• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS GameCube Controller to 3DS Input Redirection

Are you interested in the project "GameCube Controller to 3DS Input Redirection"

• Yes, I'm interested!

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No, I'm not interested...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nathix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nathix

Hi everyone!
I wanted to present you an idea I've been developing for the last few weeks.

Situation

Everyone that has played Smash for 3DS knows the feeling of playing on the small console and how unconfortable it can be to play without a real controller. Nothing compared to the good old GC controller, that has nearly become a must-have for any smasher (although there are some good alternatives).
And even if the Wii U version has become the "de-facto" setup for competitive play, if the portable version had some better controls, it could be a good alternative for training or friendlies "on-the-go". At least that's what convinced me to present this idea.

Software
I developed a small software running on Linux which, using the really good wii-u-gc-adapter by ToadKing, sends the input from the GC controller to a 3DS, running the custom firmware Luma3DS (more on the topic 3DS homebrew on https://3ds.guide/). The latency in optimal conditions has the potential to be really low, meaning this thing could be suitable for competitive play. You will be able to connect up to four controllers to four different consoles and it will run even without internet connection.

Requirements
  • The official Wii U GameCube Adapter (or the one by Mayflash in PC mode).
  • A new 3DS running Luma3DS CFW. The new 3DS is almost needed because of the C Stick and extra buttons, as well as the increased performances.
  • A laptop, or better a Raspberry Pi or similar single board computers, which are usually really cheap.
Alternatives
There are some alternatives running on Windows, but they generally require at least three software running at the same time in order to convert legacy input to XInput and send it to the 3DS. This could lead to extra input lag and they don't work offline.

Development stage

The software is still at an early stage and it needs a lot of optimization, but essentialy it works, and the results are satisfactory. With further development I'm sure it could get to a point where practically every technique of Smash for Wii U (like perfect pivoting and extended dash dancing) will be executable consistently on 3DS.
My aim is also make this software easy to setup so that everyone can use it.

Conclusion
Although this project may seem useless at first, I'm sure it has potential, but I'd like to hear your opinion on it. Tell me if you're interested and you'd like to see a further development, or if you don't feel the need to play the 3DS version with a proper controller.

TL;DR
I'd like to ear you opinion on a software (currently in development) able to let you play Smash for 3DS with a GameCube controller.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I'm really interested in this, although I do not have a Linux computer.

I remember watching a youtube video a few years back where a player somehow wired a gamecube controller to their 3ds and used it and thought it was so awesome.

I already own the Wii U version and have the official GCC adapter, so I will not be in need of this mod but I fully support it.

You got me excited!

Nathix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nathix
I'm really interested in this, although I do not have a Linux computer.

I remember watching a youtube video a few years back where a player somehow wired a gamecube controller to their 3ds and used it and thought it was so awesome.

I already own the Wii U version and have the official GCC adapter, so I will not be in need of this mod but I fully support it.

You got me excited!
I'm developing it on Linux to open up the possibility to use this on dedicated single board computers. In the future if the thing kicks off, I could think about porting it on Windows, although I think there will be more input lag due to the way Windows handles controllers and other factors. By that time there are ways of running it on Windows, even tought I will not be supporting it actively.

Last edited:

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I have only Linux pc's at home, and it's satisfying to see it used as the primary development platform instead of the afterthought.

Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS, tho if this becomes good I may change my mind for OTG practice.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
It's great that this is an option for people stuck with 3DS and are willing to get CFW to use a proper controller.
I personally am happy with the 3DS controller, but I could use some practice with the GCC, and otherwise thankful.
And as an already CFW using player, gamebannana has plenty of mods for you who decide to get luma for the first time.

Top Bottom