interest and not a general interest, so the list does make a lot of sense.

Edit: This is also judging the games anticipation, not necessarily how good the games are.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
It's not about how good or brilliant the game is. It's if it is one of the most anticipated games. Due to leaks and delays, Brawl's anticipation has went down.

I can't believe they actually put Prototype on that list. That game is destined for failure. You can't make a first-person Assassin's Creed set in an EXACT REPLICA of New York City without some serious shortcomings and load times.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
10 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
9 - Ninja Gaiden 2
8 - Prototype
7 - Grand Theft Auto 4
6 - Little Big Planet
5 - Starcraft 2
4 - Final Fantasy 13
3 - Fallout 3
2 - Metal Gear Solid 4
1 - Resident Evil 5

(Sorry had to type it out or else I would forget it)

Hmm on my personal list I would have
10. Prototype
9. Fallout3
8. Ninja Gaiden 2
7. Little Big Planet
6. Starcraft 2
5. Final Fantasy 13
4. Grand Theft Auto 4
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
1. Resident Evil 5

Yes I'm a Resident Evil fan. Whatever. The lowest four on my list.. i haven't really been hearing or looking into them so its great for me.. But this is an all around thing so I guess its alright, nothing to get upset over.

-Onyx

Not to mention the absence of Spore on the list.

I have to say, though, Little Big Planet is shaping up to be AMAZING.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Mine =

1. MGS4 (Yes I'm a fanboy for the series, it is sure to be an EPIC experience)
2. SSBB (Why I'm posting here right now)
3. GTAIV (Always great games, mucho replay value)
4. RE5 (RE4 rocked ma sox)
5. Star Wars Force Unleashed (Next chapter of the Star Wars Saga, Jesus Christo)
6. LBP (I dig the game, looks fun to make custom levels and play online)
7. Resistance 2 (Say what you will, but R:FOM had great online, better then Halo3 for me)
8. Mario Kart Wii (It'll be fun)
9. FF13 (This will not even come out this year, so thats why its lower)
10. Spore ( ! )

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
How is this possible if we're february...
Because it's measuring anticipation from their own site, not how good the games are.

Notice none of those games are released (and ironically, a few of the games on that list are '09 releases...)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl will outsell the two best selling games on those list that aren't Brawl combined, guarenteed. Brawl has 10 10/10's, and has been called "the best game ever" by two gaming sites, who both gave Brawl their first perfect review. Brawl is better then all those games combined, PERIOD! Even MGS4 pisses it's pants in fear of Brawl. And Prototype would be lucky to sell 1 million units. Brawl has already s old over 1.5. Brawl will sell more then 10 million units, guarenteed=the Halo-killer. GTA sucks nowadays. Final Fantasy XIII will probably come out next year. DMC4 looks good, but it's not Brawl quality. MGS4 looks astounding, but the PS3 [and those Sony fanboys are even worse then the Nintendo kind] holds it back from the greatness of the 360.

All in all, Brawl will be the best selling game of 2008. Hell, it already is. It's the best selling game of January, Febuary, and soon to be March, probably April, and maybe even May [if rumors are right, and it reaches the UK then]. Brawl will takeover the gaming world in 2008. Seeing as how little good games are left to come out, Brawl is really the only game I care about, along with Resident Evil 5, and MGS4. But all in all, MGS, RE, DMC, and maybe GTA will last a month, and be loads of fun. Brawl will last at least 10, and will be INSANELY AWSOMELY FUN. Brawl is the best game EVER in the making, period.

GameTrailers, like every other reviewers, have become n00bs since 2007. I lost faith in them way back when they didn't dock Halo 3 points for a unoriginal battle system, and docking Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess for only having thebasics of their respective series' 3D battle systems. Prototype won't sell. Grand Turismo isn't that great, anyways. Sports game nowadays suck; same s*** every year, with the main part (ie: "the hole" in Madden and NBA games) glitched up and crap; unless they are Fight Nights.

So ya, Grand Turismo is overrated as crap. I got 4, and I realized, racing games are boring. Prototype will be Assassin's Creed, but with the lag factor. Grand Theft Auto 4 is said to suck, and probably will be rushed as hell. And the battle system for Grand Theft Auto is hardly that good to begin with, and is the most overrated franchise EVER, BY FAR! It seems to be falling apart, as time goes on. DMC4 looks great, but not LEGENDARY. MGS4 and RE5 looks legendary, but not "the best game ever" legendary. Grand Turismo isn't even that good. Neither is Ninja Gaiden. The NES ones were kinda good, and the newer ones are okay, but their actually challenging difficulty is why the series is [still] considered good. StarCraft 2 probably will be great, but nothing big next to Brawl, South Korea aside. Fallout 3 will be underrated, but still won't be as good as Brawl. Final Fantasy XIII will last a month at best, and won't be reviewed anywhere as good as Brawl. Little Big Planet looks too...IDK n00bish to me.

All in all, SSBB is the 2008 Game of The Year, hands down, as well as the most anticipated. Brawl is the best game on that list, saleswise, future reviewise, and from what the fans say. More proof that the gaming media is becoming more like the normal media: n00b-ruled, and full of corruption. Soon they'll all turn communist. And then, they'll all go to thedark side...I mean, favoring the PS3 above all. O wait, they already do! :laugh:

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Brawl will outsell the two best selling games on those list that aren't Brawl combined, guarenteed. Brawl has 10 10/10's, and has been called "the best game ever" by two gaming sites, who both gave Brawl their first perfect review. Brawl is better then all those games combined, PERIOD! Even MGS4 pisses it's pants in fear of Brawl. And Prototype would be lucky to sell 1 million units. Brawl has already s old over 1.5. Brawl will sell more then 10 million units, guarenteed=the Halo-killer. GTA sucks nowadays. Final Fantasy XIII will probably come out next year. DMC4 looks good, but it's not Brawl quality. MGS4 looks astounding, but the PS3 [and those Sony fanboys are even worse then the Nintendo kind] holds it back from the greatness of the 360.

All in all, Brawl will be the best selling game of 2008. Hell, it already is. It's the best selling game of January, Febuary, and soon to be March, probably April, and maybe even May [if rumors are right, and it reaches the UK then]. Brawl will takeover the gaming world in 2008. Seeing as how little good games are left to come out, Brawl is really the only game I care about, along with Resident Evil 5, and MGS4. But all in all, MGS, RE, DMC, and maybe GTA will last a month, and be loads of fun. Brawl will last at least 10, and will be INSANELY AWSOMELY FUN. Brawl is the best game EVER in the making, period.

GameTrailers, like every other reviewers, have become n00bs since 2007. I lost faith in them way back when they didn't dock Halo 3 points for a unoriginal battle system, and docking Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess for only having thebasics of their respective series' 3D battle systems. Prototype won't sell. Grand Turismo isn't that great, anyways. Sports game nowadays suck; same s*** every year, with the main part (ie: "the hole" in Madden and NBA games) glitched up and crap; unless they are Fight Nights.

So ya, Grand Turismo is overrated as crap. I got 4, and I realized, racing games are boring. Prototype will be Assassin's Creed, but with the lag factor. Grand Theft Auto 4 is said to suck, and probably will be rushed as hell. And the battle system for Grand Theft Auto is hardly that good to begin with, and is the most overrated franchise EVER, BY FAR! It seems to be falling apart, as time goes on. DMC4 looks great, but not LEGENDARY. MGS4 and RE5 looks legendary, but not "the best game ever" legendary. Grand Turismo isn't even that good. Neither is Ninja Gaiden. The NES ones were kinda good, and the newer ones are okay, but their actually challenging difficulty is why the series is [still] considered good. StarCraft 2 probably will be great, but nothing big next to Brawl, South Korea aside. Fallout 3 will be underrated, but still won't be as good as Brawl. Final Fantasy XIII will last a month at best, and won't be reviewed anywhere as good as Brawl. Little Big Planet looks too...IDK n00bish to me.

All in all, SSBB is the 2008 Game of The Year, hands down, as well as the most anticipated. Brawl is the best game on that list, saleswise, future reviewise, and from what the fans say. More proof that the gaming media is becoming more like the normal media: n00b-ruled, and full of corruption. Soon they'll all turn communist. And then, they'll all go to thedark side...I mean, favoring the PS3 above all. O wait, they already do! :laugh:
This entire post screamed of rabid fanboysim, please don't take games seriously. Its ironic you say playstation fans are worse then nintendo fans, considering your pretty bad yourself.

I couldn't even get past the second paragraph. Talking about sales as if that even matters, and saying -
Even MGS4 pisses it's pants in fear of Brawl.
No actually, it doesn't. The two games are not exactly in the same category, their not competing with one another at all. Most sane gamers look forward to playing both.

Brawl is better then all those games combined, PERIOD!
*chokes

:psycho:

This is a prime example that Nintendo fanboys can be just as ignorant as Microsoft fanboys and Sony fanboys. Saying Little Big Planet looks too "n00bish" is true Nintendo fanboy ignorance. Just because a game is released under a Sony system does not make it bad. With LBP, Home, and MGS4, the Playstation 3 is actually becoming a system worth buying. Crazy, huh?

Plus, Ninja Gaiden is an amazing game and the sequel looks insane. The same could be said for Starcraft.

There is no denying the greatness of Brawl. But learn to expand your horizons.

Oh, and saying Grand Theft Auto sucks nowadays is laughable. Obviously, you haven't played GTA in the last five years or so.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I think Starcraft deserves that #1.
w/ RE5 at 2, and Brawl at 3.
But after the leak, Brawl lost anticipation because it was like it was already out.
I'm over it.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna know if any of these other games got thousands of favorites on Youtube within hours of being posted. %D

At least Brawl made it.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Only two on that list I am really interested in are Starcraft 2 and Brawl.
Ironically, thats the exact same as me. Though I actually hadn't heard of the new Starcraft game until seeing this, but I liked the N64 port of the original enough to be very interested in this new one already.

Personally, Brawl is the single most anticipated game for me ever. No other game has gotten me to follow it as near-religiously as I have with Brawl for the past six months. I doubt any other game ever will after Brawl, either, at least unless a fourth SSB is made and another site like the Dojo does daily updates on it again.

Zevox

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is a prime example that Nintendo fanboys can be just as ignorant as Microsoft fanboys and Sony fanboys. Saying Little Big Planet looks too "n00bish" is true Nintendo fanboy ignorance. Just because a game is released under a Sony system does not make it bad. With LBP, Home, and MGS4, the Playstation 3 is actually becoming a system worth buying. Crazy, huh?

Plus, Ninja Gaiden is an amazing game and the sequel looks insane. The same could be said for Starcraft.

There is no denying the greatness of Brawl. But learn to expand your horizons.

Oh, and saying Grand Theft Auto sucks nowadays is laughable. Obviously, you haven't played GTA in the last five years or so.
I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, or fanboy AT ALL moron, I'm a mother f***ing gamer. IDC who makes what games, but Brawl is the best, by far. I play the best games, regardless of system, or company. I get what gaming consoels and handhelds I honestly think are the best. Stop assuming like a moron I'm a faboy, genius, because I'm not. Way to fail like Wolf's Landmaster through the center of Yoshi's Island!

:laugh:

Little Big Planet is aimed at light gamers. I'm a dedicated gamer [consisting both competitve and casual gamers=gamers who've gamed for a long time]. It doesn't appeal to me. Are you saying I hate Sony systems? Because I have flat out said a thousand times the PS2 is better then the hardly good Gamecube. If it wasn't for smash, Metroid, Mario, and Wind Waker, the Gamecube would be a complete failure. The PS3, on the other hand, is pretty much a Gamecube 2.0.

Worth buying? The 360 still wipes the PS3 out of the water. The Home thing is stupid. Little Big Planet looks intresting, but it doesn't look that fun in the long run. MGS4 will be amazing. The 360 still has the most good games. I don't even need to name names. The 360 has the most good games out of any 7th generation of gaming console. The only "real" good PS3 exlcusive games by the end of this year will be Resistance: FOM 1 and 2, MGS4 (I'm pretty sure it'll port to the 360 sometime, like MGS2, or it won't sell), Little Big Planet, and WarHawk. Final Fantasy XIII will come out in 2009, so don't get on my a**.

I don't doubt most these games are good, but they are no match for Brawl. Saleswise, Brawl will be in league, if not above Halo 3. Grand Theft Auto isn't that impressive. It lasted me 30 hours, and kinda got boring. It's nothing special, in all reality, outside of the amazing sized world, and number of NPCs (though you run into the same face wayyyy too often). GTA is too basic, with nothing advanaced, really. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's laughably overrated. The Grand Theft Auto series has outsold Zelda. If you're willing to tell me GTA is better then Zelda, you aren't a true gamer, PERIOD. Ninja Gaiden is a combo ninja game. It's nice, but it has limited appeal to really hardcore-ish gamers. It won't last long, either. StarCraft will sell good in Korea. It'll sell good here, too! :laugh:

Seriously though, Brawl will be the best. No, Brawl is the best. More features, more characters, more ways to play, more modes, more extras, more music [it has more songs then all the other games on that list, COMBINED; and all the songs are EPIC!], and will sell more. It's the best game on that list, PERIOD!

O, and people with the "first" "real" Brawl videos are still getting the "number one most viewed channels" on youtube, by a HUGE MARGIN! The first E for All, and Brawl Japanese Brawl videos made Youtube revolve around Brawl. For three weeks, in the "Videos being watched" thing on youtube, over 80% of the videos I saw were Brawl. Not politics. Not comedy. Not any other game. Not technology. Not fashion. Not "how to's". BRAWL, mother f***ers! Brawl will sell 10 million units at least. None of these will even TOUCH BRAWL'S SALES!

Brawl is the best game of 2008, period. Saying otherwise is laughable.

And GameTrailers flat out said it's what game they think will be the best at a part. They put Brawl at number 10. Last I checked, it still has hype. Why are we here, anyways? EXACTLY! Brawl is hyped as crap, post it's realease, and everything.

Like I said, the Gaming Media is like the normal [political] media. Run by a bunch of god d*** commies. Famitsu [it's blastphomey thinking that KHII is better then Twilight Princess], Nintendo Power [they give good games (the first gen Pokémon games) bad reviews, bad games good reviews, and good games good reviews. WTF?), GameSpot (f***ing stupid), GamePro (just stupid), and now GameTrailers. There is no trusted Gaming Media Review Source NOW! Welcome to reality.

Out of every single line of your wall of text, I choose to reply to this one.

Ninja Gaiden is a combo ninja game. It's nice, but it has limited appeal to really hardcore-ish gamers.
Ninja Gaiden is probably one of the hardest games made since the SNES days.

Saying that it doesn't appeal to hardcore gamers isn't exactly true.

Have you ever played Ninja Gaiden Black? Don't try. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I am not joking. I returned the game after a day. I didn't have the time or the energy to beat it.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is supposed to be harder.

Think about it.

ElementSun

Smash Cadet
How do you judge a game by anticipation? Is it with popularity? The overall general consensus of the masses?

Tell me. How many times did this website crash when SSBB was released in Japan?

Does GT even keep up with the forums?

When SSBB was released in Japan, the "SSBB Japan Spoilers Thread" filled up to 5000 posts in the time span of 2 days.

Pictures they posted ran out of bandwidth in only a few hours, because so many people on the internet were downloading them.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Whats so great about Spore may I ask? *Hides behind kinetic barrier*

But truthfully at the moment, I'm not all anxious about anything, I just focus on the day after today and so on. Do whatever I can in the immediate future and keep my mind off of it. I may be on these boards but its not like I'm flipping out over it... Great gaming year I tell ya..

-Onyx

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
****, Starcraft...

N/M

How the hell could I forget that...

Top Bottom