• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameStop Tourney: The Sequel

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Mine already ended (started at 2pm EST). I lost in the second match thanks to items...(no items in my store last time). The prize is a trophy (this time a karate one, not wrestling), that says "District Demon of Dominance".

Lemme just say that the game has been out for a week, and the tourney is with previous winners. They know what they're doing. If you can't beat a Lv.9 by now, you have no shot.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
"distric demon of dominance"

hahaha...oh my gosh...

I lost too.

Sudden death bomb...

UGH.

I HATE IKE. I NEVER WANT TO VS. ANOTHER IKE EVER AGAIN.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I just got back from mine. I won :) Diddy Kong was my weapon. The trophy is nice, but I was hoping they would give us some store credit at least.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
"distric demon of dominance"

hahaha...oh my gosh...

I lost too.

Sudden death bomb...

UGH.

I HATE IKE. I NEVER WANT TO VS. ANOTHER IKE EVER AGAIN.
Yeah, I lost to Ike, too. I was Pit. I beat 3 Ikes last time, but they were all newbs. :laugh:

Ayrman, they gave me $25 last time, but I think the only prize this time was a trophy.

impulse346

Smash Cadet
I just came back from mine, i made it to the final match i lost to a lucas, i was pit. At my gamestop they gave him the karate trophy and a $50 gift card.

Master Fox

Smash Journeyman
…I did terrible…I was very disappointed with my performance.
My brother even noticed I was sucking so bad after the tournament cause I was losing matches against him, and he never beats me!
I'm just really pissed I did so bad.

I hate Sheik, I hate the Ice Climbers and I hate the Ice Climber level!

I should of picked Link, Pit or Samus…
…not Sheik…

…stupid move on my part actually in choosing Sheik! Heh heh!

rove

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching those youtube videos of some of the gamestop tourneys...
I so could have gotten far in the tourneys.
But no, there just had to be no tourny near me...

rove

Smash Apprentice
…I did terrible…I was very disappointed with my performance.
My brother even noticed I was sucking so bad after the tournament cause I was losing matches against him, and he never beats me!
I'm just really pissed I did so bad.

I hate Sheik, I hate the Ice Climbers and I hate the Ice Climber level!

I should of picked Link, Pit or Samus…
…not Sheik…

…stupid move on my part actually in choosing Sheik! Heh heh!
Lol don't beat yourself over it man...
Just remember its just a game.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
My match is on Tuesday. We have to use the Wiichuck settings. I can't really get a handle on it.. But wish me luck. xD

Arshen

Smash Cadet
Everyone except 5 people (including myself[Fox], and my buddy[IC]) were n00bs at our district finals..
Seriously. Alot of them kept cowering until the match was over.
But n our matches, after we both got everyone down to 1 life each, They said, aloud, "hey lets team up on Fox/IC or we'll all loose!"
It was so gey...Our ifnals was a Mario VS Mario match that didnt last but...oh...1:30? Maybe even less.
At least a n00b didn't win. That's all I got to say about it...
Some awesome free stuff though. Yay for free Mario Galaxy!

EDIT: We were told the week before district that there would be no Items. But they changed that at the very last second. Did this happen to anyone else?

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Everyone except 5 people (including myself[Fox], and my buddy[IC]) were n00bs at our district finals..
Seriously. Alot of them kept cowering until the match was over.
But n our matches, after we both got everyone down to 1 life each, They said, aloud, "hey lets team up on Fox/IC or we'll all loose!"
It was so gey...Our ifnals was a Mario VS Mario match that didnt last but...oh...1:30? Maybe even less.
At least a n00b didn't win. That's all I got to say about it...
Some awesome free stuff though. Yay for free Mario Galaxy!

EDIT: We were told the week before district that there would be no Items. But they changed that at the very last second. Did this happen to anyone else?
Free Mario Galaxy? And you didn't even get the 1st place $50 gift card? WTF?! And what do you mean ganging up on you; you played FFAs???

WFL

Smash Journeyman
At our first tourney we played timed ffa and it was probably the stupidest way to have a tourney ever. It would've been better to do coin mode.

Coselm

Smash Ace
My gamestop tourney was only smashballs on very high for the second round and I SDed at 30% for the lose... I hate wiimotes.... I don't really care that much but losing against people that I am way better than makes me mad.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
I won the first round but didn't bother going to the 2nd round... I mean I know I would lose, I can't use the Wiimote and Nunchuck for my life. :(

xler

Smash Rookie
I won the first round but didn't bother going to the 2nd round... I mean I know I would lose, I can't use the Wiimote and Nunchuck for my life. :(
You could have learned to though. I started practicing with the wiimote/nunchuck on thursday, sucked all day. Then by friday I definitely had no problem with it for the most part.

Only 9 people showed up to my round 2. I won it as Zelda.

Parallax

Smash Cadet
Only 9 people showed up to my round 2. I won it as Zelda.
9 people is alot compared to mine; there were 4 ****ing people there! But it was better for me I guess; less rounds until I won. I got that District Dominance Trophy- it's so irrelevant to Brawl, couldn't they try a bit harder?

And what's the deal with regionals; there's 26 gamestops doing regionals in the US, but they announce that there will be only 8 semi-finalists. WTF?

NDUDE

Smash Ace
9 people is alot compared to mine; there were 4 ****ing people there! But it was better for me I guess; less rounds until I won. I got that District Dominance Trophy- it's so irrelevant to Brawl, couldn't they try a bit harder?

And what's the deal with regionals; there's 26 gamestops doing regionals in the US, but they announce that there will be only 8 semi-finalists. WTF?
There were originally supposed to be 16 for mine, but 13 showed up.

Also, I don't get that 8 semifinalist thing either...Will they have extra preliminary matches right before finals or what?

Parallax

Smash Cadet
There were originally supposed to be 16 for mine, but 13 showed up.

Also, I don't get that 8 semifinalist thing either...Will they have extra preliminary matches right before finals or what?
Yeah but then they'd have to fly approximately 18 extra contestants to San Jose, California- I don't think that was planned in their budget. But I hope however it is is figured out because I'd be pissed the **** off if I won third round and lost in some unexpected 3 1/2 round.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Why is Ken even in this...This isn't even a real tourney. Besides, doesn't he have enough money from real tourneys?
I agree that this feels kinda unfair, but it's the nature of the beast.

It's like when the MLG players play in Halo 3 tournaments and then brag about how great they are. If I played SSBB for a living, I'm sure I'd be able to clean house as well. I've never seen or heard anything from Ken, but I'd hope that he's humble, to say the least.

I won round 2 with the 5 people who showed up (there were supposed to be 12 or something...). I'm sure that I'll run into some crazy tourney freaks in round 3 who will absolutely mop the floor with me but oh well. I have two jobs and I can't live, breathe and eat Brawl like some can afford to. Tournaments just aren't meant for folks like me, I suppose.

I found the answer to this, on GS's official site:

The top eight (8) scoring District Winners will be declared the Semifinalists for that region and will have the opportunity to compete in Round 4 of the Contest.
If it's entirely by KOs, then luck will weigh into this more than anything.

If I go to my regionals and get a character with a solid killing final smash, then I have a much better chance than if I get a character that can't kill well at all with their final smash but just does damage. It'll also be better to get a character better at KOing in general, and then there's item luck which will also play a HUGE role, with ATs ranging from "guaranteed KO" to "MOVE, you stupid f*cking dog!!!!!"

Also, if one player comes up against a bunch of terrible players, they can get tons of KOs while an area that has lots of skilled smashers will actually come out with a winner who has fewer KOs overall, meaning that the 8 semi-finalists might not be the best in the country but the best of their area.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I won in round one, turned down the trophy (lol), and I had real life commitments so I skipped the round two. It's not like I would have been able to to go to round three, either...

Kudos to those who won, keep on chuggin' to the nationals.

Parallax

Smash Cadet
Also, if one player comes up against a bunch of terrible players, they can get tons of KOs while an area that has lots of skilled smashers will actually come out with a winner who has fewer KOs overall, meaning that the 8 semi-finalists might not be the best in the country but the best of their area.
These are my exact thoughts and is why I am hoping to everything this is not what they implied in terms of scoring. Imagine winning your regionals only to find out you are not a semi finalist because you didn't KO your opponent enough. Although this tournament is over 50% chance anyway (from random characters and use of items), this method of elimination is beyond ******** and proves no skill.

EDIT: I hope Ken's final opponent rolls around all over the place to avoiding dying, then he get's his semi finalist spot bumped by some 12 year old in the next state over who won by accident.

Arshen

Smash Cadet
Free Mario Galaxy? And you didn't even get the 1st place $50 gift card? WTF?! And what do you mean ganging up on you; you played FFAs???
Yeah they basically were throwing them into the audience and I yelled "If I show you a nerdy tattoo will I get something?!" showed them one of those temp tattoo of the bird symbol on this shield: ( http://i.neoseeker.com/fa/shield_59301_1qPZZ_thumb.jpg ) from the Zelda card pack and he threw me a Galaxy.

But yeah we played Stock FFAs, all Items On, random stage. 4 different Wiis, 4 games, and I swear one of them was a EforAll demo or something cause it had the entire starting roster with just Sonic.

Like I said, we both got ganged up on us. But the first place for us was 100 dollar gift card. We proved ourselves today though. 2 of the top 10 guys were at the GameStop today and we owned their ***** 5:1 lives each.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
I won my second round tourny with Dedede items were on random stage. I almost got gimped when a fox got a hammer, and 2 final smashes in the same match (multiple jumps kick so much butt). I won a 50 dollar gift card and the district trophy.

On a side note Parallax did they tell you to go to Rockaway for round 3? If so see you there

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Ken isnt rich, i saw his wallet at round 1 when he was pulling his preorder out. soo messy, he had a few bucks and like around 80 paper tabs with notes on them. kinda odd.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
EDIT: I hope Ken's final opponent rolls around all over the place to avoiding dying, then he get's his semi finalist spot bumped by some 12 year old in the next state over who won by accident.
The odd thing is that, if Ken is in an area with skilled, tourny-worthy players, it's possible that he could come up against a bunch of opponents who lose but don't give up many KOs.

Meanwhile, the scenario you suggested where a bunch of clueless players could be beaten to a pulp by a decent player who earns 7-10 KOs per round is plausible.

Also, a spiteful player who understands the rules of round 3 and knows they have no chance at winning might just repeatedly run their character off the ledge immediately upon respawn so that their opponent will get no KOs from them.

It's an unlikely scenario, but if faced with a far superior opponent, a lot of players would probably do exactly what I described as it kinda denotes "revenge".

I still assume Ken will make it in. If he's as poor as described, he could probably use the money more than me (though I won't lie: I could use it, too).

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
My friend won Round 2 in La Jolla. Pretty excited to see him go to Los Angeles :]

Parallax

Smash Cadet
On a side note Parallax did they tell you to go to Rockaway for round 3? If so see you there

[I didn't want any of my opponents for the regionals to be people that actually do research on the game.]

Top Bottom