• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GamePad Presents Brawl+SF4 tournament! - Fredericksburg, VA 2/21

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva

GamePad, Fredericksburg, VA All Brawl +Street Fighter 4 Tournament! 2/21

GamePad in Fredericksburg, Virginia is holding it's first large scale Brawl Tournament with cash prizes! All are welcome!

Where:
GamePad, in Spotsylvania Towne Centre
3102 Plank Road unit 390
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
From I-95: Take exit 130 (Rt. 3 CULPEPER) in Central Virginia. GamePad is at the back entrance (between Macy's and JC Penney's) of Spotsy Towne Centre located on the left at the 2nd light.

Parking will not be an issue! Thousands of spots!

When:
February 21st (Sat.)

Price:
$10 Venue fee*
$10 Singles (Brawl and SF4)
$20 Per Team (Brawl Only)

Schedule:
- 10:00 AM Spotsy Mall opens, and so will GamePad
- 10:30 AM Registration for all 3 events!*
- 12:00 Brawl Doubles begins!
- 4:00 - 5:00 Brawl Singles begins, depending on Teams' finishing time.
- 7:00 - 8:00 Street Fighter 4 tournament begins!

Payouts:
Payouts will vary based on the number of entrants.

Food Available:
GamePad hosts a plethera of delicious snacks and candy bars priced at $1. Sodas are $1.50, Energy drinks are $2.00.
Spotsylvania Mall has several restaurant options such as Chic-Fil-A, Wendy's, Sbarro Pizza, Great Steak & Potato, and more.

Please bring Wiis, games, and your own controller!

A few items to change/clarify:

* First 7 to bring Wii/SSBB will have venue fee waived and First 7 to bring SF4 for 360 will have $5 venue fee. (half off)

SBR Recommended Ruleset for Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (singles and doubles) apply

Until further notice, SF4 will be double elimination, set of 3, with set of 5 in finals

SF4 will be on 360 only.

Cash Prizes awarded at least through 4th, more if big showing. Consolation prizes as well.

Gamepad Home Page
information on homepage will be updated around 4pm today.
For more information, please call (540)548-4723

info will be updated as deemed nessessary additional info can also be found here.

Housing:as of right now, Kojin (JayBee on Smashboards, KojinSagara on allisbrawl is willing to accept a few people from out of state. He lives in Arlington, VA, which is about an hour and change away from Fredericksburg. He only asks that you allow him a spot in the car on the ride to and from the tournament. contact Kojin via PM to discuss it with him

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
what kind of TV's????

HDTV doesn't necessarily lag

just LCD tvs. LCD = lag no doubt about it, i don't care how much you've played on it/what cables you have LCD Tvs ALWAYS lag.

Projection TVs/Tube TVs don't lag. Projectors typically do not lag either. DLP tv i dunno.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
No, it's the resolution of the TV actually. An LCD with a native resolution of 640x480 would be lag-free for a Wii. But since they always have higher resolution than that, they have to upscale the picture which takes time.

HDTVs, whether LCD or plasma or CRT, will ALWAYS lag, at least a little bit. Projectors also always lag, because they have to process the picture too. That projector at Bmore's house is good but the lag is noticeable when you play on a normal CRT right before or after.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
No, it's the resolution of the TV actually. An LCD with a native resolution of 640x480 would be lag-free for a Wii. But since they always have higher resolution than that, they have to upscale the picture which takes time.

HDTVs, whether LCD or plasma or CRT, will ALWAYS lag, at least a little bit. Projectors also always lag, because they have to process the picture too. That projector at Bmore's house is good but the lag is noticeable when you play on a normal CRT right before or after.
oh wow electronics lesson

good **** now i can say i'm an authority on this lol

didn't know any of this though, seriously. I wonder if that is the native resolution of the LCD tvs at this venue???

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
The TVs we have all have game mode, which basically disables all the extra enhancing the TV does while still giving a great picture... The lag is unnoticeable.

*EDIT: Caesar make a good note, too. Switching different TVs will make you notice the lag, but everyone will be playing on the same TVs. It's not something to worry about.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Even a game mode still has some lag. All a game mode is is an extra chip in the TV that's built to upscale the image faster, but it still has to upscale the picture.

None of this is a big deal for Brawl's slower pace though. I'm sure a game mode TV is fine. Just don't try to play Melee on it.

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
Oh! I forgot to mention that trains run from DC, Crystal City, Alexandria, etc. to Fredericksburg... Which is pretty convenient. And when you get to Fred., a short bus ride, taxi, or car ride will take you to the mall. It's like 3 minutes from the station. I may even be able to give some people rides from the Fred. train station.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
its nothing i havent noticed. the lag or whatever. maybe im used to it...

btw, the train doesnt go to frederickburg on saturday matt. only on weekdays, right?

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Don't worry people. The TV's there work fine, I was iffy about it myself with them being HD and all, but I've been there many of times and played smash. The settings on the TV are set correctly to play well with the Wii. Have no fear. :)

MattyP, you know I will be there, and I will bring some people along as well.

PS.

For anyone that has ever been to C3 events in Ashburn, you know how the setup is there.. not to bash on how they do things but, everyone coming to this event will have equal sized TV's, and the environment is alot more "gaming" friendly. If you want to check out the layout for yourself, visit the Gamepad website at http://www.gamepadva.com

Or4cle

Smash Rookie
GamePad Tourney

:) Can't Wait to play @ this Tourney. GamePad is LEGIT! These guys know what they're doing. I play on a CRT at home and an HDTV 720P viewsonic. Feels the same to me and I've been on brawl like the rest of us since it came out. Unless you are a super human and have super human eyes watching for the frame rate scan on every TV you're not going to notice. When you talk about lag with any TV is not LAG LAG like online. I press a button and the character does it. What else are you looking for in a game? Everyone here will be playing on Native 720p monitors. So no worries. Seriously this comp. is gonna get mad props one way or another when it's complete. Can't wait to see you all there. Just go where the money is & there's money is this tourney.

MattyP

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to try to get my brother from Harrisonburg to come to this. He says he's got some smashers up there who might come.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
C3 last night was fun, and for all of you that attended with me as well, I wanna see you at this event. ;D

SOVAman

Smash Hero
uhhh is this the same day as the upcoming C3 event that gives me a very hard decision because C3 is like 10 minutes away from mi casa

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
We're thinking about moving this back a week because C3 and Gametable are on this same day.
We should run it by the boss on Monday. Cause I'm seeing alot of Feb. 21'st tournaments. We should change it to the 28th ASAP.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
agreed. if u do, malcolm better come so i can take the title of best sonic from him.

lolmoneymatchofsteak

G-reg and chudat: this would the perfect chance to get that 10 bucks i mentioned...
btw, is anyone near me gonna have SF before this?

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
I will....hmm, on one hand, having this the same day of C3 will allow for a higher chance of placing, but being pushed back a week will give me more time to practice SF4.

Well, I don't mind either way.

Top Bottom