• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop not selling Gamecube adapter and controllers separately

Colonel Kurtz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ColonelKurtz19
3DS FC
1091-8043-0363
Well I am not at "MY" gamestop. I am out of town in chicago. The gamestop I went to witg a buddy said that they did not get them but they would have them in the morning. Luckily, they had one bundle left. My buddy grabbed that gonna stop by tomorrow to pick up my separate adapter and controller.

But I am not holding my breath. I hope so I am having a smash party next weekend and amazon/best buy etc. Are all "currently unavailable". Mine were paid for etc. But my buddys gonna let me borrow his and just keep mine when they come in since I dont live here or come here all that often so I luck out either way.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Yeah I've had my GC adapter and a Samus Amiibo pre-ordered from Gamestop's website for a while, but they sill haven't shipped yet.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Well this is worrying.
*Goes to Wal-Mart lol because why not*

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Getting freshened up, so I can go to best buy in 3 hours to get my adapter.

MaxTheDawg

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaxTheDawg
3DS FC
2938-6945-5553
Today i bought the game and controller at Walmart ( since i have a discount card) but they didn't have any adapters. So I drove to EBgames they didn't have any either. Then I went to toys r us and they had a few. The girl at the counter said they only got like 1 box of 5 or something lol.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Yeah, never thought I'd see the day where a Wii U game was sold out. Got my game and amiibo, but I still can't find any adapters.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
My gamestop said they were sold out before they even dropped the november 21st date which is BS. I had to go to walmart(which I hate and the people that go there) to pay a gas bill. They had 2 copies of smash Wii U behind the counter but no adapter. Best buy shows the adapter to be sold seperately and in stock at most locations. Gamestop and walmart are the devil.

Zippy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-7264-1156
Luckily I had the bundle pre-ordered from Gamestop, so I got my GC Adapter & a Smash controller at midnight last night. However, that's my only working GC controller at the moment, so I asked for another one when I picked up my game, he said he had no Smash GC Controllers to sell separately and would only give me the crap Gamestop ones (which I wouldn't take). No separate adapters either, lots of people were butthurt at release.

I kept drilling him about it, and his claim was that Nintendo short-shipped everybody on this. He couldn't even give me an estimate as to when they'd be in stock again.

Last edited:

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
My gamestop said they were sold out before they even dropped the november 21st date which is BS. I had to go to walmart(which I hate and the people that go there) to pay a gas bill. They had 2 copies of smash Wii U behind the counter but no adapter. Best buy shows the adapter to be sold seperately and in stock at most locations. Gamestop and walmart are the devil.
I'm assuming you hate Walmart by some moral stance you are taking. You're kidding yourself if you think shopping at Best Buy instead is "helping the cause."

noticus

Smash Cadet
ordered an adaptor from amazon a week and a half ago
got a message this morning saying it should be here by december 19th
i just
don't sell things if you don't have them

Aldri

Smash Cadet
How much is the typical price for the adaptors? I'm seeing suspiciously high prices online.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
When i went into gamestop and had the guys try to "pitch" smash4 to me, they told me there will be characters exclusive to the wii u.

Obviously gamestop employees aren't reputable sources of information.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
I called Gamestop this morning asking if they had them in. They said they didn't have adapters yet and were sold out of Smash controllers, but to call back around 1PM and they'd get a shipment in that might have them. I called back around 12:15 and they had them in. I asked if they would hold it for me, they said they couldn't do that, I said I'd be up in 5 minutes. I got there and they only had TWO adapters. I got one, and the guy in line behind me got one. They had only a few controllers, too, from what I saw, but I got one of those as well. Lucky lucky day.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
The Gamestop I went to (Santa Monica CA) said some nonsense about the adapter shipment not just for them, but EVERY retailer in the US being stuck at US customs because of some sort of insect problem or something along those lines. lol Never heard anything like it.

Gamestop. Power to the Insects

Last edited:

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
ordered an adaptor from amazon a week and a half ago
got a message this morning saying it should be here by december 19th
i just
don't sell things if you don't have them
this just happened to me as well

Utaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Its_a_me_Mario
3DS FC
2423-2518-7011
I to had to order all my separately, but I did get everything at midnight. It is wierd that some gamestops didn't either get them, or not know what they are...

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Well this thing is sold out everywhere, which I guess is no surprise. In other news I hate the Pro Controller.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Well this thing is sold out everywhere, which I guess is no surprise. In other news I hate the Pro Controller.
I got the digital version of Smash U and didn't go get my adapter/controller till today, but last night I was stuck with gamepad, classic pro controller, and 3DS. I actually found the gamepad to be the most comfortable of the three. I don't have a Pro Controller, but the second analog stick seems poorly placed. The one on the gamepad, however, is placed a bit better. Just a suggestion until you get an adapter?

edit: I just double checked and it looks like the analogs are pretty much placed the same, but the way the gamepad is held I think makes it maybe a bit more comfortable. Not sure... ah well. :[

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I got the digital version of Smash U and didn't go get my adapter/controller till today, but last night I was stuck with gamepad, classic pro controller, and 3DS. I actually found the gamepad to be the most comfortable of the three. I don't have a Pro Controller, but the second analog stick seems poorly placed. The one on the gamepad, however, is placed a bit better. Just a suggestion until you get an adapter?

edit: I just double checked and it looks like the analogs are pretty much placed the same, but the way the gamepad is held I think makes it maybe a bit more comfortable. Not sure... ah well. :[
No, you could be right. Thanks for the suggestion. Although the the GamePad is bulkier and heavier, I've always preferred its shoulder buttons and easier to reach ABXY buttons over the Pro Controller. I'll have to keep it plugged into the wall for extended play sessions but I'll give it a try. But nothing beats that GameCube C-Stick placement. I might even give one of my Classic Controllers a shot even though I'd miss the rumble feature.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Oh, can anyone confirm that the GameCube controllers rumble?

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Story time. When I preordered Brawl at Gamestop, I went up to the midnight launch. Get up there and find out they had canceled the midnight launch due to "inclement weather." Which was because it had snowed two days prior. And there wasn't any more snow since the day before. Whatever. Walmart's parking lot didn't have inclement weather at midnight so I bought from there and canceled my Gamestop preorder after the fact.

So for Smash U I hit up Gamestop again because I had credit there to use. I call at 7pm to 1) make sure they didn't cancel the midnight launch and 2) make sure everything for their orders came in. They told me the launch was good and everything came in. I get up there for the midnight launch and finalize my order. The cashier doesn't elect to volunteer any information to me, but I noticed on the receipt the Gamecube adapter wasn't listed. So I had to ask. And she tells me that they didn't come in. She also tried to sell me an Amiibo after not telling me that part of my order was not available.

That's the kind of thing that irritates me. I don't live in the same town as Gamestop. I called in advance. They didn't volunteer the information at the counter. Had I known they wouldn't have it, I'd have just stayed in bed. So now I have to make two out of town trips instead of just one. I try not to stop at Gamestop, but I had credit there I wanted to unload from one of their trade-in promotions. Meh.
Yeah, If I had preordered it, I'd be in the same boat as you. Gamestop is terribly managed in the fact that no vital information on anything is given out on the websites, and the peons working in the stores don't know anything. I went to trade in a bunch of games a few fridays ago to buy my friend a 2DS and Smash. Ended up trading in 103 for it. But it wasnt until I was in store that I could learn that A. they don't take duplicate games (I had two copies of heart gold that my sister got for christmas and never played) B. They don't take PSP games anymore (for whatever reason, even though they are still selling them at that location and I checked on their website prior..) and C. If you trade in a DS/DSi, you must have the charger and stylus with it. Why? I don't know. But I would have had enough to get my sister a copy of Smash as well had they taken the rest of my stuff that they don't tell you you can't bring in.
Incase you are wondering, we ended up getting him Smash, he had brought 100 bucks to put towards it, and after my pre-orders, he ended up paying ~70 bucks. I started teaching him how to play competitively, and now he's pretty good. I'm satisfied with the purchase.

D

Deleted member

Figures GameStop would pull something like this. I tried to preorder the adapter, (because GameStop was the only place accepting preorders at the time) I call the store and they say that they are accepting preorders, and then I show up and they're like "no, sorry lol." I was able to get one, but seriously, someone needs to give GameStop a nice, long lesson in customer service.

gamecrazy94

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamecrazy94
3DS FC
2320-6128-1064
Went through the same thing. Got Smash Wii U, had no adapters at all, but they did have a bunch of things: a bunch of bundles... of joy... yay... :/

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
This entire thread pretty much sums up why I don't pre-order anything, or even buy things close to launch, especially from gamestop. I rarely make exceptions.

Last edited:

Colonel Kurtz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ColonelKurtz19
3DS FC
1091-8043-0363
Gamestop had them in today like they said. Picked up my preordered ones seems like a regional difference.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
My gamestop had them it's just they were sold out already.

Rawkuz

Smash Cadet
My Gamestop had the adapter and bundles, but i was unable to get it from there because we didnt preorder it... so i traveled to 2 different gamestops a best buy, a walmart with no luck at either of those spots. Luckily the local Fry's had one in stock.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Well, I pre-ordered my Super Smash Bros Wii U in March... So I went to pay for it all today (In Norway it comes out 28th), and the guy asked me if I had pre-ordered with the adapters. I said no... He asked if I wanted to change my order to also get the adapters. I then asked how much more it would cost, only "100 kroner"(Norwegian Currency, NOT DOLLARS) That's NOTHING. So Yeah, I did.... But I never heard anything of a GameCube Controller... I didn't even get the question, so I get the game, the adapter, and not the Controller, or should I be surprised? Hmm... I'm just excited for it all. But getting the game and adapter. Not any news on the controller.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
It was sold out for me, but I was about to buy a Pro controller for $50, but then the employee at my gamestop recommended the Nintendo Fight pad for around $25. It's a Nintendo Wii Pro Controller that is a GameCube controller. It doesn't have the exact feel of one, but it comes really close and is way better than the Pro controller. I would recommend getting that for those who don't have the GameCube adapter. When I do get the GC adapter, it will be an extra controller for 8 Player Smash too. So it's a great deal, pretty cheap, and it works pretty well. So I would get it!
image.jpg

Last edited:

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Has anyone got their gamecube adapter in the mail yet? I ordered a Samus amiibo, and a GCN adapter off of Gamestop.com MONTHS ago, and it still says they haven't shipped yet. Any ideas? When should I call customer support? Should I wait a couple more days?

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Has anyone got their gamecube adapter in the mail yet? I ordered a Samus amiibo, and a GCN adapter off of Gamestop.com MONTHS ago, and it still says they haven't shipped yet. Any ideas? When should I call customer support? Should I wait a couple more days?
That is why I never do online pre-orders but I understand if you live in locations where its not reasonable to physically buy what you need/want. I am just glad that in the philadelphia area most gamers do go to best buy to reserve/buy video games and that is how I was able to get my GC Adapter.

It was sold out for me, but I was about to buy a Pro controller for $50, but then the employee at my gamestop recommended the Nintendo Fight pad for around $25. It's a Nintendo Wii Pro Controller that is a GameCube controller. It doesn't have the exact feel of one, but it comes really close and is way better than the Pro controller. I would recommend getting that for those who don't have the GameCube adapter. When I do get the GC adapter, it will be an extra controller for 8 Player Smash too. So it's a great deal, pretty cheap, and it works pretty well. So I would get it!
View attachment 30565
That tried to sell me that crap, I turned it down I don't like the feel of them. If you can't get a GC but if that is the only option for anyone that needs their GC fix then go for it.

Last edited:

Sam32313

Smash Rookie
I would try Best Buy, noone had the adapters in my area either except them. They were not on the shelf though, they were behind Best Buy's customer service counter. I didn't have them pre-ordered either.

And 8 - player smash was awesome :falconmelee:.

ffadicted

Smash Rookie
I had to settle for the pro controller cuz they were all out at gamestop and best buy... hiiing!
I want my cubey back ;-;

Top Bottom