• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamepad competitive players?

Jugoken

Smash Cadet
Everyone seems to be dogging the gamepad, yea its big, but its not 'Wii Nunchuck' HORRIBLE.

I think it just takes time getting use too, do you guys think pad players are at a disadvantage?

With time can they overcome that gamecube button speed barrier? if there is any?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I think the bigger problem is that only one gamepad can be paired to a single Wii U at a time (I'm fairly sure). So, since you can't guarantee that both players could use one at once in tourney, I think TOs would have to ban them to be fair.

Last edited:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the gamepad/ Wii u pro. It's not THAT bad. I mean, I had to change my configuration because shielding/grabbing with the two R buttons isn't really comfortable. And I don't know what Nintendo was thinking, but restarting a match with L+R+A+Start is borderline impossible with two hands. I have to use my nose to hit the start button. It just doesn't make sense why they would keep the same restart scheme.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
The gamepad is functionally the same as the Wii U Pro controller, except that your hands are further apart and there's a screen in the middle. The Wii U Pro Controller is objectively no worse than the Game Cube controller, and perhaps even better, thanks to its 4 shoulder buttons.

So it's absolutely ridiculous that people would mock a controller that is competetively as good as or better than the Game Cube controller. The only downside is that it's so hard to input the 'exit match' button sequence, and there can only be one per console. Also, wireless issues could lead to such controllers being banned in larger tournaments.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
How do tournaments deal with gamepads? I am one who still uses the gamepad (probably will switch to a Wii U Pro controller soonish) and have not yet attended a tournament.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
You cannot pair two gamepads for Smash. I have tested this when visiting a friend.

I use the gamepad as of now until I have either a Pro controller or a Gamecube adapter. I like it alot actually! The cstick's placement is better for me because I can quickly use it for Aerials from a SHop (Jump is right next to the Stick). This may make me start using L/R to jump on a GC controller, mattering which controller I get. I feel no input lag and that's always a great thing, before someone says "Oh well it's because you've always played with the input lag" I'd like to make it more clear that I have not. I am a speedrunner and have a good feel for frames and timing. If there was an input lag, I would feel it.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
While I treat all my controllers very nicely, I'd rather not chance on breaking my nice gamepad...

If you can use whatever your controller is in a way where you can do everything that you personally want to do, then no you are not at a disadvantage. Controllers and I'll also say control style setups don't matter. The results screen is the only thing that matters.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
While I treat all my controllers very nicely, I'd rather not chance on breaking my nice gamepad...

If you can use whatever your controller is in a way where you can do everything that you personally want to do, then no you are not at a disadvantage. Controllers and I'll also say control style setups don't matter. The results screen is the only thing that matters.
What's funny is that there's a debate in another thread about certain results screens to do with Sudden Death.

Anyway, basically this. The gamepad (at least mine) feels nice and sturdy though, at least right now. If it began being broken in too much I would probably switch to the GC controller or the Pro controller. Still don't know which.

TrackStarThomas

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've used only the gamepad so far. I like it, but I also just don't want to buy more accessories (got wii u as christmas present- currently saving as much as I can). Let me just say this, smash bros. for wii u has humbled me tremendously! There are some hardcore gamers out there. I only have a 53.xx win percentage in for glory.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The most valid reasoning is that only one player can use it in a given match. Sure, finding two Gamepad users who are unable to use the Pro Controller is highly unlikely, but rules and regulations should always account for the worst case scenario in case it happens.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
My state has them banned at tourneys simply because of the reason above that 2 cannot be played on the same Wii U, which is reasonable. I actually like playing the gamepad, but have to change the controls because Shield/Grab buttons imo should be switched. I kind of imagine it like a big 3ds(which I enjoy playing with as well) so I set the same controls for it too. I'll be waiting out till the adapter prices go down, but I feel that gamepad controller is completely viable for tournament play.

Last edited:

Xperious

Smash Rookie
I use the gamepad because I don't have a Pro Controller or a Gamecube adapter. While I am used to it now for the most part, it was getting used to it that was the problem... I would sometimes hit the r-stick with my thumb by accident, and kill myself as a consequence.

If you get used to it, I don't think you are at too much of a disadvantage using the gamepad, but I would switch to a Gamecube controller in a heartbeat if I could.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I only main the Gamepad simply because that's all I have. I may consider investing in a Wii U Pro controller, but I've always liked the Gamepad in all games on the Wii U, and I got very comfortable with the 3DS controls as well, so the Gamepad has never really been too big of an issue to me.

However, I don't like the default controls witht he Gamepad. Not only do I not want the tap jump or rumble on, but I prefer to switch the shield buttons with the grab buttons, to feel more like the Gamecube controller. And exiting a match on the Gamepad is very awkward.

Though, I hope adapters come back in stock sometime in the next decade. I have yet to experience the game at all with a Gamecube controller.

Xperious

Smash Rookie
However, I don't like the default controls witht he Gamepad. Not only do I not want the tap jump or rumble on, but I prefer to switch the shield buttons with the grab buttons, to feel more like the Gamecube controller. And exiting a match on the Gamepad is very awkward.
That's what I do as well. It amazes me they didn't just do it like that by default. There have been times I have forgotten to select my name before a match and therefore had to use he default controls, and it really throws me off.

2busywinning

Smash Rookie
It all boils down to: If you use something for long enough, that's what you become accustomed to. Personally, I prefer a GC controller due to all the melee I've played. I bought one of those 3rd party controllers with the Yoshi egg on it b/c of the GC controller adapter seems to be impossible to find (for now at least) but I'm borrowing a friend's adapter so for now, I'm straight using the adapter.

I'm sure with enough practice, I or anything else could get used to holding that huge game pad for smash but honestly, I don't want to get used to it. I'm just fine using what I've got.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I never was able to find a GC adapter, so I've been using the GamePad since release. I even like playing For Glory on the Pad while watching Smash streams.

I don't feel handicapped by the controller. It has all the necessary buttons. No idea how people use the Wiimote + Remote though.

X-Ployt

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Ployt
I bought a Pro controller after using the gamepad for a week after release of the game, and I personally find it to improve my reaction time and coordination compared to the gamepad. Perhaps it's because my hands aren't huge, so the weight throws off my coordination, because I'm trying to hold it while adjusting the position of my hand between hitting the face buttons and shoulder buttons.

I also suffer from sweaty hands, and while it's still a problem with the Pro controller, the gamepad makes it even harder to maintain good hand positioning as I perspire, because of that weight.

On a semi-related note, these darn controllers get dirty so easy and I have to wipe them every time I play. I would love it if someone like Scuf could make an improved pro controller without that glossy face, add rubber grips and threw two back paddles on it. That would help eliminate my problem with sweating, and of course have better control options.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
[quote="ATH_, post: 18348620, member: 270735"If there was an input lag, I would feel it.
[/quote]
Truly...incredible response. Of my 200+ posts this was the best response to one. Thank you. XD

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
:3
In all seriousness, you make a good point. It really doesn't matter that much unless you can notice it. Honestly, I've been using the gamepad ever since I got this game due to the severe lack of GC adapters, and while it's really *ahem* wide, I think it works fine in terms of input lag. The real issue with the gamepad's viability is that

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
:3
In all seriousness, you make a good point. It really doesn't matter that much unless you can notice it. Honestly, I've been using the gamepad ever since I got this game due to the severe lack of GC adapters, and while it's really *ahem* wide, I think it works fine in terms of input lag. The real issue with the gamepad's viability is that
That's the issue. You probably wouldn't want to get too accustomed to just the gamepad because that could cause issues for you at irl tournaments.

However, I just realized that I really like the Gamepad! I use three of the shoulder buttons for different functions, left bumper for jump, left trigger for grabs, and right bumper for shields. On the Wii U Pro Controller, for comfort, I need to have my left index finger hover over both the trigger and the bumper. My hands just do not feel right while having both the middle and index finger on the bumper and trigger. However, the Gamepad has lowered the trigger buttons in the back, which is actually very comfortable. The only thing I don't like about the Gamepad's design is the extra distance between the right analog stick and the buttons (particularly the A button), but I could get used to it.

Now I'm wishing I could just lower the triggers on the Wii U Pro Controller. Then it would be perfect.

Mosjober16

Smash Rookie
I love using the wii u gamepad simply because Nintendo forgot that over half of the smash community love using GC controllers.I used to play Brawl non competitivly with my friends a lot and got very accustomed with the GC controller but I cant use it anymore because finding a damn adapter for my NEW Smash Bros Gamecube contoller in my small city in Canada is basically impossible without dropping 80$+. Ive actually gotten kind of good with my gamepad but I havent seen/ heard of anybody with my control scheme, while i bet there is somebody out there, all thats really different is that I have my B and Y switched with tap jump off and ZL is grab while ZR is shield. (For those who cant comprehend Y is now special and B is now jump). If i ever enter a tournament (highly unlikely) they better let me use a gamepad or im basically just going to get Wombo Comboed.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I use the gamepad. But lately been using th CC just get acustomed to a smaller controller by the time my GC adapter gets here in like five ****inn years XD But if the Gamepad could be wired and could avoid the weird wrieless bluetooth trouble you get at tourneys, i"d use the huge thing still. XD It keeps my hands warm^^

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I primarily use the Gamepad and I love it. The button placement is really nice, and the C Stick placement is impeccable. Not to mention the extra screen. I really hope they don't straight up ban Gamepad's, because I love it more than any other controller I've used for Smash.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
My TV has terrible Input Lag. My Gamepad is a little faster so that's why I use that. Now, as a controller I think it's ok. I do better with a small screen right in front of me rather than a large TV that's a couple feet away. There's a lot of variables though. I can't get my hands on a Gamecube adapter.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I have a friend who sucks with every controller EXCEPT for the gamepad. He claims that every tournament he goes to he'll walk be like: "hi guys, check out my gamepad"

Jugoken

Smash Cadet
what about doing advanced techs like perfect pivoting, is it more difficult on the pad?

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
One of the guys who came to my last tournament used a gamepad and he did well. [DLC] was his name. I ultimately eliminated him from the tourney, but it was awesome seeing him use that thing. I use it casually, and when I'm playing with my five year old, but I love gamecube and pro controller much more.

Top Bottom