• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controller analogue stick replacement?

hobojoe7777

Smash Rookie
I've searched everywhere but all I could find were the cheap third party ones that are very low quality and the ones here which are sold out. Is there any way I could get an official one without buying another controller?

The stick caps on Wii classic pads can fit on Gamecube controllers. It's probably mostly a matter of preference, but I like them more than a Gamecube controller's stick cap. There's more friction of the surface, which helps reduce the risk of your grip slipping. The stick is longer, which means fully hitting a direction will take longer too. Do you have a classic pad or nunchuck?

hobojoe7777

Smash Rookie
unfortunetely, no I do not have a classic pad or nunchuck. and even if I did, I think I would prefer a gamecube cap. I searched once again for anyone who sells gamecube caps and after hours of searching, no results.

I'm thinking now of just getting a new smash edition controller, but I heard that the L and R buttons on the smash edition controllers get stuck when pushed at an angle due to a missing part that guides the trigger. has anyone experienced this? if not I guess I could just go and get one

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
Buy a Smash 4 controller and go on Amazon and buy a Tri-wing screwdriver. Open up the controller and replace the back with the old controller back and if you want you could keep the buttons from the older one by just taking the PCB with the Smash 4 stick and swapping it with the PCB of the old controller.
The new triggers are inconsistent IMO as some are better than others, some stick when pressed at an angle, others have less resistance so if you like your old triggers, stick with them.
The sticky triggers is not so much the metal bar (although it helps), but the housing where the trigger is causing it to stick.

hobojoe7777

Smash Rookie
thank you sir, that's a great idea! why did I not think of that :D
I think i'll do that tomorrow when I have the time.

Also, is it okay to get the cheaper 1$ tri-wing screwdrivers or should I get the more expensive ones? according to the reviews, the cheap screwdrivers last only for one or two uses. are they actually that bad?

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
You're better off getting the more expensive ones because they are much higher quality and not that much more expensive (6$ or 7$).

myK

Smash Rookie
bump.

In same boat, don't want to buy ****ty replacements from random stores. I'm about to just buy a new controller lol...

Top Bottom