• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Issues

Garrett Rogers

Smash Rookie
So i recently attended my first tournament and decided to buy a new gamecube controller. The one i bought was 55$ and i paid 20$ more to lower the trigger and get my buttons perforated. This seemed all good and the controller felt amazing until i realized that there were issues. Whenever i would try to dash dance, i would always end up going too far and doing the weird animation where you turn around and try and run really awkwardly. I have never had problems like this with my old controller, so it cant be user error. Overall i'm very confused and would just like my controller to work properly. Does anybody have any suggestions for what i could do?

Pauer

The Pauerful
The first thing I would check is whether you are actually keeping the stick in a horizontal line while dash-dancing. What might be happening is that due to the stick being perhaps more stiff or more loose than before, you accidentally hit the notch diagonally down sometimes, which causes the extended dash animation. To check that this isn't the case, slowly dash-dance left to right and make sure you are hitting the center notches on each side. If you don't have any issues while doing this slowly and concentrating on getting the inputs right, you might just have to retrain yourself a little bit with the new controller.

Garrett Rogers

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input man! I have tested what you said, and is perfectly aligning with all of the issues i've had thus far. I tried doing the slow concentrating dash dances and it works 100% fine there. I believe that the issue is that i'm going a little bit too hard on the stick and am losing grip of it because i used to use a type 1 stick and have gotten a type 2 in my new controller. Anyways, i'm most likely just going to play on my new controller and really get a feel for it. Thanks!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Are you using the same character? Characters with shorter dash animations do not allow you to hold the control as long, so doing a DD with Sheik the same way you do with Marth would cause this effect. To be sure, I would give the controller to someone else and don't tell them what the problem is. I can't see how this could be a controller issue unless your last controller had super sensitive dashing because no matter how the control stick feels, if you're moving it to the other side of the gate before the previous dash ends, it should absolutely be DDing properly.

Top Bottom