• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller not working in Project M

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey Project M peps,

Ok, I installed 2.1 last time in every way possible, but my gamecube controller will not read project M on my wii at all. Only wiimotes/classic controllers work. I tried it again in 2.5 hoping that it would fix itself, but it has not, and my Project M SD card works perfect on my friend's wii, but not mine. Please don't tell me to install/re-install because I've done it 2x for every installation configure, and it doesn't work. I've also looked for this issue on google & I've found several other people have this issue, but no solution :/

My wii is Hackless, and I did fullset--through the installer

Ideas anyone? How can I fix this?

Thanks,

~Gadiel

jalued

Smash Lord
Just to say: I remember this was also a problem for a few people when 2.1 was released. I hope that the PMBR can offer a solution because it seems to be more common than people realise

Zodiac

Smash Master
My c-stick would randomly stop working on wifi, and that is true of a lot of people.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Today in teams, it wouldn't let me steal my teammate's extra stock for some reason.

EDIT: I'm a little embarrassed about this post :/

cannedbread

Smash Lord
stock steal is a+b in brawl just in case you didn't know

i don't know how to help the rest of y'all

did you try resetting the controller? x+y+start?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
QWA, did you press A+B to steal the stock? It was changed to A+B instead of start in brawl.

Has anyone with these gamecube controllers not working issue tried a different version of Gecko OS? I remember someone said a while ago that this fixed the issue. I'm not entirely sure, though.

Shaz

Smash Rookie
My wavebird's c-stick fails randomly, and pretty much all of a friend's controllers have issues. One continuously shields (resulting in constant shieldbreaks and unplayable matches) despite not holding R/L in anything but a match. Another holds C to the right while in a game or the character/stage select screens, resulting in the inability to shield (instead, always rolls to the right); holding C slightly to the left while plugging in the controller fixes the character/stage select screens, but not in matches. The last controller has a completely non-working C stick.

These controllers work well in other games, and if we swap around the port placement, we can occasionally get them to work fine in PM.

Note that I haven't tested these controllers with 2.5 except for my Wavebird, whose c-stick worked perfectly fine in 2.1 but fails randomly in 2.5. I'm playing some 2.5 with the other controllers tonight, so we'll see how it goes. The point is, controllers be buggy!

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Well my gamecube controller doesn't work at all. It works fine w/ wii-mote after I tried it, but I basically cannot play P:M w/ Gamecube :/

How do I change the Geko format? I have a hackless Wii, so I only use whatever I could download through P:M website.

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
I've NEVER had a problem with any of my controllers across a wide range of Wiis and SD cards. When my friends complain of issues, it's usually because their controllers are around 8 years old or something...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Well my gamecube controller doesn't work at all. It works fine w/ wii-mote after I tried it, but I basically cannot play P:M w/ Gamecube :/

How do I change the Geko format? I have a hackless Wii, so I only use whatever I could download through P:M website.
I would go try out some different version. Here's a few:

http://geckodownloads.googlecode.com/files/gecko1931.zip
http://wiibrew.org/w/images/7/7d/Open-Source-Gecko-OS.zip
http://filetrip.net/wii-downloads/other-files/start-geckoos-192-f7450.html

Revven

FrankerZ
To expand on what Shadic said, to replace Gecko OS you'd have to replace the boot.elf/boot.dol with the different version you want to try out.

SophyBer

Smash Apprentice
I've NEVER had a problem with any of my controllers across a wide range of Wiis and SD cards. When my friends complain of issues, it's usually because their controllers are around 8 years old or something...
Pretty much how things are with my peers. We actually go around buying off GCs and Wiis from people that don't use them often just so that we can have more and more set-ups for our get togethers and have spares to lend people that are looking to get into Smash. While buying off all this junk we tend to get some controllers too that we inspect for their worth and take them apart to use their good buttons/boards to make lesser good ones better. This process is kind of tedious but really rewarding in the end as it just helps out our players get better.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Hey Project M peps,

Ok, I installed 2.1 last time in every way possible, but my gamecube controller will not read project M on my wii at all. Only wiimotes/classic controllers work. I tried it again in 2.5 hoping that it would fix itself, but it has not, and my Project M SD card works perfect on my friend's wii, but not mine. Please don't tell me to install/re-install because I've done it 2x for every installation configure, and it doesn't work. I've also looked for this issue on google & I've found several other people have this issue, but no solution :/

My wii is Hackless, and I did fullset--through the installer

Ideas anyone? How can I fix this?

Thanks,

~Gadiel
i had this issue a while back and even after dant the wizard tried to help me out (even after installing other versions of gecko : /) i ended up having to use riivolution to load up p:m.

$heen

Smash Ace
Check your wii calendar. There's a weird bug where if your wii calendar hits the max, wii games stop reading the GC ports (GC games still work).
This happened to me when I replaced the internal battery.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
whoa, i'll look into that. never heard of that one before and the only game i have (gc or wii...) is brawl.

Top Bottom