• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Games With The Best Cutscenes

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/threads/games-with-the-worst-cutscenes.387282/ Exact opposite thread

What games have you played that just have really, really good cutscenes? It doesn't just mean the story, but that can apply too!

Kirby Super Star Ultra: Although the story was simple, the cutscenes were epic! Also one of the best games ever anyways so...
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Subspace has a story that was kind of crazy, but it wasn't that bad.. it had awesome cutscenes.
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U: Although not really cutscenes, the character trailers were amazing! I wish nintendo made a movie with those graphics.
Kirby Triple Deluxe: See Kirby Super Star Ultra

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Good cutscenes while story doesn't matter? Hm... The first two that come to mind are Bayonetta and DMC4. The way the action scenes are directed are amazing in those games. There were a lot of parts in Bayonetta 2 that made me impressed.

I also love the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 3. The ending was done beautifully, and it was cool how they made parts interactable.

Also, I have to give a nod to Mario Galaxy's Rosalina story book. It was short, simple, and bittersweet. It packed a lot into something that was small and optional. Made me come back for more after each segment of the story.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Cuz why not?

Let's see here...

The Final Fantasy series in general has always had good Cutscenes.
Blizzard games always have amazing CSs.
A game called Grey Goo that I just finished has really good cutscenes. Hell, I thought they were all live action, or at least live action with motion detect, but they're all CG, even the Humans.
Dawn of War had some awesome scenes as well.

So what about you all? What games have had good CSs in your mind?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Cuz why not?

Let's see here...

The Final Fantasy series in general has always had good Cutscenes.
Blizzard games always have amazing CSs.
A game called Grey Goo that I just finished has really good cutscenes. Hell, I thought they were all live action, or at least live action with motion detect, but they're all CG, even the Humans.
Dawn of War had some awesome scenes as well.

So what about you all? What games have had good CSs in your mind?
I'll be merging it with the existing best cutscenes thread. One was already made.

finalark

SNORLAX
My WoW days are long behind me (well, if you count not playing in two years a"long behind") but hands-down my absolute favorite opening cinematic was the one from the game's fourth expansion pack, Mists of Pandaria.

All previous openings have always tried to be "epic" with bombastic music and villains snarling threats or showing off their power. Not this time. Sure, it starts out grim and heavy but about half way through become simultaneously the single most hilarious thing I've ever seen while also summing up the spirit of Pandaria in only a few minutes. No big bad guys, no world-threatening monstrosities, just three dudes in a fight as the mysterious land of China Pandaria makes itself known.

Plus the cheesy but genuinely optimistic philosophy at the end puts a smile on my face every time.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I still get shivers from some of Pokemon X and Y's cutscenes. They were impressive being one of the first of its kind in the mainstream Pokemon series. I still get shivers when Xerneas is resurrected from the tree.

Also, this may not really count as a cutscene, but I will be dammned if this is not included: Team Fortress 2. Their "Meet the ____" videos, promotional shorts, and of course, their mini movies, like Expiration Date. Watching them is like watching Pixar movies, but with guns and cartoon blood.

Herr Director

Smash Rookie
NNID
Herr_Director
The opening cinematic for Kingdom Hearts 2 springs to mind right away. I also thought the cutscenes in the Arkham series were terrific. Really great use of the voice cast.

I personally have a soft spot for the pre-voice actor Lego movie adaptations, where famous scenes from films would be re-done and carried entirely on the charisma and charm of the character's animations. A few of them, particularly the Star Wars ones, re-cast some iconic moments in a hysterical new light.

Do the closing credits of Majora's Mask qualify? Because that sequence is just delightful.

CArniE

Smash Cadet
NNID
TokioCore
The Ninja Storm series, they have some really cool cut scenes.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Xenoblade Chronicals

I won't go into detail, the game is too good to spoil anything for anyone.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
Parasite Eve, the cut scenes did a fantastic job at showcasing exactly what you were up against and how sinister the antagonist was

Also I don't know if this really counts but I would say the codec conversations in MGS2. For its time the writing was very well done, voice acting fantastic, and the multiple music tracks playing in the background during the conversations made them seem more serious

MorgLikesGames

Smash Rookie
NNID
MorgLikesGames
3DS FC
1891-1668-7887
Nobody mentioned Metal Gear Rising in this thread. I'm rather disturbed.

Come on, the cutscene leading to the final boss is fantastic.

Twewy

Smash Lord
The Legacy of Kain series's cutscenes are great. Most of the credit can be given to the voice actors, who are very skilled actors outside of video games. I'll also agree with Minato on MGS3 having good cutscenes.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Xenogears has a bunch of outright insane ones. "Well, that was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back! *throws ship*". There was that hilariously over-the-top (even for this game!) segment with the Yggdrasil IV, and of course breaking into Merkebah. Elly calming down Id, Billy summoning Renmazuo, Fei's showdown with Wiseman, XG really doesn't pull any punches.

Xenoblade's got several amazing ones too - Especially Prison Island. The Battle of Sword Valley is possibly the best intro to any game I've ever seen. One of the reasons I love Monolith Soft.

Of course, Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 go completely over the top with their cutscenes.

Deus Ex didn't have any that were visually impressive, but the whole conspiracy gambit pileup worked out well for it in terms of story

For all of my other gripes with Skyward Sword, it did have some impressive cutscenes.

Bioshock had a few really good ones, but most "cutscenes" were somewhat integrated with the gameplay. Still, you can't deny the brilliance of Andrew Ryan's death scene.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Dark Souls - When you enter the fog gate in Anor Londo and see the camera panning out to reveal Ornstein and Smough for the first time, your heart stops dead. And the awe-inspiringly savage brutality of the mid-point cutscene is just art in itself.

Hyrule Warriors - Because beautiful, wonderful HD Ganondorf makes everything better. And the CG is just really crisp and clean.

No More Heroes - Where do I even begin? Death Metal's pre-battle chat, Dr Peace's glorious performance, Destroyman's gruesome massacre, the entirety of the lead-up to the (actual real super secret) final battle...sublime.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Beautiful art style, stunning animation. Breathes a whole new sense of life into the story.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - Watching the characters duke it out and engage in casual banter in full CGI is great. Props especially for Pit's magical girl pose and Hades's unforgettable "At least I'm not dead!" gag. So good.

Skullgirls - Totally counting the still cut-in images with text dialogue here. Alex Ahad is a motherloving genius.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Brawl is one of my favorites in terms of cutscenes. Also the Bayonetta series has good ones.

However, even though I didn't like the linearity, Final Fantasy 13 is absolutely gorgeous in terms of the cutscenes.

Top Bottom