• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Gamecube controller question... (now that some people have the game)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Can anyone confirm if shielding works on any pressure of the L/R buttons or does it still only activate on digital click like in Brawl?

This will determine whether I get the GC adapter bundle or not so kinda a big deal for me...

Last edited:

Valacar

Smash Cadet
It works about one quarter (mid click) and is much faster response wise. However, if you have a modded controller (took the spring out for faster shielding in Melee/Brawl) you will be disapointed to find that it will not work in SSB4. What will happen is that you will either always be shielding (it gets stuck) or you will not shield at all (Straight up doesn't work) as the shield activates half-way through the spring function.

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1827489602&pf_rd_i=typ01

The Hori Battle Pad is the best controller. The main reason is that it has digital shoulder buttons, unlike the Gamecube controller. If you want to win, you should use this controller.

If you want to pretend that Smash Wii U is Melee (like most of the competitive community), then you should use the Gamecube controller and pretend that the Hori Battle Pad doesn't exist, so you can trick yourself into thinking you use the best controller.

*edit*
Wow. The prices on Amazon right now are really high. The Hori Battle Pad is normally $25, so if you decide to get it, maybe shop around first.

Last edited:

Valacar

Smash Cadet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1827489602&pf_rd_i=typ01

The Hori Battle Pad is the best controller. The main reason is that it has digital shoulder buttons, unlike the Gamecube controller. If you want to win, you should use this controller.

If you want to pretend that Smash Wii U is Melee (like most of the competitive community), then you should use the Gamecube controller and pretend that the Hori Battle Pad doesn't exist, so you can trick yourself into thinking you use the best controller.

*edit*
Wow. The prices on Amazon right now are really high. The Hori Battle Pad is normally $25, so if you decide to get it, maybe shop around first.
Prices probably went up because everyone realizes it's an amazing controller :D

Rauthian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rauthian
I loved those 1/4 shield presses. Glad it's back!

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
men i love the hori battlle pad but hate turbo controllers so i just stick with the gc controllers
Actually, it's possible to use the controller with the turbo function turned off. In fact, it defaults to off. Just because it has a turbo feature, doesn't mean every button will always be set to turbo. If you want turbo, you can use it. If you don't want turbo, just ignore the turbo feature altogether.

Not buying a controller because it includes an option for something you dislike, doesn't make sense. That would be like not buying Smash Brothers for Wii U because you hate playing the game with a wiimote sideways.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
its
Actually, it's possible to use the controller with the turbo function turned off. In fact, it defaults to off. Just because it has a turbo feature, doesn't mean every button will always be set to turbo. If you want turbo, you can use it. If you don't want turbo, just ignore the turbo feature altogether.

Not buying a controller because it includes an option for something you dislike, doesn't make sense. That would be like not buying Smash Brothers for Wii U because you hate playing the game with a wiimote sideways.
i dont hate it, i just dont use it as much specially because using battery is something i dont like. The turbo comment was because of the position of it,in the heat of the battle i just end up pressing it by accident

Last edited:

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
its

i dont hate it, i just dont use it as much specially because using battery is something i dont like. The turbo comment was because of the position of it,in the heat of the battle i just end up pressing it by accident
Having the battery suddenly dying does suck. The Wii U doesn't even notify you when the battery is low. I hate wireless controllers even more than you.

But if the best controller is only available wireless, I just have to do my best to deal with it. The Gamecube controller is wired, which is great but it sucks compared to the Hori Battle Pad when it comes to actually playing Smash, so who cares if it's wired or not.

I've never accidentally turned on the turbo feature when using the Hori Battle Pad. You would have to have your left thumb slip off the analog stick and travel all the way to the center of the controller and hold down the turbo button, and then at the same time, press an action button with another finger.

Deadzombie

Smash Rookie
I just bought a Hori fight pad several weeks ago. I really dont wanna go back to the GC controller. The shoulder buttons are just so quiet and easier to play with. Also another Z button isn't to bad to map with either. Virtually no input lag from it being wireless too. Which is a plus

the only issue is that you need a chuck to play with it if you dont have an adapter of some sort. And I'm almost postive you have to reset smash bros software everytime you connect without a sensor bar in. Other wise the controller goes haywire once you sync it up and keeps pounding in the up stick

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I have the Hori pad as a way to have a GCC until I could get the adapter. I find it rather inferior to the GCC despite the extra should button (which I never use anyway). The C-stick on the GCC is just sooooo much better.

Deadzombie

Smash Rookie
I have the Hori pad as a way to have a GCC until I could get the adapter. I find it rather inferior to the GCC despite the extra should button (which I never use anyway). The C-stick on the GCC is just sooooo much better.
i can agree on the c-stick having better response. You can't flick it. You have to actually commit everytime which direction

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
yeah
i can agree on the c-stick having better response. You can't flick it. You have to actually commit everytime which direction

Having the battery suddenly dying does suck. The Wii U doesn't even notify you when the battery is low. I hate wireless controllers even more than you.

But if the best controller is only available wireless, I just have to do my best to deal with it. The Gamecube controller is wired, which is great but it sucks compared to the Hori Battle Pad when it comes to actually playing Smash, so who cares if it's wired or not.

I've never accidentally turned on the turbo feature when using the Hori Battle Pad. You would have to have your left thumb slip off the analog stick and travel all the way to the center of the controller and hold down the turbo button, and then at the same time, press an action button with another finger.
It happens to me every time i wanna combo a perfect pivot

Top Bottom