• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller anolog stick mod

Iomegared

Smash Rookie
I need some experience with people that had don mods with the gamecube left analog stick. I would like to know if you can change it with the ps4 one or the wii pro analog stick. Preferences of either the two or others. Change from original is because i have gone through about 6 analog sticks from the gamcube controller. I wore off 2 real original and 4 from ebay knock off. Granted the 2 original were used.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
You can fit just about any controllers stick onto a Gamecube Controller as long as the slot for the stick to go into is a horizontal bar. The stick on the controller it self is a bar with a little notch in it at the top, most sticks won't have the notch in it but a little force will make it fit.
I know of a few people that use a PS3 stick on their controllers and they like it but it really comes down to personal preference.

Iomegared

Smash Rookie
I am not sure how it would feel all i know is i need to change it because the original is clearly not working for me in terms of quality.
So if you could fit a ps3 stick on it would it then be safe to say a ps4 would work? I do not know the end size of the hole in comparison to the ps3. I would like to get this from ebay h t t p://w w w.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Alloy-Metallic-Metal-Analog-Thumbstick-for-PS4-Dualshock-4-Silver-/261490497361?pt=US_Video_Gaming_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ce20c5751
just so then i wouldn't need to worry about the rubber on it.

Iomegared

Smash Rookie
Also is the height of the ps3 stick the same as the original? I did read about the nunchuck from wii being used but they talk about the height of the stick being big.

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
You don't think that would hurt your fingers lol? If you want good quality sticks honestly just go to that guys store. He has a comparison image of his sticks and they are the same height as the gamecube ones.
h t t p://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com/products/7721187-colored-ps3-analog-stick

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
Are you talking about the plastic thumb-pad, or the actual joystick device?

Both are possible, but the latter is quite difficult depending on if your stick is soldered in or screwed in.

P 1

Smash Cadet
@ Kadano Kadano

really hoping you can give me a solid answer on how you modded the notches on your analogue for perfect wavedashes, shortest WD, etc. I have the angles, just curious as to what your method was.

if you have any schematics you developed as a part of the design process, recommended means of measuring the shell well, recommendations on effective and precise tools.

Anything you can tell me or show me to reduce the amount of top shells I have to waste would be greatly appreciated !

-P1

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Kadano Kadano

really hoping you can give me a solid answer on how you modded the notches on your analogue for perfect wavedashes, shortest WD, etc. I have the angles, just curious as to what your method was.

if you have any schematics you developed as a part of the design process, recommended means of measuring the shell well, recommendations on effective and precise tools.

Anything you can tell me or show me to reduce the amount of top shells I have to waste would be greatly appreciated !

-P1
I‘ve been working on this for 9 hours now, lol. I recorded the process of notch addition with my camera, but it encodes in mjpg which I just can’t find a way to put on Youtube. Just putting this out there so you know you will get a tutorial soon (hopefully).

Edit: @ P 1 P 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJ20lYS9bw

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
@ Kadano Kadano

small hump. can't find precise angles through mayflash--the GCpad confugration doesn't show them, idk where else. windows reads it using a 255^2 grid, and how to 360 degrees with that LOL.

sorry for the thread highjack. kind of relevant?

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Kadano Kadano

small hump. can't find precise angles through mayflash--the GCpad confugration doesn't show them, idk where else. windows reads it using a 255^2 grid, and how to 360 degrees with that LOL.

sorry for the thread highjack. kind of relevant?
I use Melee in Dolphin and develop mode to check my notch angles. I memorized the x|y coordinates that correspond to the 90±18° angles on my controller so I can quickly check whether it works. I started by doing a frame perfect wavedash in develop mode with using the custom notch 197° angle. On my controller, that is about y=99 with maximum / minimum x.

The main thing I suggested to use the value display for is whether your stick is centered. When you have your stick in a neutral position, it should be at 128|128 ideally. When you hold up/left/down/right, the other value (x/y/x/y) should stay at 128. If the value deviation is below 5 for all, I think you are fine with assuming it to be perfect. If it’s more, I recommend either moving your custom notches slightly in the according direction or, even better, modifying your stick box to center it. The latter is pretty hard and requires precision; I wrote what I know about it in the technical knowledge compilation linked in my signature.

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
I use Melee in Dolphin and develop mode to check my notch angles. I memorized the x|y coordinates that correspond to the 90±18° angles on my controller so I can quickly check whether it works. I started by doing a frame perfect wavedash in develop mode with using the custom notch 197° angle. On my controller, that is about y=99 with maximum / minimum x.

The main thing I suggested to use the value display for is whether your stick is centered. When you have your stick in a neutral position, it should be at 128|128 ideally. When you hold up/left/down/right, the other value (x/y/x/y) should stay at 128. If the value deviation is below 5 for all, I think you are fine with assuming it to be perfect. If it’s more, I recommend either moving your custom notches slightly in the according direction or, even better, modifying your stick box to center it. The latter is pretty hard and requires precision; I wrote what I know about it in the technical knowledge compilation linked in my signature.
wonderful info. you know the coordinates for longest / shortest WD? any other useful angles to coordinates you can give me would be appreciated.

Kadano

Magical Express
wonderful info. you know the coordinates for longest / shortest WD? any other useful angles to coordinates you can give me would be appreciated.
They are flexible and depend on your stickbox/octagon range. As I said above, on my controller it’s y=99 with min/max x.

P 1

Smash Cadet
They are flexible and depend on your stickbox/octagon range. As I said above, on my controller it’s y=99 with min/max x.
could you also give me the shortest WD coordinates?

also, this question might be an easy one for you: how does the shortest WD angle relate to the optimal angle to use for the ledge drop in perfect ledge dashes. i'm wondering if using the same angle would give me good or negligible results.

you should really make a thread for this (sorry if there is and i'm clueless). I expect this to become fairly popular.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
could you also give me the shortest WD coordinates?
They are the same as the longest ones except with x and y swapped.

also, this question might be an easy one for you: how does the shortest WD angle relate to the optimal angle to use for the ledge drop in perfect ledge dashes. i'm wondering if using the same angle would give me good or negligible results.

For a perfect ledgedash on a 90±18° notch modded controller, you could drop with the shortest WD angle (252° notch) and quickly slide it to the longest WD angle (198° notch) while you input jump and air dodge. This would give you perfect ledgedashes with some characters in some ECB states. (Sheik in her most common ECB state, for example. Also Marth in all of them – he has no ECB state distinction due to his low second jump acceleration)

you should really make a thread for this (sorry if there is and i'm clueless). I expect this to become fairly popular.
Info dump threads here that aren’t stickied vanish very quickly. I think having it explained in the video guide is better at spreading knowledge.

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
They are the same as the longest ones except with x and y swapped.

For a perfect ledgedash on a 90±18° notch modded controller, you could drop with the shortest WD angle (252° notch) and quickly slide it to the longest WD angle (198° notch) while you input jump and air dodge. This would give you perfect ledgedashes with some characters in some ECB states. (Sheik in her most common ECB state, for example. Also Marth in all of them – he has no ECB state distinction due to his low second jump acceleration)

Info dump threads here that aren’t stickied vanish very quickly. I think having it explained in the video guide is better at spreading knowledge.
you gave me all the info i'll need to successfuly do this now, but i'm still unclear about one little thing.

you have me slightly worried.

Fox is fine regardless of his ECB states, correct? he's fox.

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
your knowledge drops are insane. mmk that is all. <3

once again, tyvm.
been working on this a little kadano, and i want to share some ideas with you and ask you a question.

so, here is my product. it's fairly imprecise and rough. i get good results with it, but i can't help but think about how to make it perfect. the tools used were a huge limitation (similar method as you), and i think in order to get this perfect, a detail sander would be necessary, as well as a perfectly scaled diagram.

this is the rough schematic i've made for an idealized analogue gate:

some things could be scaled better, but you get the point.

(red = 22mm)

thoughts? i personally don't find the upper half of the 18° deviations to be too useful. i'd rather the upper half be slightly rounded (expanding it proportionately with the bottom halfs expansion).

the question:

you mentioned that 198° is located at y=99 with max x value, and the 342° position being at y=99 with a min x value. this doesn't appear to check out at all with my results. i'm getting ~185-175 as the y value (getting very great wavedashes), with min and max x values for the longest WD. at rest position it reads (127,127), so there's nothing insane going on.

the coordinate to angle conversion is probably the biggest hump i'm experiencing right now. i'm wondering if you can clarify my confusion between our coordinates, because once i know the coordinates for each shortest and longest WD, i can finally get to more trials, and possibly the purchasing of some necessary tools.

get back to me when you can pls.

Last edited:

olid

Smash Rookie
been working on this a little kadano, and i want to share some ideas with you and ask you a question.

so, here is my product. it's fairly imprecise and rough. i get good results with it, but i can't help but think about how to make it perfect. the tools used were a huge limitation (similar method as you), and i think in order to get this perfect, a detail sander would be necessary, as well as a perfectly scaled diagram.

(red = 22mm)

thoughts? i personally don't find the upper half of the 18° deviations to be too useful. i'd rather the upper half be slightly rounded (expanding it proportionately with the bottom halfs expansion).

the question:

you mentioned that 198° is located at y=99 with max x value, and the 342° position being at y=99 with a min x value. this doesn't appear to check out at all with my results. i'm getting ~185-175 as the y value (getting very great wavedashes), with min and max x values for the longest WD. at rest position it reads (127,127), so there's nothing insane going on.

the coordinate to angle conversion is probably the biggest hump i'm experiencing right now. i'm wondering if you can clarify my confusion between our coordinates, because once i know the coordinates for each shortest and longest WD, i can finally get to more trials, and possibly the purchasing of some necessary tools.

I was looking for info about this mod that I saw on melee social. I knew it was aiden from the first comment. I have a few ideas that involve epoxy and fiber glass to make it more perfect. Once I have something I'll post here.

Kadano

Magical Express

(red = 22mm)

thoughts?
I don’t understand your illustration at all, sorry.
i personally don't find the upper half of the 18° deviations to be too useful.
If you play Fox or Falco, they are useful for wallhug up-B sweetspots.

I suspect you’re using Windows’ gamepad calibration function, which maps y as top=0. Dolphin’s Input Display maps y as bottom=0. That explains the large difference between our values. I recommend only using Dolphin for input value registering as you can easily check for the ±18° angles (17.1° to be exact) by doing wavedashes while moving closer to horizontal.

y=99 is just what I get on my main controller. When I use other controllers, this varies from 90 to 100.

You neither quoted nor tagged me (“@Kadano”), so I didn’t get a notification. I just now stumbled upon your reply.

I’ll create a proper illustration for the notch mod angles.

P 1

Smash Cadet
I don’t understand your illustration at all, sorry.
a lot of isn't measured, but it basically just expands the bottom half enough to get rid of the original notches and make the new notches dominant. Then it expands the width of the top proportionately with the bottom, while making it circular.

If you play Fox or Falco, they are useful for wallhug up-B sweetspots.
those angles incredibly variable, and dependent on your positioning relative to the edge. so you need more than just the 2 min and max of the range. it gives a good reference for the range of available angles though i suppose.

I suspect you’re using Windows’ gamepad calibration function, which maps y as top=0. Dolphin’s Input Display maps y as bottom=0. That explains the large difference between our values. I recommend only using Dolphin for input value registering as you can easily check for the ±18° angles (17.1° to be exact) by doing wavedashes while moving closer to horizontal.

y=99 is just what I get on my main controller. When I use other controllers, this varies from 90 to 100.
i tried to use dolphin originally, but the GCpad Configuration interface doesn't provide figures for the analogue inputs. i feel like i've checked everywhere, but i'm clearly missing something!

shouldn't make a difference, right? i'll just treat my y axis like 0 is 255 and 255 is 0.

You neither quoted nor tagged me (“@Kadano”), so I didn’t get a notification. I just now stumbled upon your reply.
OOPS ! hehe

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
I was looking for info about this mod that I saw on melee social. I knew it was aiden from the first comment. I have a few ideas that involve epoxy and fiber glass to make it more perfect. Once I have something I'll post here.
i'm interested in your idea. are you intending on making a cast of a top shell, or a type of augmented, modified octagon gate?

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i'm interested in your idea. are you intending on making a cast of a top shell, or a type of augmented, modified octagon gate?
I'm very interested in how making a cast of shells would work, as it would save me sooo much time on making fan modded controllers.

Kadano

Magical Express
@hectohertz Here is what I think is the optimal shape:

I think a half round file will be the best tool for making this shape.

i tried to use dolphin originally, but the GCpad Configuration interface doesn't provide figures for the analogue inputs. i feel like i've checked everywhere, but i'm clearly missing something!
Graphics → Advanced → Misc → Show Input Display

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
I'm very interested in how making a cast of shells would work, as it would save me sooo much time on making fan modded controllers.
both of the things i mentioned in that comment i would have NOOO clue how to do, which is why i'm so interested in what types of ideas he's interested in pursuing.

of course, the internet, and a little money, can get a man anything.

Last edited:

P 1

Smash Cadet
yep, that's looking to be pretty incredible. requires quite a bit of expansion though, which will end up resulting in more debris buildup on your analogue module.

definitely the ideal shape though, and will try once i get the tools. good stuff.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
yep, that's looking to be pretty incredible. requires quite a bit of expansion though, which will end up resulting in more debris buildup on your analogue module.

definitely the ideal shape though, and will try once i get the tools. good stuff.
debris from the sanding?

Has anyone attempted Kadano's hybrid gate?

Last edited:

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
For the ±18° notch mod, would i get the same results if I just the put them in the exact center of the unmodded notches? I'm assuming not just to be safe. Would be neat and save a little time. Don't have a protractor currently to determine on my own.

KneeIsLoveKneeIsLife

Smash Rookie
Yes there is. It's not vanilla, it helps you do certain angles much esier even though it was never intended to be like that. Ultimately, you change your controller physically.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Yes there is. It's not vanilla, it helps you do certain angles much esier even though it was never intended to be like that. Ultimately, you change your controller physically.
So? Removing the springs from your triggers is not vanilla, yet it's allowed. You're also changing the controller physically. Honestly, changing it physically doesn't mean it should be illegal, painting it is changing it physically too.

Inserio

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-8131-4530
I want to bump this and ask if anyone has done this method.

I think a half round file will be the best tool for making this shape.
If it's fairly easy in actual practice to get from the cardinal notches to the added notches, this seems so good it should be mandatory.

Kadano

Magical Express
I want to bump this and ask if anyone has done this method.

If it's fairly easy in actual practice to get from the cardinal notches to the added notches, this seems so good it should be mandatory.
Yeah, I’ve done it. It is really good. But initially it can be a bit hard to feel apart the straight left / right notches from the slightly up ones (and same for up / down).
I’ll soon offer pre-modded controllers by the way, for all people who don’t want to do it on their own or think they aren’t skilled enough to do it with sufficient precision.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I have a question for anyone who has removed the corner notches on their control stick gate (as would be the case with Kadano's recommended "optimal" configuration): how does it affect the execution of empty pivots (the kind done with this motion) and shield drops (the kind done by moving the control stick downwards after tilting it all or most of the way horizontally)?

At least the way I've learned them, those technique seem reliant on feeling the corner notch and settling the control stick in it, which means they would be more difficult to execute consistently if the notch wasn't there. I want to be reasonably sure that those techniques can still be used at approximately as easily (or more easily) with a modified control stick gate before I do anything to mine.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Kadano Kadano

Bump, am very curious for an answer to the question above (I understand making shield drop notches, however making shield drop notches on a round gate doesn't seem to work well and makes shield drops inconsistent in my experience). I wanted to know if there is a good way to keep the gate round, but to also make the adjustments to make pivots and shield drops as good or better than a regular controller.

Top Bottom