• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GameCube controller users- What button do you use to jump?

What you use on the GameCube controller to jump?

• Total voters

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
For those of you who use a GameCube controller with Smash, how do you usually jump- tap jump, X, or Y? I have tap jump disabled, and I usually use X to jump (not any real specific reason why).

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I primarily use :GCY: to jump, and I use default controls, including Tap Jump turned on. Tap Jump is mostly for easier double sticking (I think it's the only way SH fair can autocancel, correct me if I'm wrong) and OoS options.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I use Y to jump and I set the X on grab. I once tried L to jump but I can't change it in my muscle memory, it's too weird.

iFLuX

Smash Rookie
I mostly use :GCX:, my :GCY: is grab.
I also use :GCLT: for jump for quick multi inputs (like shieks jump needle to bouncing fish, as it's easier to use :GCB:+:GCLT: than :GCB:+:GCX:, and I hate claw grip)

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I use L for any rising aerials, especially ones that auto-cancel out of a short hop like Fox's Uair/Bair or needs quick aerials like Robin's Levin Sword aerials. (for checkmate especially, or quick aerials after a throw)

I use Y for everything else like falling aerials and consistent short-hopping.

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I use default controls, so Tap Jump and X.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Y for almost everything

L for OoS options and needles > bf for sheik, and for double sticking buffered sh uair w/o tap jump

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Y and L. L is awesome for instant DJ aerials as well as buffering moves during your jump-squat animation. To anyone out there who doesn't use one of their shoulder buttons, I would highly recommend setting it to jump and messing around with it.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Y and L. L is awesome for instant DJ aerials as well as buffering moves during your jump-squat animation. To anyone out there who doesn't use one of their shoulder buttons, I would highly recommend setting it to jump and messing around with it.
I tried to set :GCRT: for the same purpose; but it did not work out. Since I play with Tap Jump on, I figured it would be better to just double-stick it. I also need :GCLT: as shield so I can roll and spot dodge with one hand. Or maybe it's because I'm used to playing with default controls (I only set a tag to turn off rumble lol).

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I use Z, I guess that's not very common. It's a lot better than L or R for jump, and you don't have to claw when doing aerials. I also played Halo a lot, so having the right bumper as jump is natural for me. This was also the only way I could get Charizard's Nair and Fair to auto cancel, you only have a frame or two to start them after you jump or they won't auto-cancel so being able to buffer them is kind of important. Jump canceling up-smashes becomes kind of a problem if you're trying to buffer an up-air.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Surprised to see so many Ys, most YouTubers I've watched use X. Kinda assumed that meant everyone did :p

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
I primarily use :GCY: to jump, and I use default controls, including Tap Jump turned on. Tap Jump is mostly for easier double sticking (I think it's the only way SH fair can autocancel, correct me if I'm wrong) and OoS options.
ur wrong lol

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
I use Y to jump and I set the X on grab. I once tried L to jump but I can't change it in my muscle memory, it's too weird.
I tried to use L as B and it was the same. I thought throwing eggs would be easier, but I never could remember to do it ,

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I feel like this is a unique style and it might not be optimal but it works for me but I use both Y and Tap Jump. Most of the time I find myself using Y but especially with characters like Puff who have several jumps I just naturally tap jump sometimes. I've always played a little bit of Puff no matter what smash game and I'm used to Melee where no tap jump wasn't a thing so you couldn't turn it off to prevent yourself from accidentally jumping. Yes tap jump makes up tilts harder technically but by using both Y and Tap Jump I can do things like use specials in the air while simultaneously jumping and down air while jumping up.
That's just my unique style since I don't claw at all with GC controllers (in xbox Halo I claw but it's uncomfortable for me so I don't do it in Smash). With that said I don't think there's a significant advantage to Y, X, Tap. Like yes you can save tiny fractions of a second using this instead of that in certain scenarios but I think it is more preference. Most of my friends play tap jump off.

Top Bottom