• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop allows more preorders than actual amount of copies they receive?

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I was convinced that my GameStop would hold my copy of Brawl until the 2 day time limit runs out, but a friend told me that GameStop makes all their money from taking more preorders than the number of copies they actually receive. I don't really believe him, but there's a chance that I might not be able to make the midnight release.

Valgarus

Smash Rookie
InsaneMonkey is right, if you put money down, its illegal not to fulfill.

Ichida

Smash Ace
SmashBoards, behold the reason to preorder MONTHS IN ADVANCE.

Also, take any resonable measures to show up to the store early. Bring a portable, a friend, some food, something. If they really are taking too many pre-orders, you will want to be one of the ones who gets their copy.

Frames

DI
It makes sense; after all, gamestop is a business like no other and they've got stats to make and quotas to fill. Big software publishers are always pushing stores to get preorders, no matter what the cost may be.

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
They need to hold it for at LEAST 2 days. If you get there within 2 days of the release and they don't have it.. well..

let's start a riot.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
No, I seriously doubt it because my friend tried to switch his preorder from the Gamecrazy at home to the Gamestop up here last week so I could get it on the midnight release, but they wouldn't accept the preoder. Obviously they had reached their limit already.

Zek

Smash Ace
GameStop makes its money ordering exactly as many copies as they have pre-orders, effectively forcing people to provide a down payment for the game if they want it near release. It's not quite as sinister as your friend's theory. It's very possible that they can't meet everyone's pre-order, but that would be because of supply shortages and not some master plan of theirs.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
yeah I suggest going in first thing in the morning on the 9th. they did that to one of the games i preordered and didnt pick up the first day
Well...
I suggest going to the midnight release.
There's also a tourney at around 11 so get there at 9-10 and you'll be fine.
Otherwise go in the very morning.

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
When i went to make a payment torwards my Brawl reservation today I asked the cashier about this and he said that they stop taking pre-orders at a certain point, then how ever pre-orders they had, they order that much, plus a few more for walk-ins.
Pretty much if you reserved the game, you're guaranteed to get it.

Ampleforth

Smash Cadet
About a week before the release date, Gamestops report how many reserves they have, and they get shipped more copies to cover the reservations, last-minute reservations, and walk-ins.

If you reserved over a week in advance you should be fine.

_NeXuS_

Smash Cadet
you should be fine... however i would be more worried about the expected shortages than gamestop actually over accepting preorders. i think nintendo said awhile back that shortages would be likely...maybe that just pertains to walk-in customers who didn't preorder though. be glad you did.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I went to Gamestop yesterday to finish payment on the game, even though it comes out next Sunday. I did this in hopes of ensuring I get a copy as soon as possible.

Hopefully it helps that I pre-ordered right after the Pokemon tournament.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
My Gamestop said as long as you preordered you are guaranteed a copy.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
One of my Gamestops said that they had 200 pre orders already. No way they're going to have 200 copies.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
This is how it works.

Gamestop guesses the approximate number of copies of a game their locations will get. The further ouy from the release date there are, the more of an approximation this number is. The closer they get, the more of an idea they have.

Not every location will receive the same number of copies. Most of the time, the number of copies received depends on the number of preorders, plus, some excess.

With some exceedingly popular games such as Halo or Smash, no matter how many copies are sent, the odds are that it will still sell out, so what Gamestop does is hold every copy they receive for up to two days for those people who preordered. Filling those is priority one.

If you don't happen to get yours within those two days, you don't lose your money. When you go pick it up, you tell the employee you preordered it, and that money you put down still goes towards the purchase price.

It's not illegal to not fill a preorder on launch day if you don't have enough copies to go around. It's illegal to keep the money though if you don't pick it up right away. The money you put down on a game is still YOUR money.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Well I'm pretty much assured a copy.
-Pre-Ordered about a year ago.
-Pre-Ordered with about 15 Dollars.
-I live in the 3rd largest school district in America, and I'm the only real smasher around here.

Vollo

Smash Rookie
This is how it works.

Gamestop guesses the approximate number of copies of a game their locations will get. The further ouy from the release date there are, the more of an approximation this number is. The closer they get, the more of an idea they have.

Not every location will receive the same number of copies. Most of the time, the number of copies received depends on the number of preorders, plus, some excess.

With some exceedingly popular games such as Halo or Smash, no matter how many copies are sent, the odds are that it will still sell out, so what Gamestop does is hold every copy they receive for up to two days for those people who preordered. Filling those is priority one.

If you don't happen to get yours within those two days, you don't lose your money. When you go pick it up, you tell the employee you preordered it, and that money you put down still goes towards the purchase price.

It's not illegal to not fill a preorder on launch day if you don't have enough copies to go around. It's illegal to keep the money though if you don't pick it up right away. The money you put down on a game is still YOUR money.
this person is correct. also sounds like a law student

entrapment

Smash Apprentice
Legally...they can take as much pre-orders as they want 2 days before the shipping date. The Trick is if they can't fulfill...they will "attempt" to get in contact through the means that where given to them. If you fail to obtain their message they legally don't have to give you your copy of the game in those days you pre-ordered it. So ya they ususally good about pre-orders but big games they tend to warn you to come early.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
One of my Gamestops said that they had 200 pre orders already. No way they're going to have 200 copies.
One near my house had like 415 pre-orders already. Store's never stop doing pre-orders, they will keep taking everyone's $5, even if they only receive half the amount of actualy copies of brawl. They don't care about you, they just want your money.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
InsaneMonkey is right, if you put money down, its illegal not to fulfill.
gamestop can put you on lower priority if all you do is put $5 down instead of paying for the game in full ahead of time. i think that was the case when the next-gen systems were first being launched...

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Glad I payed mine in full last week.

This can happen, though. It's quiet common with big launch titles.
I did the same last week as well, in addition to picking up two brand new first party Gamecube controllers :D I finished my payment mostly because I was afraid of losing my $50 gift card before Sunday came around.

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
I payed my game in whole like 5 months ago and am planning to show up at like 10 (and as of yesterday my gamestop said they had 150 copies pre-ordered)

should I be ok or should i show up earlier?

nelohalo

Smash Rookie
Just to clarify, will the game be launching midnight on Saturday, or midnight on Sunday?

And will places like wal-mart and target be running midnight launches?

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
The only reason any Gamstop wouldn't have enough copies to fulfill preorders is if there were some kind of shipping error. In fact, they will likely have many more copies than what have been pre-ordered, and even more on top of that because a good amount of people will not pick up their preordered copies within the first two days, at which point they are available to the public.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
A few points of clarification:

1. It's not "illegal" for them not to fulfill a preorder. That's just plain silly.

2. Paying for the game in full does not prioritize your copy. It's not as though there are people getting the game for $5. They give it to whoever is there first, regardless of whether or not they paid that day or twenty months ago.

3. It's simply good business. There will be plenty of dip****s who don't bother to pick up the game within the first few days.

S2

Smash Lord
Gamestop legally only has to provide you with a game eventually. If you preorder, they are not required to get you the game on day 1, as long as you're on their waiting list for further shipments.

That being said, the store policy is to gurantee all preorders within 48 hours of them getting it. Stores are not supposed to order more than they can fullfill.

I've never had a problem concerning a preordered game at GS. I've been buying Preorders for over a decade at EB/GS.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i work there and its true we have 300+ preorders and about 160 copies for the midnight release. but were getting more the next day so it doesnt really matter too much unless everyone comes to get it at midnight.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Gamestop legally only has to provide you with a game eventually. If you preorder, they are not required to get you the game on day 1, as long as you're on their waiting list for further shipments..
Legality =/= Store policy. The most you could get out of this is a free game or something for the store evading policy. You couldn't take this to civil court and hope to win.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
I wont be in town on the Sunday, so i was hoping to get the game on Monday.

I only put down $20..but now I'm worried that I won't have a copy for Monday.

Say it isn't so!

beige

Smash Rookie
Yeah man, I called my gamestop just to make sure I'll get a copy if I have a pre-order and they said if you have a pre-order, they'll have a copy for you.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
1. It's not illegal to not fulfill a reserve. You can just cancel the reserve and ask for your money back though. I remember with Gears of War, their shipment was accidently shipped to some other state so they didn't have the game for days. I just canceled my reserve and bought the game at Best Buy on launch day.

2. If you are worried, just go and buy the game either midnight or early launch morning. Unlike video game systems, I'm pretty sure they just give you the game if you have a reserve and they have a copy no matter what reserve number you have.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
They can't do that but they could even if its illegal sometimes they screw people up but I really doubt that happening

Top Bottom